• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - What Kind Of Raw Files Do Manga Publishers Work From?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Of course, let us not forget that scanning from the published books in Japan wasn't just the territory of those "other" groups. TokyoPop was infamous for literally importing the Japanese tankouban for some of the titles they licensed, putting them in the microwave to melt the spine glue, and scanning the pages to their computers to work with. The people at TP outright admitted doing this in interviews back in the 00s, too, which is kind of crazy to think about, nowadays.

Today, though, most newer manga have the benefit of having digital copies, which the companies here have the benefit of using. I know that Ed Chavez, back when he was with Vertical, stated numerous times before that part of the reason why he was hesitant to not do as much vintage titles was because there was no guarantee that there would be a digital version to work off of, i.e. it was more work (& money) to have to rely on physical material.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
I remember publishers complaining about not receiving digital files in the past, but that's not come to my ears in recent years anymore. I think that was once a legit problem.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the original question may have been missed.
The answerman was getting to it, but not all the way.

As someone who has worked in manga localizing as a typesetter/editor, I usually work from digital files that have been sent to the printer in Japan, which in this case is probably the "blueline" they were talking about. They're semi flattened, so I don't have to clean up dialogue bubbles - that's a layer I turn off. But sound effects and handwritten stuff has to be cleaned and redrawn still.

Some English publishers do still scan books I hear if they're dealing with older titles or just have downright bad relationships with their Japanese publisher.

And calling original art "Raws" isn't a pirated term. It's an industry term too. It's what we call the original source, and in this case they're the original digital art pages.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
@littlegreenwolf: I think that's more what they were asking, too. Thanks for your input on the matter!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meanwhile, the manga pages that overseas manga publishers get from the original Japanese publishers are basically the same 1-1/2 generation digital scans / files that were used to print the comics in the Japanese editions. Therefore, they are “cleaner” than the “raw” 3rd generation photos shot from the printed magazine by uhmmm… people who aren't the original creators or authorized publishers of the material.

I'm not sure what you're reading that fits the 'scanlations aren't cleaned' idea you have, but the majority of stuff that scanlation groups release are highly polished, cleaned images. Every so often you'll find something really rough, like those scans from the Chinese version, but that's more an exception to the rule. A lot of scanlation groups, particularly those that are releasing titles that have yet to be licensed in the US, take great pride in the quality of their releases. So, to lump them all disparagingly like this does bother me.

I've never understood why the author of Manga Answerman has to resort to insulting commentary. I've read your column every week. I get that you don't like scanlation groups because you're losing sales to them. Fine. At this point, it's like listening to an broken record. Consistently bringing it up makes me just drown out any point you had to express in your article. Unless the question solely focuses on piracy, I feel like this column could be a lot better if you simply answer the question instead of inserting your opinion about scanlations every single time.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, the manga pages that overseas manga publishers get from the original Japanese publishers are basically the same 1-1/2 generation digital scans / files that were used to print the comics in the Japanese editions. Therefore, they are “cleaner” than the “raw” 3rd generation photos shot from the printed magazine by uhmmm… people who aren't the original creators or authorized publishers of the material.

I'm not sure what you're reading that fits the 'scanlations aren't cleaned' idea you have
, but the majority of stuff that scanlation groups release are highly polished, cleaned images.

How did you pull scanlations aren't cleaned from the article? Especially from the quoted section you're replying to. The author said official stuff gets official files from the source rather than having to scan stuff printed from official files from the source.

Author never said scanlators don't clean files. Never even suggested it.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
How did you pull scanlations aren't cleaned from the article? Especially from the quoted section you're replying to. The author said official stuff gets official files from the source rather than having to scan stuff printed from official files from the source.

Author never said scanlators don't clean files. Never even suggested it.

What part of "..people who aren't the original creators or authorized publishers of the material." does not refer to scanlations and/or other unauthorized copies of manga?
nijuuni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
When I first read the question, I parsed "too good" as, "wow there's *no* Japanese SFX, and the English SFX looks perfect; wow, they replaced the Japanese in the handwritten note with English while keeping the stationery's art fully intact".

Could Deb comment on this?
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I think the original question may have been missed.
The answerman was getting to it, but not all the way.

As someone who has worked in manga localizing as a typesetter/editor, I usually work from digital files that have been sent to the printer in Japan, which in this case is probably the "blueline" they were talking about. They're semi flattened, so I don't have to clean up dialogue bubbles - that's a layer I turn off. But sound effects and handwritten stuff has to be cleaned and redrawn still.

Some English publishers do still scan books I hear if they're dealing with older titles or just have downright bad relationships with their Japanese publisher.

And calling original art "Raws" isn't a pirated term. It's an industry term too. It's what we call the original source, and in this case they're the original digital art pages.

Thank you for clarifying. That was really enlightening! I agree, he focused too much on the pirating aspect and not enough on the person's actual question.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Thank you for clarifying. That was really enlightening! I agree, he focused too much on the pirating aspect and not enough on the person's actual question.

"Deb Aoki" is what you call a "girl"; note "her opinions" in original article at the footer. Just a heads-up; Justin Sevakis is the "answerman" so called, but Deb Aoki is the manga answerman and always has her articles called such.

For those who don't work in printing... before they made offset plates by computer, they used to be made by photography. The original art was photocopied, the text stuck on by hand, and photos taken with special cameras that produce transparencies like X-ray photos but three or five times the size. And then more photo work put the image on the plate. All hideously expensive, but also extremely awkward to store or transport. In those cases... you can't get the original art to re-scan, that's gone to the artist and might have been lost, sold, destroyed or in a museum collection, and getting an image off the film -- if you can find the film -- isn't fun. In those cases the best source can really be the printed book; I had to do this at work last week for a particular job.

[I'm in printing, but nothing to do with manga; commercial flyers, mostly. Digital all-rounder]
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a result, the image quality you see in the printed manga magazines is not as clean or crisp as the version of the same art you see in the printed graphic novel editions.

This statement is false.

First, it depends on the publisher. If you're buying Big Comics Superior or even Dengeki Oh, then sure the paper quality is extremely cheap and the quality looks like utter crap. However, if you go with something like Kadokawa's Gundam Ace, the paper is thicker and retains just as good quality (albeit better at times since it is LARGER than the compilation versions). If you buy digital editions, you're getting the same image quality that'll later appear in the compilation.

Here's the funny thing about printing though: with the shift to digital artwork, many times the printed material looks BETTER than the digital counterparts. I can't tell you how much better some patterns and colors come out in the magazine versus Kindle counterparts. Many of it looks a tad washed out due to gradients and what not that were utilized.

Quote:

This is hit and miss depending on the publisher. I've been provided files where I had unfettered access to everything presented on the page. This makes translation of text and sound effects a thousand times better. I've also been handed PDF files by publishers with instructions to extract the images myself, remove the text and replace it with English and then recompile it BACK into a PDF to send to them. Not the best practice in the world but I guess it works for them.

WIth more monthly magazines shifting to digital platforms, fewer and fewer scanlators are resorting to scanning material in.
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Of course, let us not forget that scanning from the published books in Japan wasn't just the territory of those "other" groups. TokyoPop was infamous for literally importing the Japanese tankouban for some of the titles they licensed, putting them in the microwave to melt the spine glue, and scanning the pages to their computers to work with. The people at TP outright admitted doing this in interviews back in the 00s, too, which is kind of crazy to think about, nowadays.

Today, though, most newer manga have the benefit of having digital copies, which the companies here have the benefit of using. I know that Ed Chavez, back when he was with Vertical, stated numerous times before that part of the reason why he was hesitant to not do as much vintage titles was because there was no guarantee that there would be a digital version to work off of, i.e. it was more work (& money) to have to rely on physical material.

Damn, this explains succinctly a possible reason why there isn't a digital version of Seven Seas' Classic Devilman Collection... This is considering Nagai-sensei is not like Urasawa-sensei who totally condemns digital versions of his work, since derivatives/spinoffs like Devilman Grimoire and Cutie Honey a Go Go! are available digitally... Anime cry7
polemarch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm not sure what you're reading that fits the 'scanlations aren't cleaned' idea you have, but the majority of stuff that scanlation groups release are highly polished, cleaned images. Every so often you'll find something really rough, like those scans from the Chinese version, but that's more an exception to the rule. A lot of scanlation groups, particularly those that are releasing titles that have yet to be licensed in the US, take great pride in the quality of their releases. So, to lump them all disparagingly like this does bother me.

The author does say that scanlations are generally cleaned because they mostly have no other choice in this regard:
Quote:
Many scanlation sites use these 3rd generation scans of the printed manga from magazines as the basis for the versions of the manga stories that they distribute. Because these magazine pages are printed on rougher, lower quality paper, you'll see things like ghost images from the other side of the page, or smudges on the “raw” images that need to be “cleaned up” in digital image editing programs like Photoshop.

The following paragraph of the article you have cited is more about how faithful the reproductions are. The digital files a publisher has are more "cleaner" in the sense that they don’t have to be heavily photoshopped. While for a scanlations they often need to remove the grain of the paper, remove the ghost panels shining through the paper, remove specks, remove compression artifacts, adjust color levels, and so on, which will lose you some details. All this is done to basically undo the printing process and (sometimes also undoing bad scanning processes) to try to return to the pre-printing 2nd generation stage. These processes take a toll and there is often a trade-off involved in doing all this post processing while still maintaining sharp edges, high contrast, fine line details and smooth grayscale gradients. Often a scanlation is missing in at least one of these or vice versa trying to prioritize one of these aspects.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
I remember in last week's chapter of One Piece, the official spelling of the World Government capital was revealed...which turned out to be "Mary Geoise" and was printed as big gray letters with a backdrop of a cloud-filled sky. I'm guessing Viz receives Eiichiro Oda's scans (considering he still draws them as ink on paper) without that superimposed text, or the text is in a separate layer so it can be changed, because Viz had already committed to spelling it "Marijoa" and the Viz version was edited to read that.
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I remember in last week's chapter of One Piece, the official spelling of the World Government capital was revealed...which turned out to be "Mary Geoise" and was printed as big gray letters with a backdrop of a cloud-filled sky. I'm guessing Viz receives Eiichiro Oda's scans (considering he still draws them as ink on paper) without that superimposed text, or the text is in a separate layer so it can be changed, because Viz had already committed to spelling it "Marijoa" and the Viz version was edited to read that.

This probably won't get read because it's been a few days and I completely forgot I had this tab open, but the translator for One Piece said that he basically has a text layer from the Japanese files sent over to the Viz office that he can edit in order to make sure stuff like names or titles or whatever can be changed to match the style guide, since some decisions have been made years before any kind of English transliteration has been made obvious in the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1