• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Yuki Kajiura

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought L.A. was known for being fairly filthy in regards to air quality? Amazed she's impressed at how the sky looks. Nice little interview. I was hoping it would go more in depth about her process, but I'm sure she was busy.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I thought L.A. was known for being fairly filthy in regards to air quality? Amazed she's impressed at how the sky looks. Nice little interview. I was hoping it would go more in depth about her process, but I'm sure she was busy.

L.A. hasn't had a smog problem since like the early '90s. Common misconception. The air's clear most everywhere here.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Am I remembering correctly that Ms. Kajiura left her management agency or something a while back? Or am I confusing that with one of the members of Kalafina (for whom she writes all the songs) leaving the group.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Am I remembering correctly that Ms. Kajiura left her management agency or something a while back? Or am I confusing that with one of the members of Kalafina (for whom she writes all the songs) leaving the group.

Both are correct.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I did ask (respectfully) about this, but the question was cut. (Kinda figured it would be.)
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
I did ask (respectfully) about this, but the question was cut. (Kinda figured it would be.)

Thanks for trying, at least. It's a very touchy subject right now, but I would like to know where she's currently looking, if anywhere, for her future. Not necessarily companies, but a direction in her life and what this change means for her thus far.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see her.One of the few musical guests i would do almost anything to see.I wish i had more time to plan to go this con.I would have flown to see her from the east coast.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

L.A. hasn't had a smog problem since like the early '90s. Common misconception. The air's clear most everywhere here.

Google tells me it's got double to triple the air pollution as Tokyo, Kyoto, and the Midwestern City I'm from. So that's still pretty disgusting by my standards, but I'm glad to hear they've improved. Still odd that it's so much worse than even Tokyo and she had the opinion she shared.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
JacobC wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Google tells me it's got double to triple the air pollution as Tokyo, Kyoto, and the Midwestern City I'm from. So that's still pretty disgusting by my standards, but I'm glad to hear they've improved. Still odd that it's so much worse than even Tokyo and she had the opinion she shared.

I literally live here, which is why I bring it up. It's not smoggy at all. The dirtiest the air gets is downtown/around Hollywood, by which I mean the air pollution seems even perceptible at all in those places (sometimes). But if you have some mental image of visible smog in the air/blocking the sun or sky at all, that's not the case.

Having been to Tokyo, my guess is that she's referring to how far buildings are spaced apart/generally shorter outside of downtown LA, making the sky seem much more open, to say nothing of the southwest coast's distinctive sunlight patterns. The vistas are extremely pretty here, basically, and it's easy to run across a lot of them.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I think that this picture might help to carry over the meaning of Kajiura's words:

Yes there is some pollution but the sky still looks blue. It's not like Beijing in 2013.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
That outfit in the picture is really distracting me. I keep thinking I'm looking at some violent Japanese horror film.

Great interview overall. I really hope she gets back on her feet soon, she's still one of my favorite anime composers of all time.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for doing this interview, Jacob!

As it's one of my favorite works she's composed for, I have to ask, is there a particular reason Kara no Kyoukai wasn't brought up in the interview, or even listed as something she's composed for? I know it's a little older and/or less well-known than the other works you listed, but from what I've seen it seems like Kara no Kyoukai often gets glossed over when people talk about her oeuvre, which is a bit disappointing.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Darn, if only I was going to AX this year, it would have totally made up for the previously cancelled concert she was supposed to have.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Surprised she found California pretty. I find it junk here. I say that as someone that lives close to LA.

But I am glad she is still giving concerts.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Inio Asano, Mari Okada, and now Yuki Kajiura. I can't remember such a high concentration of big name interviewees.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2