• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 17-23 [2018-12-25]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
GuP still dominating is straight up hilarious for this time.
And hell, look at this Horizon numbers. Solid 6k (at least, because it was released at the end of the week) for 38k yen two-season boxset for the anime that was BD-only already, after god damn six years from the second season release. Yeah, we live in the cruel world.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see that Bloom Into You was not a flop. Perhaps we might get a second season.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai! I know that there’s a movie already on the way, but I hope that another TV season of it can be made as well.
Super_M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
ZLS is nice show I liked it even if idols is not my favorite genre.

Now I'm curious ZLS or SAO will be best selling show this season in terms of discs.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
And Studio MAPPA (along with Cygames) finally has a worthy hit IP for the otaku with Zombieland Saga, and all it took is to zombify the idol genre (plus other aspects)!

angelmcazares wrote:
I am glad to see that Bloom Into You was not a flop. Perhaps we might get a second season.

Combining both BD and DVD sales, Bloom into You sell 3,301 discs is definitely not bad at all. I'm trying to looks to see if this is the highest number of Vol. 1 units sold for a yuri title; I believe Kashimashi was 3,082 And no I don't count Yuru Yuri.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And Studio MAPPA (along with Cygames) finally has a worthy hit IP for the otaku with Zombieland Saga, and all it took is to zombify the idol genre (plus other aspects)!

I think this is a very good point to remind people that while Cygames certainly has gained a huge influence in raising IPs up by applying their mix media practices, in this particular case they are not the central pillar of this show's committee.

Avex Pictures resides at the top of the committee's hierarchy, luckily their focus is witin home video sales so they should be at least pleased with this result. It will depend though if they are willing to make amends to take this franchise even further and aim for another production. If they were to pull out I'm not sure Cygames would be willing to move up and tank a big chunk of the funding cost.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, I knew those early Hi Score Girl estimates were too high, but I wasn't expecting them to miss by this much. Can we still hope for Netflix to fund a second season anyway?
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I do not see tensei shitara slime, did not sell much?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
I do not see tensei shitara slime, did not sell much?

Volume 1 will release on January 29, so of course it doesn't feature here (yet).

That said, the release format seems a bit odd compared to what you would normally expect from a normal Japanese Blu-ray release. It will be released in mini-boxes with six episodes on each.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Ouch, I knew those early Hi Score Girl estimates were too high, but I wasn't expecting them to miss by this much. Can we still hope for Netflix to fund a second season anyway?

Netflix didn't fund it. It was produced by Square Enix and Goodsmile. Netflix is nowhere in the credits for the Japanese broadcast earlier in the year nor the blurays.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Netflix didn't fund it. It was produced by Square Enix and Goodsmile. Netflix is nowhere in the credits for the Japanese broadcast earlier in the year nor the blurays.

I know, I was just hoping the streaming numbers would be high enough that Netflix would want to fund a second season themselves. Anyway, whatever Netflix paid for the exclusive streaming rights must have made the production committee a decent portion of their money back, so I hope that combined with the BD sales will be enough to make the show profitable.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
@ Zhou-BR
well I hope they make enough back too! Square Enix must've had some extra expenses from the SNK lawsuit, settlement and subsequent licensing they had to do for the rights of the other games including SNK for the manga and anime. But aside from the streaming and BDs, there's also other revenue streams such as merchandise like figures and increasing the original manga's sales. To be honest even though I loved the show, it's not the kind of show I'd expect people to pay big money for the JP blurays.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It is good to see Zombie Land Saga with high sales and hopefully this will help it get a second season. Also nice to see Uma Musume Pretty Derby still selling well since the show had a lot of charm to it.

configspace wrote:
Sure, but the licensing money from Netflix is supposed to be a lot higher than the competing services so there is a somewhat higher chance that Hi Score Girl will get a second season.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Go ZLS go go gog go go! So happy with those sales.

Decent sales for Bloom Into You.........I would have liked more tho.

And the most surprising thing is without a doubt the sales of Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, like damn, surprising quantity for:
1. A Blu-ray Box
2. A series from 6 years ago

Last edited by SkyLETV34 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed but not surprised than Hi-Score Girl didn't sell more. It's a very cheap looking show but I'd say everything else about it is very pleasing and comfy.

Horizon's sales give me hope that we can see a third season SOMEDAY.

What hurts the most is Golden Wind's sales for the first volume. While increasingly popular in the West, JoJo has been suffering decreasing sales with each new saga and while it's understandable considering the investment it implies to buy the whole thing, I worry that at this pace we might not get Stone Ocean or Steel Ball Run.

Before anyone tells me otherwise, I know blu-ray sales aren't necessarily the main source of income, but I'm pretty sure they're important and as a collector of JoJo action figures I can assure you the releases for those have been slowing down a lot over the last couple of years and they don't sell as much as before either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2