• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Brother's Husband GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This volume was a really great ending, for all the reasons you said.

As an aside, at Tagame-sensei's (and Chip Kidd's) San Francisco Kinokuniya signing recently, Kidd mentioned that Pantheon will be publishing Tagame-sensei's latest all-ages work, Our Color. He didn't mention any sort of timeframe for release, and apparently it only started serialization in March, so it will probably be awhile before its publication in English. Still, given how much I enjoyed My Brother's Husband, I'll be looking forward to it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
While this type of literature isn't my cup of tea, despite that I do check in once in awhile. I do have a soft spot for the "bara" genre. I'm highly impressed by Gengoroh Tagame's versatility in his art. In some pieces he can be pretty hard and in your face out erotic elements of homosexuality. But in other parts of his work, there is softer and subtler side that brings out there being more to one's sexual orientation than it just being about hot, dripping and sometimes cringe worthy sexual escapades. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I do find it a tad intense. I also say this, knowing the nature of "bara" artists, and other artist from various communities of the same, I have a co-worker who is a homosexual man. And while he has come to discover Tagame's work and enjoy the composition of it, he told me that some of his more extreme erotica kinda of made him uncomfortable. But to each his own. I will say this the one thing I do like about "bara" artist is highly close attention to male anatomy and style.

We're finally getting in some of this type of material every since they published the first two books on his work as well as others. Eventually, I'll give these two books a read. After all, I've read enough Ebine Yamaji and Akiko Morishima (another fave).

A couple of years ago we did have a chance to have him, Tagame-san, as a spotlight guest, to give a talk at the college (where I work) while he was visiting NYC for a few days promoting more of his work. I kinda missed out on that occasion. And NO photographs. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1