• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gamers! BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Honestly, when this series premiered and I read some opinions, I thought this would finally, finally be a tv show about gaming, made for gamers, by gamers, because this type of shows is so uncommon in TV, Western, Japanese or elsewhere. But as I saw some reviews and videos talking about what this show it´s actually about, I said "Nope, you´re not gonna make me waste my time with this". I hope Hi-Score Girl is the type of series I´m actually searching for, as this one sounds like it lives by using tried and tired rom-com tropes, another symptom of anime getting way too otaku instead of good.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
Gamers was a good series overall. The ending was a little off, but this is the case with most 1 cour series.

I'd personally like to see more of it, but unlikely unfortunately.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Strong first half but really weak second half that felt more like a long filler arc than anything, you could probably skip episode 7-10 (and the last one, which is more of an epilogue) and not really feel like you're missing anything. It just really leaned in heavily on the usual rom com misunderstanding to the point where it's practically a parody, except it isn't (stuff like character point blank telling other something just for them to misunderstand it).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Honestly, when this series premiered and I read some opinions, I thought this would finally, finally be a tv show about gaming, made for gamers, by gamers, because this type of shows is so uncommon in TV, Western, Japanese or elsewhere.

Unfortunately, too many people had this preconception going in, and then spent all 12 episodes in the comments (at CR) complaining about it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I really loved this anime. The characters were far better than most of it's genre. I also liked the main didn't end up changing his mindset just because of a girl. He stayed true to himself the entire show, and was better for it. Aguri though....FAR deeper character than I expected. Absolutely love her.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I adore this anime! My opinions run parallel to the reviewer here; Gamers! works as almost a parody of the usual anime rom-com, showing you the usual tropes and then completely flipping them to the point of absurdity. Episode 6 in particular is one of my favorite episodes i've ever seen; the whole main cast has wound themselves to tightly in their web of misunderstandings that the whole thing comes to an explosive conclusion.

As far as the gaming content; even if the focus of the anime isn't on 'games' per se, there's a genuine feel that this was made by real gamers. The video games shown in the OP, arcade, and throughout the show are spot on references to real games, and even the attitudes the characters share feel relatable to me. Like Amano, i've struggled in competitive MOBA games because i prefer to play "fun" characters, instead of the "OP" ones.
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I adore Gamers!. The reason is because it has one of what I consider the most powerful moments in Anime. And it's special because it's not a death. It's also special because it was the last place I expected to find one. There's a moment when a girl figures out she's in love with someone. And it's like, everything had been building up to that and it was just done so well. The music, the art, the mood, it was perfection even if the trip there was needlessly chaotic on purpose.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Honestly for me the web of misunderstandings got too ridiculous to the point of immersion breaking for me. If any of the characters actually sat down and talked things out, it would have solved so many issues. But instead everyone kept playing the game of jumping to conclusions and then acted accordingly, and you know what they say about when you assume things, it makes and ass out of you and me.

There are absolutely some strong parts do this show, and it is entertaining enough to watch all the way through, but it can also be really frustrating.

In the end my preferred gamer romcom from from last year ended up being Recovery of an MMO Junkie.
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Honestly for me the web of misunderstandings got too ridiculous to the point of immersion breaking for me. If any of the characters actually sat down and talked things out, it would have solved so many issues. But instead everyone kept playing the game of jumping to conclusions and then acted accordingly, and you know what they say about when you assume things, it makes and ass out of you and me.

There are absolutely some strong parts do this show, and it is entertaining enough to watch all the way through, but it can also be really frustrating.

In the end my preferred gamer romcom from from last year ended up being Recovery of an MMO Junkie.

I agree with you. More because I'm old, and I loved seeing older people in a show for once. High school cookie cutter crap gets old.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
I hope Hi-Score Girl is the type of series I´m actually searching for, as this one sounds like it lives by using tried and tired rom-com tropes, another symptom of anime getting way too otaku instead of good.

If you like Street Fighter, you will love High Score Girl. It features quite a few 90s arcade games, but Street Fighter most prominently, to the point where I wish it would show more of other games. But yeah, that show is definitely more about games than gamers. Of course if you want something really in-depths, you should look outside of anime, but High Score Girl is the closest you will get.

I enjoyed game, but found it pretty forgettable overall. The bonus episode about DLC was the only thing that was actually interesting when it comes to games, everything else was mostly namedropping and generic descriptions like in other anime. The show was definitely easy to watch for me and had a likable cast, but yeah, the net of misunderstandings was frustrating.

I don’t really know what you mean about anime getting too otaku. High Score Girl is arguably much more otaku-ish in nature, and the tropes Gamers! uses have been around for at least two decades, in all kinds of different anime, including many shoujo romances. There are plenty of shows blatantly aimed at otaku right now, but Gamers is pretty much a "for everyone" type of show.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
I liked the ridiculous comedy of Gamers! enough that I billed it as one of the best comedies of '17. Oh, and there was something about gaming in it too, but that was a total sideshow.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I really loved this anime. The characters were far better than most of it's genre. I also liked the main didn't end up changing his mindset just because of a girl. He stayed true to himself the entire show, and was better for it. Aguri though....FAR deeper character than I expected. Absolutely love her.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Lmao, I remember a lot of peeps got triggered that Gamers is NOT actually a series about gaming, but had just a tiny bits of it. Still, the series is vastly enjoyable. The story was filler-free (unless you are very nitpicky to mention the last episode), you get to see the characters grow in a compelling manner, there's also little to none ecchi elements which is very commendable nowadays and the comedy, is without a doubt, the perfect blend of humour, gags, and twists.

I hope more people would see it without initial gaming expectations to see the beauty of it.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
I don’t really know what you mean about anime getting too otaku.

How is it possible to not get this in 2018?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
I think that it takes a certain good writing to make misunderstanding actually funny, instead of simply frustrating. For recent years, it feels like mostly this and This Art Club Has a Problem, that really managed to make a string of misunderstanding so entertaining. Particular part I remember as funny was the part in the classroom that we had the internal monologue of each character was incredibly contradictory with each other.

Extra kudos too in that it bucked expectations by things like not taking the easy route like just being a club, the similar gamer girl has big disagreements with the gamer boy protagonist over minute differences that would be a big deal to such fans, their interaction was kind of refreshing. The friendship between him an Agury was also kind of nice, in how little romance was involved, despite the misunderstandings. The Game of Life also had the very funny narrative built up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1