Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon USA Confirms Plans to Release Sound! Euphonium 2


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4126
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Apparently season 2 is being released in 2 parts in regular size boxes. PCUSA is the worst anime distributor ever, but I am caving in and getting both season of Sound! Euphonium from them because I really like the show.

Hopefully PCUSA improves as a company and is no longer a joke and a headache for fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Neromon



Joined: 11 Jul 2018
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
About goddamn time.

Let's hope it's not as pricey as the S1 release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpacemanHardy



Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 2399
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Why can't PonyCan US just shrivel up and die like the parasite they are? Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1144
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Neromon wrote:
About goddamn time.

Let's hope it's not as pricey as the S1 release.


Oh, it definitely will be. Pony Canyon's US branch should've tried releasing music or something before getting into the anime market, as evident by the negative backlash we see every time they do anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3597
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, Pony Canyon is one of the producers of the show and like Aniplex, anything they produce in Japan they want to extract a premium overseas for collectors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4126
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Neromon wrote:
Let's hope it's not as pricey as the S1 release.

If it is only 2 sets at $75, it would be about $65 less expensive.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Why can't PonyCan US just shrivel up and die like the parasite they are? Mad

Parasite? More like a nuisance actually.


Last edited by angelmcazares on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Lemonchest
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 1740
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
people apparently keep buying what they sell; so why would they change?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7793
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Why can't PonyCan US just shrivel up and die like the parasite they are? Mad

Because they are a subsidiary of the company that put in the bulk amount of funding to actually get the show made.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WingKing



Joined: 27 Apr 2015
Posts: 548
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
people apparently keep buying what they sell; so why would they change?


Hard to tell how well they're actually doing. They're obviously still in business, but OTOH they've only released one new show on video in the last two years (Kuromukuro, last July), and RightStuf actually got permission to put some of their older titles like Denki Gai and Rokka on sale right now. I guess we'll see from the new Eupho release if they've actually learned anything in the past two years.

Also notable: someone on Twitter asked PCUSA (paraphrasing), When will we get Yuki Yuna S2 and will it have a dub again? Response was, "Unfortunately, we don't currently have any plans for a season 2 of Yuki Yuna is a Hero or its dubbing."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4126
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
people apparently keep buying what they sell; so why would they change?


Hard to tell how well they're actually doing.

Volume 1 of Euphonium S1 has sold out at Right Stuf.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Punch Drunk Marc



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 941
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
WingKing wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
people apparently keep buying what they sell; so why would they change?


Hard to tell how well they're actually doing.

Volume 1 of Euphonium S1 has sold out at Right Stuf.


How many did they make of volume 1 though? If it wasn't a large amount to begin with it's not really that impressive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 4180
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
WingKing wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
people apparently keep buying what they sell; so why would they change?


Hard to tell how well they're actually doing.

Volume 1 of Euphonium S1 has sold out at Right Stuf.
That tells us nothing if they only had a small stock. Aniplex of America generally has low volume of their overpriced shows but they sell out and that's good enough for them.

Both companies, Aniplex and PonyCanyon are just greedy. They could easily make just as much more, if not more, with lower prices selling to MORE people. But they CHOOSE the greedier option of selling to less people for higher profit sooner. Just greedy. If either company really respected anime, they should want it to be seen by as many people as possible. They'll never learn, either, since they're still making "enough" money. PonyCanyon specificaly has had a few troubled releases, along with being extremely slow.

I can't defend them in any way. At this point it's faster to learn Japanese, and the price of importing probably wouldn't be much different. You're still supporting them of course, but at least it's not their stupid American branch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 1667
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Also notable: someone on Twitter asked PCUSA (paraphrasing), When will we get Yuki Yuna S2 and will it have a dub again? Response was, "Unfortunately, we don't currently have any plans for a season 2 of Yuki Yuna is a Hero or its dubbing."

Wait, isn't that their most popular title? Why would they not have any plans?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueRex666



Joined: 13 Mar 2016
Posts: 140
Location: El Paso, TX
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Because they are a subsidiary of the company that put in the bulk amount of funding to actually get the show made.


Can't the just stay in Japan and license the shows to Western distributors like they use to? That way we don't have to deal with import prices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
BlueRex666



Joined: 13 Mar 2016
Posts: 140
Location: El Paso, TX
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
That tells us nothing if they only had a small stock. Aniplex of America generally has low volume of their overpriced shows but they sell out and that's good enough for them.

Both companies, Aniplex and PonyCanyon are just greedy. They could easily make just as much more, if not more, with lower prices selling to MORE people. But they CHOOSE the greedier option of selling to less people for higher profit sooner. Just greedy. If either company really respected anime, they should want it to be seen by as many people as possible. They'll never learn, either, since they're still making "enough" money. PonyCanyon specificaly has had a few troubled releases, along with being extremely slow.

I can't defend them in any way. At this point it's faster to learn Japanese, and the price of importing probably wouldn't be much different. You're still supporting them of course, but at least it's not their stupid American branch.
I have never like the model. Unfortunately I can't say it is not a successful model (otherwise they would of stopped using it by now), but I just hate it. I could not care less about there extras. Sure it cool to get soundtracks, postcards, wall scrolls, booklets, production materials; but to me I just want to watch the show and would gladly pay for a basic cheap package.

These set seem to be strictly for hardcore collector, something I'm just not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group