• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ribon Magazine Editor-in-Chief Praises Aoi Makino's New Sayonara Mini Skirt Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quite the premise. Think it might have been inspired by something? Wink
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this does seem really interesting. If it stays interesting, I hope Shojo Beat brings it over at some point. Also, you can read part of the first chapter on the Ribon website here.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
This video has better animation than half of the anime on Crunchyroll:

https://youtu.be/qTLP6mxBF4E

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
That is a serious issue and it will be interesting to see how a shoujo manga will cover it. The idol groups that are marketed towards adults do sometimes get obsessed fans and that does occasionally result in violent incidents. There is a lot of potential in a manga that covers the life of a former idol that left the idol industry because she was attacked and how that would change her view of the world.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
This video has better animation than half of the anime on Crunchyroll:

https://youtu.be/qTLP6mxBF4E

Laughing

Whoa, you're right about that. Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow but that sounds DARK for a Ribon manga!! You've caught my attention. xD

I think I've read titles by this author during my Ribon-collecting days...but I'm not sure.

Ribon is a great magazine.....but it just gets too big and expensive to collect if you don't live in Japan. It's a phonebook. I have no room for the ones I refuse to throw away. xD I collected them during Full Moon Wo Sagashite's run in 2003 to 2004! Waiting each month for a new chapter was agonizing but so exciting. I read the FMWS chapter first and then read all the other stories after it in every issue. So I reads TONS of shoujo manga in partial, full, and one-shots. Kodomo No Omocha, Marmalade Boy, and Aishiteruze Baby all ran in this magazine.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Same, Chiibi. I love Ribon. More than Margaret and maybe even Betsuma, sometimes. I remember reading Sekai no Hate and I liked it more than I thought. Glad to see Makino Aoi is back.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Ribon is a great magazine.....but it just gets too big and expensive to collect if you don't live in Japan. It's a phonebook. I have no room for the ones I refuse to throw away. xD I collected them during Full Moon Wo Sagashite's run in 2003 to 2004! Waiting each month for a new chapter was agonizing but so exciting. I read the FMWS chapter first and then read all the other stories after it in every issue. So I reads TONS of shoujo manga in partial, full, and one-shots. Kodomo No Omocha, Marmalade Boy, and Aishiteruze Baby all ran in this magazine.

I've found several manga magazines are available to buy digitally these days, from multiple online sellers (I think bookwalker is a pretty comprehensive one). I don't like to buy ebooks generally, but for these "phonebook" magazines that are meant to be somewhat disposable, it makes a lot of sense if I follow a series and can't wait for the collected volumes, or want to try out oneshots and new authors. (it also costs like a third of the price, without shipping costs.) Now I only order the physical magazine if there's a furoku item I really want...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
@phoenixalia: Yay more Ribon fans. Smile Sekai no Hate....is that the one with the heroine stuck with an abusive guy but she meets a nice boy who has a fascination with trains? I thought it was really interesting! I want to finish it some time.

It makes all the sense in the world that Makino is writing this new manga; she's not at all afraid to make things...........intense in her stories. xD And she is fantastic at making antagonists legitimately scary (Kasuga's one of the scariest "boyfriends" I've come across in manga!)

I like Nakayoshi magazine too. (lots of magical girls in that one)

@lys: Oh good to know! I'll have to check that out; thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1