Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Spring 2018


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rika Hue



Joined: 19 Dec 2015
Posts: 86
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Hinamatsuri and Megalo Box with a 1-2 finish! YEAH BOY

I hope anime and non-anime fans will enjoy these for years to come!

Good job to all the other shows as well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kinghumanity



Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 280
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Check out the fall of Darling in the Franxx lmao Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thewrll



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Lupin will always be number 1 in a year where Gintama isn't airing. Magical Girl Ore needed to be much higher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoldenCrimson2020



Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
Great to see that DAnime hyper HERO FINISHED STRONG FOR VIEWERS

Hope that season 5 is announced soon or at least a new OVA


DxD Forever
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
njprogfan
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 590
Location: A River Named Toms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Hinamatsuri, the funniest anime I've seen since Azumanga Daioh. So many belly laughs Laughing For me, the best this Spring. Happy to see it's #1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
S0crates
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 06 Jul 2018
Posts: 167
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
So far this year:

1. Violet Evergarden
2. HINAMATSURI
3. A Place Further Than The Universe
4. After the Rain.
5. Yuru Camp
6. Megalobox
7. My Hero Academia
8. Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
9. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou
10. Fate/Extra: Last Encore

Also Wotaku has probably the most catchy OP, A PlaceFTTU is pretty good as well, Violet Evergarden & After the Rain's grew on me, but maybe those became good because I liked the shows overall, as I can't remember liking them off the bat.

As for endings, wow nothing comes to mind really. Maybe Shokugeki no Souma, A PFTTU, Ginga or Fate/Extra? Though they're just decent songs with nice illustrations more than anything special?


Last edited by S0crates on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calculus20



Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Posts: 167
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
FMP still has two more episodes to go. Depending on how the finale is received it could change the score. It's a but unfair to count the recent episode twice and factor that into the final score when that episode has been the weakest one so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4048
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
A little late to this, since I've been out of the community a bit, but did GGO get good again? I dropped it at episode 6, which seems to be the worst received episode, because the set up for that conflict was cringingly bad, but I'm curious if it actually recovered, or if everyone who disliked it at that point just bailed hard like myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate
I Pause For PantsuI Pause For Pantsu


Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Posts: 1297
Location: California
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
A little late to this, since I've been out of the community a bit, but did GGO get good again? I dropped it at episode 6, which seems to be the worst received episode, because the set up for that conflict was cringingly bad, but I'm curious if it actually recovered, or if everyone who disliked it at that point just bailed hard like myself.

It did recover from that episode (which at 4.1 is not something I consider to be particularly bad) and not everyone who disliked it bailed. The series ultimately had an ending that was quite solid and overall fitting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4048
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'll have to pick it back up(Personally, regardless of the community consensus, I thought the episode was terrible though). I pretty much jumped into Spring head first just a few weeks ago after finding a bunch of consistent free time at work, so my goal was kind of just to get through everything important as quickly as possible. After Steins;Gate 0 I might have time to go back to GGO and anything else I missed that I wasn't so interested in originally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex



Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 708
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, FranXX's drop in ranking over the season is really quite incredible. I guess the loss of faith in it was quite widely agreed upon.

The rankings are also making me wonder if I should have checked out this season's Lupin or if it's just got a dedicated Lupin fanbase voting it up. I wasn't really feeling a new Lupin installment, maybe I should give it a try...

relyat08 wrote:
A little late to this, since I've been out of the community a bit, but did GGO get good again? I dropped it at episode 6, which seems to be the worst received episode, because the set up for that conflict was cringingly bad, but I'm curious if it actually recovered, or if everyone who disliked it at that point just bailed hard like myself.


I originally bailed on GGO around Episode 6 as well, but went back recently and finished it. I think it recovered a bit, but all the poor fundamentals (e.g. lack of meaningful stakes & largely incoherent plotting) and weak dialogue/character/dramatic writing present early still persisted through to the end. It also never really figured out its comedy (but still felt the need to occasionally distract from the story with a poorly written/considered joke) or integrated its story's more absurd elements in an effective way. But the fight choreography, tactics, and framing remained pretty decent throughout. On the whole, it was watchable, but it feels misleading for it to finish as close in the rankings as it did to genuinely outstanding shows like Hinamatsuri and Megalobox.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RangerDanger



Joined: 25 May 2018
Posts: 55
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I think it recovered a bit, but all the poor fundamentals (e.g. lack of meaningful stakes & largely incoherent plotting) and weak dialogue/character/dramatic writing present early still persisted through to the end. It also never really figured out its comedy (but still felt the need to occasionally distract from the story with a poorly written/considered joke) or integrated its story's more absurd elements in an effective way. On the whole, it was watchable, but it feels misleading for it to finish as close in the rankings as it did to genuinely outstanding shows like Hinamatsuri and Megalobox.

Maybe to you, but many people had a pleasant time with it and I truly doubt that it would have finished as high as it did if people had thought it was only just watchable. Granted, the series won’t work for everyone, but it’s still a bit unfair implying that the people who enjoyed it more than you did shouldn’t have rated what they genuinely thought was fitting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeverConvex



Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 708
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
RangerDanger wrote:
Maybe to you, but many people had a pleasant time with it and I truly doubt that it would have finished as high as it did if people had thought it was only just watchable. Granted, the series won’t work for everyone, but it’s still a bit unfair implying that the people who enjoyed it more than you did shouldn’t have rated what they genuinely thought was fitting.


I don't think it's unfair at all to criticize whether the ratings of a show properly reflect its quality. Berserk (2018) wouldn't become a masterpiece just because people decided they really enjoyed it, for example (and I say that as someone who reasonably enjoyed it despite the mess it was, heh). Insisting that the quality of a work is entirely subjective only goes so far!

That's not the same thing as saying people shouldn't have rated or enjoyed a show in whatever way they did, just that I disagree with the image the final rating suggests of GGO. I don't really want to distract this thread with another argument about subjectivity and objectivity in the appreciation of anime, though, so I'll just leave it at that.


Last edited by NeverConvex on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4048
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The rankings are also making me wonder if I should have checked out this season's Lupin or if it's just got a dedicated Lupin fanbase voting it up. I wasn't really feeling a new Lupin installment, maybe I should give it a try...


I'm never sure exactly why I love Lupin as much as I do. At this point, it may be more nostalgia than anything else. If you are looking for a strong narrative, it doesn't have it, and if you're looking for good characterization, it doesn't have that either. Regardless, the characters are fun and endearing in their simplicity, the production values are generally very good, and it is just an incredibly easy show for me to watch. I really don't know how to recommend it though, because outside of the atmosphere and nostalgia, I'm not sure what is actually good about it.

Quote:
I originally bailed on GGO around Episode 6 as well, but went back recently and finished it. I think it recovered a bit, but all the poor fundamentals (e.g. lack of meaningful stakes & largely incoherent plotting) and weak dialogue/character/dramatic writing present early still persisted through to the end. It also never really figured out its comedy (but still felt the need to occasionally distract from the story with a poorly written/considered joke) or integrated its story's more absurd elements in an effective way. But the fight choreography, tactics, and framing remained pretty decent throughout. On the whole, it was watchable, but it feels misleading for it to finish as close in the rankings as it did to genuinely outstanding shows like Hinamatsuri and Megalobox.


Thanks a lot for your opinion. I will maybe sit on it for a bit, but it could be worth picking back up. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh



Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 926
Location: Millmont, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Conveniently, the top three are still the three best of the season, though in a jumbled order. Magical Girl Ore and Gegege are still supremely underrated, sad.

NeverConvex wrote:
The rankings are also making me wonder if I should have checked out this season's Lupin or if it's just got a dedicated Lupin fanbase voting it up. I wasn't really feeling a new Lupin installment, maybe I should give it a try...


Nope, the “Lupin fanbase” hardly exists in the west large enough for that to even happen. It’s just that good. Better, IMO, but again, not as many people would know because they haven’t seen it unfortunately. Hell, the anime youtubers couldnt even be bothered to mention it in their seasonal roundup vids, despite it being an iconic, classic, influential franchise in the medium. But the west doesn’t really respect that. But yeah, go watch it. I can’t imagine you won’t have a blast. Everyone I’ve shown it to has loved it.

relyat08 wrote:
I'm never sure exactly why I love Lupin as much as I do. At this point, it may be more nostalgia than anything else. If you are looking for a strong narrative, it doesn't have it, and if you're looking for good characterization, it doesn't have that either. Regardless, the characters are fun and endearing in their simplicity, the production values are generally very good, and it is just an incredibly easy show for me to watch. I really don't know how to recommend it though, because outside of the atmosphere and nostalgia, I'm not sure what is actually good about it.


Wow, you’re completely wrong on both accounts. This season has had excellent writing, and good characterization is literally one of the biggest appeals of the series. Yes, the characters are simple. There’s nothing wrong or inherently bad about that. Good characterization doesn’t equate to complexity. In fact, it’s refreshing in a climate full of overly-convoluted character writing. And that’s not my nostalgia talking. I literally just got into the series last year.

“I don’t know how to recommend it...I’m not sure what is actually good about it.”

This is painfully easy. Beyond what you already said that was decent enough a recommendation, It’s: classic Bond-esque fast-paced action with a good sense of humor and cartooniness thrown in, heist adventures with “classic cool” flair, and characters and interactions that are eminently likable. Done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group