• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chio's School Road (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote

Chio's School Road (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: ecchi, school life

Plot Summary: High school student Chio Miyamo has adventures commuting to school every day. Chio runs in to problems both big and small, such as construction, a biker gang, a sudden urge to use the bathroom, and more. (from manga)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

That first segment is a perfect capture of what it is like after you play too much games. Beyond a doubt I could actually empathise after playing too much Assassins Creed, the series specifically which Chio was certainly playing, that I started to seriously consider actually trying the series parkour to get somewhere, and or considering how you could do that in the environment. It totally had me laughing though at the absurdity, carried on to other aspects like the ridiculously mean rich guy, and starting some sort of reputation as a hero. And it set Chio up as a very funny and dorky character, for some reason I can think of more male geek characters or could get involved in this sort of silly stuff, but the feminine parts are an element of her character.

And how is slamming yourself into garbage for an excuse to look behind you, not a failure, instead of just turning your head around? Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

The comedy in this show is hilarious, and Chio in general is great, I can't think of many main female characters this relatable and funny. Starting with Chio managing to pass one heck of a deception/intimidation check to fool a biker into believing she is an assassin, and the introduction to her equally dorky friend with the two of them being terrible together. The teacher's reaction to them coming both times was also very funny, with Chio pretending to be an exchange student, and the man running with them.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I noticed this anime references to games a lot. Kinda amusing that the first episode had subtle reference for Assassin's Creed and the second episode had more over the top comedy with Chio's cheeky humor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
Ep 2

Ok first episode was decent but the second one had me cracking up. The timing on some of the humor was pretty good and the follow ups were top notch. Only question is if they can keep this up. I certainly hope so!
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the biker part at all, but the rest was really good awkward humor. More of that please!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Well Chio told the biker (Andou), and how he handled it was pretty funny in taking it in good stride and still freaking out the rest of the gang.

Interesting that on Chio's shelf was Borderlands and Bioshock, added to the first episode of Assassins Creed, she does seem to like Western games. She had a Claptrap, psycho figure and mask. Interested in what the game she liked that was getting her in cqc, That she kept apparently watching a cutscene for the moves does feel extra cringe, but also sadly relatable.

Their senpai is a total pervert. They probably should be more careful of her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

All for 100 yen, although I think even more it was a matter of rubbing it into Manana's face. My favourite bit has to be how the teacher could not see Chio as smoking, and everyone laughed from her trying to say she can be bad. A reverse of the worry that the pictures on Manana's phone could get out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I love little video game references that actually have substance to something. That is where Chio's plan to get out of the bathroom by strangling the guy and taking his clothes was not a reference to just any assassin game, but specifically Hitman, another western game, which seems to continue to be Chio's favourites. Plus the urinal balls.

The second segment (Mannacchio), was hilarious, especially in the utterly bizarre music bit, in just thinking these two came up with it. I thought that it was just going to be something like the fusion dance, but that really was something. Granted, got to say something about the morals girl who called them out on bad influences, and yet asked for advice with getting a bad influence that the teacher would only get in trouble if she pursues him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

So Kabaddi senpai, Yuki, gets lost in a city park, and trains with a homeless man to get better at Kabaddi, and he really seems to have no knowledge of the game/sport and the main thing he seems able to offer is as a history of a groper. The second part is what happens when you don't think and decide to do something you think is cool, but is really reckless. Climbing along the ledge of a bridge to surprise someone. One thing is for sure, is that the 'friendship' of Chio and Manna was again centre place. Thing like kicking your friend towards a big pervert, and pulling out your phone camera when your friend is in need.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Oh, a fictional gag reel, you don't see that too often. Generally it was not a bombastic finale, actually felt more like a late real explanation of Yuki's streaking in the opening. The shift of interaction between Chio and Chiharu was not bad either. Would be interested in the hint Chio's likely very cringey game walkthroughs.

I would say this was one of my favourite shows of this season, and that does fall a bit on that this season felt kind of bare, that the humour of Chio's School Road stood out as quite good. In addition to Asobi Asobase, also this season, that also managed to be quite high for me, coincidentally they both happened to have school girls being horrible to each other in backstabbing each other, but otherwise being pals. I would call it some of the best parts of this show, when Chio and Manana would suddenly backstab each other, and or do something stupid that felt so true for being a teenager.

The other part being games, that Chio's interest in felt very true to actual things, not making up stuff that is generic but feels out of touch. Chio especially seemed to have an interest in western games, especially rare for portrayal in anime. Chio also was an interesting combination of totally average, but plenty of extra character to her, not glorified, but relatable.

I enjoyed it, and the preview at the end of the series makes me happy for the idea of seeing more, but also a thought that rarely does something that gives a preview like that, deliver on animating it. So I am already tempering my expectations, kind of sad, but I certainly enjoyed my time with it. I give a rating of Very good (8/10), perhaps being pretty generous with it, that it my taste sort of thing, but fiting to tastes I think can be what makes this series a very good choice for some.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1