• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Phantom in the Twilight (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote

Phantom in the Twilight (TV)

Genres: supernatural

Plot Summary: In London is "Café Forbidden," a mysterious café that only opens at night. Bayrou is a girl who is in London to study abroad. She meets the handsome men who work this place where the guardians of the boundary between the human and shadow world gather.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

At the very start, with hot boys running restaurant, my brain was already turning off that this would just be pointless fanservice for the female audience that I have actually been finding more uninterest in. But then it surprised me, with not one but two heroines who are main characters, and will have a part going forward, although it has me hoping that Ton's friend is not killed. She is Chinese, which apparently this is a coproduction of, but she and the animation seem passing. She also seem to already have secret magic powers, at least to some extent, which already makes her cool, and she too the initiative to try and get her luggage back.

And although the boys seem to include a vampire and a werewolf, something I might automatically give a negative mark for in some recent reverse harems in how it encourages a system of the boys preying on the heroine, that does not quite seem to be the case. Ton has a surprising amount of agency in the first episode, where she takes an active part, and the dudes sort of encouraged her to use her to fight a bit, even if they removed her memories. But this is really comes across better than the 100 Princes thing. I am going to guess the third boy is a Jiangshi.

But while in general the show does not seem super amazing for an anime, with ridiculous things, compared to some of the complaints I make of the reverse harem anime, like last season's Libra of Nil Admirari, there is a lot for me to actually like here. The heroine tends to be the most important thing for me, and so far Ton is cool. I hope it goes up from here and not fall on its face.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, after seeing the first episode, I have high hopes for this. Ton has personality! So does her best friend! I also like the character designs for the guys. And it looks like this is going to have an interesting story.

Anyway, I'm guessing Rajin was a witch and Ton inherited her abilities. I'm also assuming that the reason Rajin left China to go to London was to protect her family and fight in some sort of underground supernatural war. At least I got that impression from clips in the OP and when that (I'm assuming) Big Bad sees Rajin's ring.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I really like how active Ton is, actively refusing to be of no use. That the boys wanted to keep her out of danger from being out of her depth, but she being restless for her missing friend, not even a shame that she walked into a trap. Actually interesting that her going back to the restaurant was not treated like some crazy thing, where indeed she did not have her memories back, but sort of instinctively knew were to go, like she has some good intuition or something.

Extra points for some vampire lore limiting the team vampire from needing to be invited in, and if the mini preview lite section of the episode is believed, the other vampire weaknesses are being kept in mind. Points lost for making him Count Dracula, which feels like a bit much.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
I thought it was kind of interesting when Vlad explained the origins of monsters being created in the minds of people and then taking shape. Might be easier to except count dracula taking that into account. His limitations are easier to deal with keeping that in mind As opposed to people assigning characteristics to monsters and being totally off which in my opinion gives them more depth. Either way I liked the first 2 episodes Ton is high energy and also reckless the guys will be busy.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I tried posting this earlier, but the site screwed up...

Episode 2

This show continues to look promising. Loved how Ton didn't care that Vlad was shirtless since she was more concerned about Shinyao. Also liking the little touches the show adds such as that one scene in the beginning when Vlad was about to do a big reveal but then Ton's phone rings. His expression plus the grabby hands made me chuckle.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Points lost for making him Count Dracula, which feels like a bit much

I'd need to watch it again, but I thought the chibi short at the end added that he was a descendant of Dracula.

Wasn't expecting a supernatural themed otome to start talking about advanced AI. However, considering what Wayne can do with tech I wonder if the Mirror Mirror app is powered by ghosts in some way. Of course, this raises the question of whether or not Wayne would be able to detect them.

Heishin continues to be mysterious. His plan seems to be awakening Ton's true potential but for what purpose I'm not sure. The anime's official site mentions in his profile that he's 'fighting against extinction'. Though this is from Google translate so take that with a grain of salt. Chris mentioned how Heishin's organization helps people so I'm wondering if he's linked to Mirror Mirror?
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Points lost for making him Count Dracula, which feels like a bit much

I'd need to watch it again, but I thought the chibi short at the end added that he was a descendant of Dracula.

He definitely said he's a descendant and not the actual Count himself!

I am loving this series so far. The guys are great. Ton is awesome. I'm excited to see more, especially of Shinyao and her new werewolf bodyguard. The last bit of episode 2 makes their snippets in the opening make more sense. I can't wait to see how their relationship develops.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Wow, Ton stands up against Luke's words of possibly just being flirt, and he says that he has no interest in taking advantage of a girl who is emotionally in a hard spot, and intends to only do such when she is feeling better. That is actually pretty cool after so many of these shows have the guys kind of be emotionally opportunistic, and right here saying that is not cool. And on top of Ton keeping her agency and wanting to be personally involved in rescuing her friend, while be treated with respect. I was even okay with her deciding something like baking cookies, it is kind of funny that baking was how she realised Luke was gone, and she apparently totally failed at baking.

The show has not been breathtaking, but it really has been so much better than some of its other genre. Especially good for contrasting with 100 Sleeping Princes, where I found myself complaining about no real personality yet for the heroine and that she did nothing in the episode's fight. Ton was right in the conflict this week, trying to do whatever she can, and she has character.

Shinyao's situation is not great, but at least she also question things like her captor's concern in her eating after her life was at risk earlier. He seems to have shown enough personality, that I would be interested to see where that is going. Hopefully they don't just keep having near situations of where they can save her, only for her to be taken. Would have hoped that Luke perhaps could follow him, but also the thought that Vlad may not be able to because he was crossing a river, which is a weakness of vampires.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

DuskyPredator wrote:
Wow, Ton stands up against Luke's words of possibly just being flirt, and he says that he has no interest in taking advantage of a girl who is emotionally in a hard spot, and intends to only do such when she is feeling better. That is actually pretty cool after so many of these shows have the guys kind of be emotionally opportunistic, and right here saying that is not cool.

That was my thought as well! Most otome heroines are either awkward or oblivious when one of the guys start hitting on her so Ton actually being upfront about it is a nice change of pace.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Heishin is. I still think he's behind the Mirror Mirror app. Also looks like he's going after Tauryu next episode. I'm wondering if he was somehow involved in his creation.

Nice to see more info about Rajin. I'm guessing being an action girl runs in the family. Wasn't expecting Ton to conjure a shield. Can we make a clone of her and put her in 100 Sleeping Princes? It doesn't have to be Ton.

I'm guessing that Shinyao is going to be Princess Peach in this?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Apparently the London police are worse than expected, because they have a big fight with machine guns and rocket launchers, with plenty of time to avoid the police.

I got a laugh out of Toryu picking on Ton's appearance as not lady like. I would think that could normally be a bit risky in trying to force the heroine to be more feminine, but I think it worked from it being on a level of them comparing her to her great grandmother, who she does not actually have to be exactly alike. And was used with Ton caring more about helping Toryu's hand rather than fix the things he just complained about. Plus making Toryu an interesting character, after I don't think he had really stood out before. Also the end chibi bit also made me laugh, usually those sort of things are not very interesting or kind of lame, but I found it really funny when he explains away his ability to carry and conceal huge guns as magic, with a threatening demeanour to stop thinking about it.

Action scene was also pretty cool, maybe just the disappearing into a flock of bats to avoid gunfire hits a certain spot. But also how cool was it when Ton put herself into the action to help save the day with Toryu? Becoming a broken record here, but along with Aoi in Bed & Breakfast for Spirits, these are the type of heroines I like, that can stand up, And I would say show femininity can be a useful tool, heart was the answer here and it did not feel too cheesy. And Ton doing the face, got to love a heroine who can act like that.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I like how Ton is actively learning about her powers on her own instead of waiting for someone to tell her.

I find it hilarious how the mass murdering zombie is the one most concerned about appearance. And Ton's response of "Well screw you, Shinyao thinks I'm pretty!"

So we learned that Heishin is the one who created Tauryu and and I guess that he's a wizard? The show's still leaving us hanging on what exactly he wants Ton for. While her using her powers is necessary, Vlad said it's not a good idea for Ton to use her power too much. I'm wondering if using too much power factored into what happened to Rajin? Vlad said in episode 1 that he couldn't protect her.

It goes to show how much of an impact Rajin had on the Twilights when Ton rushing at Tauryu reminded him of Rajin. That bit of him crying was a nice touch to add to his character.

And wasn't expecting a kabe don with a (unintentionally) sorta suggestive vibe from Tauryu. My reaction was "OMG this is really happening right now!" Then it just turns out to be about the ribbon.

So next episode we have Ton starting her role as manager and helping Umbra. I wonder if this will lead to more world building? I hope so.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

You'd think Rajin would have some sort of Umbra encyclopedia in her study. The scene with Ton and Vlad about complements were amusing.

And I really like the fact that Chris and Shinyao are getting their own story line. I guess Ton really trusts Chris since Luke trusts him. I would've thought that Ton would've at least made some sort of mention of Shinyao even if it was something like "I wonder how she's doing?"

The romance between Roland and Lydia was a nice segue to the looming threat of Van Helsing. Wonder if he's actually the Big Bad instead of Heishin? Seems like Heishin is trying to wake Ton's powers for the upcoming fight against Van Helsing.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
This thread needs some serious reviving...

Ep. 10

I loved how they handled the conflict between Ton and her 'harem'. The guys' explanations for why they didn't want her to fight (mostly) seemed reasonable enough and weren't just the usual 'but we want to protect you~' stereotype. And when she insisted, instead of getting too creepy/pushy, they actually respected her wishes (Gasp! What's reverse harem coming to?!) Truth be told, for a second there i suspected them to have put something in her tea because considering how strong she's now, that would have been about the only way to keep her from joining them...i'm sorry, i doubted you, show! Crying or Very sad

But i felt bad seeing Shinyao being manipulated like that, so i hope Ton will be able to wake her up and they'll be kicking the bad guys's asses together. I'm also in for more evil!Wayne! Twisted Evil
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
"Counseling and brainwashing are two sides of the same coin." Oh, gee thanks, that's a message people really need to hear. Rolling Eyes Like people aren't already afraid of getting therapy as it is.

So it looks like Chris must still be alive unless Luke was lying about losing his trail at the riverbank. Otherwise he'd have found a body. Presumably he'll throw some wrenches in Backup's brainwashing.

I expect the runaway Van Helsing will also join the fray. And I'm looking forward to Evil Wayne too. Is this the first time we've seen Vlad smile?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote
The show is mostly pretty good, but I do want to see that smarmy hacker character have his faced punched in, I just really hate that archetype. Maybe a little irrational on my part. Distinctively different Wayne, which I would also normally dislike, but he comes across indearing, added that even the secret evil side can also make the character also annoying to me, but works as him being the strongest member of the team. Works that it does not feel like his childish side is a crutch for what he is. Especially noteworthy is I think when he is in the system and we see his lifeless mannequin body nearby.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2