• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Guys In Anime Raise A Pinky Finger When Talking About Girls?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
Glad you mentioned the Sound Euphonium ED as an example of this. This season’s Bloom Into You is doing the same thing in its ED.
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Not completely unrelated, but... in the UK (and some other countries I'd imagine) when a woman is talking about a guy and she has her pinky up it usually has the rather unromantic connotations of a guy having... a wee one...

I think I'd rather stick to Japan's version
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
The whole idea of the red string of fate seems charmingly romantic the first few times, but I think I've seen it mentioned or used a bit too often lately. The charm has kind of worn off at this point.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Crabtree1 wrote:
Not completely unrelated, but... in the UK (and some other countries I'd imagine) when a woman is talking about a guy and she has her pinky up it usually has the rather unromantic connotations of a guy having... a wee one...

Here in France, it is an old habit used by the nobility while drinking which is still considered as a good behavior, my grandmother was always telling us, my cousins, siblings and me to never touch the cup with the pinky, doing so was frowned upon.

However, depending of the region, having the pinky up when you aren't drinking has the same meaning that it has in Japan, it's usually considered as vulgar.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I honestly never noticed the gesture! I've heard of the "Red String of Fate" before, but not the "Pinky Swear" connection. It's really cute.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I honestly never noticed the gesture! I've heard of the "Red String of Fate" before, but not the "Pinky Swear" connection. It's really cute.

Same here! I knew about "pinky swearing", the red string of fate, and the little finger gesture being discussed here, but I had no idea that there was any relationship between any of them, nevermind the fact that they are all related.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
So, when talking about the girl, the guy will be fingering her so to speak.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Crabtree1 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqWO7fzwSLM Australia too
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Japanese word for "pinky-promise" (yubikiri/指切り) literally means "finger cut-off" -- the exact connection is a little unclear, but it's thought to originate from the idea of your pinky being your important connection to the most important people in your life.

I always assumed that had yakuza origins. You break faith with your gang and you have to cut off your pinky to atone. But maybe that goes back to the red sting too.

In the US, a raised pinky, especially if you waggle your hand a little, is a derogatory insinuation that someone is gay. I think that evolved from the pinky-out manners of British tea drinking, which, like having any manners at all, to some people is seen as effeminate. See Austin Powers' Dr. Evil.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Here in France, it is an old habit used by the nobility while drinking which is still considered as a good behavior, my grandmother was always telling us, my cousins, siblings and me to never touch the cup with the pinky, doing so was frowned upon.

However, depending of the region, having the pinky up when you aren't drinking has the same meaning that it has in Japan, it's usually considered as vulgar.

In Brazil raising the pinky means while drinking is interpreted as proof of homosexuality. Laughing Its probably influence from European countries since Brazilians who have the means to go to these countries are cultured and hence "effeminate". We have a rather crude and homophobic culture indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Reading all these thing that the pinky up gesture means really changes my perception of that one Spongebob episode.
earthisthering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:28 am Reply with quote
Huh. In my experience the pinky doesn't represent "love and sex in general" -- it refers exclusively to women, and the equivalent signal for "husband/boyfriend" is in fact the thumb.

According to most Japanese sources, the pinky came to represent a female lover due to the practitioners of literal yubikiri, i.e. Edo period prostitutes (which brings us right back to crass, I suppose). As you say, that in turn probably has its origins in the idea of the pinky as representing important connections. The thumb is a bit more opaque; it could be that the general "male head of household" connotations from 親指 eventually mutated into "important man in one's life", but that's a mere guess by a layperson.

Incidentally, in the modern day, the pinky and thumb are the respective words for "woman" and "man" in Japanese Sign Language. I thought that was kind of cool.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
So, that's why Yakuza expect their made men to cut off their little finger as an initiation. It both symbolically and literally represents severing your ties to those dear to you and dedicating your life to the Yakuza clan.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
So, that's why Yakuza expect their made men to cut off their little finger as an initiation. It both symbolically and literally represents severing your ties to those dear to you and dedicating your life to the Yakuza clan.

I'm quite sure the Yakuza finger cutting is a different thing entirely:

When you hold a sword in the Japanese martial arts, most of the grip is done with the smaller fingers (pinky and ring finger) while the index finger is held more loosely. Thus if you cut off part of your pinky or ring finger it becomes much more difficult to properly grasp a sword. That has the effect, both symbolic and practical, of making someone more dependent on their Yakuza clan for protection than they otherwise would with intact fingers.

Cutting off one's finger was not a method of being initiated into the Yakuza. Rather it was an atonement for screwing up in some way. Each time you screwed up you cut off another joint, thereby becoming more and more dependent on the clan for protection since you were less able to fight with a sword.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
This particular conception of fate also explains why the idea Stand users are drawn to each other was treated as logical in JoJo's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2