• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kōya no Kotobuki Hikōtai Anime Reveals New Video, Characters, Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Visually this look horrible not sure why they keep making anime like this....
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:

Only the males are visually horrible here but everything else is okay. Buy yeah, this anime should have been better off as 2D instead of CG. CG has been gaining prominence in recent years but I want to stick with 2D animation for now.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:

It's the same people who did Berserk. They still haven't learn how to do good CG is. The colors are bland and lifeless compared to bits of 2D in the pv
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my most anticipated anime, a concept I've been wanting for years with the perfect director. It bothers me every time I see someone effectively say, "This should only exist if it's the kind of animation *I* can enjoy."

Random Name wrote:
(...)not sure why they keep making anime like this....

Because it's much easier/faster and therefore much cheaper than 2D. "But it'll also sell less!" Maybe. If so, the problem will eventually correct itself. Production committees are risk-averse (original anime like this being greenlit at all is fairly rare), and if 3DCG should clearly prove to be a bigger risk than 2D, they'll stop investing in it. Don't be optimistic.

Some say this show benefits more from being 3DCG because the setting is fighter planes, but I'm not sold on that. For a price, you could have the girls only be CG when seen from outside the cockpit, and 2D inside and on the ground.

forexjammer wrote:

The colors are bland and lifeless compared to bits of 2D in the pv

If you're going to criticize, go for the robotic movement, or the way the gray girl's hair looks like pillows, that sort of thing. Criticizing the colors makes no sense at all; colors are very easy to get to the desired hue/saturation/lightness. You just make the textures with the colors you want, then light the scene so as not to detract from them. With cel shading it's even easier. If the colors are desaturated, it's an intentional decision, and you can criticize that as a creative choice, not as a result of a lack of competence.

Color in 2D animation is also added digitally.

What "bits of 2D in the pv" were there? I didn't notice anything that looked 2D.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:

forexjammer wrote:

The colors are bland and lifeless compared to bits of 2D in the pv

If you're going to criticize, go for the robotic movement, or the way the gray girl's hair looks like pillows, that sort of thing. Criticizing the colors makes no sense at all; colors are very easy to get to the desired hue/saturation/lightness. You just make the textures with the colors you want, then light the scene so as not to detract from them. With cel shading it's even easier. If the colors are desaturated, it's an intentional decision, and you can criticize that as a creative choice, not as a result of a lack of competence.

Color in 2D animation is also added digitally.

What "bits of 2D in the pv" were there? I didn't notice anything that looked 2D.

2D parts
01:00 - 01:02
and then right after that you got that hideous CG lol
01:05 - 01:06
It's not intentional decision, they don't know how to do it right yet. You could clearly see the difference in the shading. Houseki no Kuni is perfect example on how to color CG right
Don't get me wrong. I love GuP, Upotte, and other shows. I'm glad they aren't adapting Shidenkai no Maki (literally GuP but fighters)
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote
Okay, I thought you were saying it was the colors themselves that were your problem, not the lack of gradient lighting.

I still refuse to watch Land of the Lustrous. From this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCUoooS8S0 it looks like people generally have solid-white faces and jelly hair. Others I've seen were Ajin (bad) and Kado (good), Kotobuki looks somewhere in between to me.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
It bothers me every time I see someone effectively say, "This should only exist if it's the kind of animation *I* can enjoy."
This seems directed at my comment but not really sure how one could come to that conclusion. Just because I don't like the way something is done and question the validity of doing it that way it does not mean I believe it shouldn't exist.
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Wishing this show didn't exist (waste of Mizushima's time etc.) has been the prevalent attitude I've seen among critics so far. I read your comment as "I don't know why they'd even make this" which sounds like that to me.
HK16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't really interested in this, but the addition of ZAQ has got me wanting to watch it now. Good job getting another viewer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1