• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Goblin Slayer Anime Ends With 'Goblin Slayer Will Return' Message

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why people are so angry about hearing about a second season?? It wasn't bad but itit wasn't amazing amazing. Are people still upset over the first episode or something?? That was nothing compared to that SAO episode.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Most watched show in the US this season on CR. He will return, and the goblins best prepare.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy more of this poorly paced, animated and acted anime with cardboard characters and a basic plot that doesn't follow its own rules (goblins are supposed to be so low level and worthless so as to not be bothered with, yet they raped one of the strongest characters in the show?)
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Oh boy more of this poorly paced, animated and acted anime with cardboard characters and a basic plot that doesn't follow its own rules (goblins are supposed to be so low level and worthless so as to not be bothered with, yet they raped one of the strongest characters in the show?)

The series has problems sure, but you're wrong about one thing at the very least. The series says goblins are often underestimated and are deadly in packs.

"Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer" as Darkest Dungeon says.

Edit: As Batman often says, some random lucky punk/thug will likely be his downfall. Just someone that he normally would have no problem handling.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I wonder why people are so angry about hearing about a second season?? It wasn't bad but itit wasn't amazing amazing. Are people still upset over the first episode or something?? That was nothing compared to that SAO episode.

It's mostly the combination of severe changes to the novels' story (all of the female characters' roles were downsized and the combat flow has been changed so it's less of a proper fantasy series with a diverse cast and more yet pseudo-isekai with an overpowered protagonist and his harem), constant awkward attempts at edginess, at times borderline incoherent script due to the series' desire to have its cake and to eat it too, and the animation budget of five bucks per episode.

It was mostly propelled to fame by edgelords who swore up and down how dark and edgy and controversial the whole thing will be from start to finish, and even those edgelords turned against the series in the end because of how milquetoast it was after the first episode.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
the reason people get upset about a second season is because the series is popular and gets more attention. Then whatever there favourite series is. It's was the same when SAO first started. Sad but that's how some anime fans act.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
Half of me is glad that goblin slayer is getting a second season. The other half remembers that Re:Zero and the devil is a part timer deserve a second season but I doubt White Fox will ever give them one.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

These days, people will complain about anything and everything. Just look at very recently you heard people complaining about stories, movies, and music from decades ago. Modern culture is too short tempered and illsighted. Those hating Goblin Slayer only see the rape scenes and automatically villianized the story for promoting rape culture than looking at the real story that actually a message of the real world of people purposely turning a blind eye of real evil and only reacting when it suits their agenda. Sounds familiar? Like modern politics?

So when it comes to Season 2, the haters in their minds are expecting it will be promoting more "wrongs" and likely will just be toned down a bit to the level of regular anime series.

Blankslate wrote:

If you paid attention to the series only the little ones were the weak Goblins, while the more specialized ones were the more dangerous foes, just like in MMOPRGs.

And the pace was very decent , it wasn't all over the place or rushing it. You got into their heads and understood tactics and their reasonings while other harem animes where it's all about the girls gushing over the guy for no real reason.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
I thought the show was solid and I'd be fine with seeing another season of this. The first episode very much went for shock value to drop you into that setting. But the show as a whole was pretty well handled and really didn't do anything crazy that turned me away from it.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
Everyone is always trying to make GS so serious (both the biggest fans and the biggest haters) when the author of the novels is just like “uhhh I like D&D and LOTR!”

It’s really just D&D slice of life more than anything ...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
That is great news and for me Goblin Slayer was one of the top 5 anime of the year. They did push the limits a bit with the first episode to get attention, which worked considering how much attention it got, but the rest of it was accurate to the light novels. The only real issue is that the anime didn't have some of the minor events with other characters which gave additional perspective on the world.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised the article had nothing more to add other than just repeating its own headliner. Rolling Eyes
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:27 am Reply with quote
More Goblin Slayer is great news for me since I throughly enjoyed the first season and yes I do wish that the series would have taken more from the novels but in the end Goblin Slayer was still a good show.

{Edit}: I edited your post. There's no need to make bait comments to try and antagonize people. ~ Psycho 101
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
The other half remembers that Re:Zero and the devil is a part timer deserve a second season but I doubt White Fox will ever give them one.

That decision wouldn't be up to White Fox, as they are just the studio contracted to animate both.
-SP-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:07 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

Should be the other way around. The SAO episode had nothing on Goblin Slayer's rape scene.

Hyped for season 2, it's funny seeing how many people are mad about this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3