• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus Reveals Persona 5 The Royal Project With PS4 Listing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
So is this another Marie, or a Female Protag? Guess we'll find out in April
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:21 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Still, it seems pretty early for a re-release, especially since it looks like it'll still be exclusive to the same platform it released on originally instead of the Switch port people thought this would be. I guess we'll find out in April lol
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

In the teaser she talks about how she doesn't like the Phantom Thieves or think what they do is right, which indicates they're already a formed team she's not a part of. Unless this is an entirely new game rather than a enhanced version. the closest to a female protagonist she'll be is if it's a side-story where you control her, like with Aigis in Persona 3 FES.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
Almost certainly a new character. I'm assuming her big contribution to the story will be spoiler[replacing Akechi after he leaves the party].
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, they're doing V-Day... how many girls did he end up dating in the anime?!
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:
Still, it seems pretty early for a re-release, especially since it looks like it'll still be exclusive to the same platform it released on originally instead of the Switch port people thought this would be. I guess we'll find out in April lol

Persona 3 FES came out less than a year after the original did on PS2. Persona 4 likely didn't get that treatment because PS2 was on its way out by the time the original release dropped.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Persona 3 FES came out less than a year after the original did on PS2. Persona 4 likely didn't get that treatment because PS2 was on its way out by the time the original release dropped.

Which is an interesting assessment (which isn't necessarily wrong) in and of itself given that Persona 4 came out in 2008 after the PS3 had already launched and games for the platform were still being made for the PS2 up til 2013.

And then of course Golden was on the Vita and well you know....
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally hoping this will be a stand-alone budget priced sequel.

Like a Persona 5-2. Maybe it runs in parallel with some of the end scenarios of Persona 5, but then goes a bit further.

Something more substantial than just some add-on DLC. Or the typical P3P P4G expansions that I just tend to ignore.

So sort of like being to Persona 5 what Lost Legacy was to Uncharted 4.

A new lead and new cast and new story set after the events of P5 that also tests new ideas that they might want to do in future games of the series.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which is an interesting assessment (which isn't necessarily wrong) in and of itself given that Persona 4 came out in 2008 after the PS3 had already launched and games for the platform were still being made for the PS2 up til 2013.

And then of course Golden was on the Vita and well you know....

Rolling Eyes

Yes, PS2 still received games for a number of years after 2008. Let's not pretend it was still getting a slate of semi-notable exclusives (late localizations don't count) by then. New releases on it were mainly multi-platform titles that had PSP/Wii versions. Atlus wasn't launching games on multiple platforms at the same time back then.

As for Golden, it was announced before Vita was even released. PSP was hugely successful in Japan and made Atlus good money through their re-releases. It made sense to support its successor, especially when they tried and failed to port P4 to PSP. Vita ended up being a failed platform, but it's not like Golden or their pre-2018 releases on it sold poorly anyway.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Vita ended up being a failed platform.

news too me, the whole reason i got the vita in the 1st place was because of golden, but the vita is a jrpg players' dream from being able too download every final fantasy up to 10-2 on it , chrono series, xenogears, lunar silver star harmony ..etc.etc.etc i got my fill and them some with well over 30 + games for it

anyhow i hope they just do another golden treatment..maybe introduce haru much earlier...or add an epilogue or spoiler[showing some additional scenes with joker in jail from jan - feb]
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I hope that if this is an expansion of P5, it's available as a DLC add-on for the original game. It would be such an EA move to make us pay full-price for the content we already own. If it is an expansion, I appreciate not having to buy a whole new handheld console just for the Definitive Experience like P4 did.
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I hope that if this is an expansion of P5, it's available as a DLC add-on for the original game. It would be such an EA move to make us pay full-price for the content we already own.

If there's any new Confidants, that will mean reworking the entire game calendar to fit them all in (as with P4G and P3FES). No chance of something like that being a DLC.
GentlemanGamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not especially convinced that this is a PS4 only release, even if that's all the site shows ATM. Persona has been - barring spin offs- a Sony only affair up till now. I'd imagine if anything major or mainline is working it's way to Switch, they'd want to make more of a splash with it.

On that note, I think since Persona concerts usually host many of these major announcements, it's reasonably likely that IF a switch version is coming we'll see an announcement there. We know that P5 R is getting an announcement then and we also know Joker is getting released next month as well. Presuming that the latter isn't unveiled at a Nintendo Direct, I think Joker's release would work best as a shadow drop at the concert combined with an announcement for P5 ( and maybe P5R) for switch.

... The two announced at once would also make sense if we're really getting a feMC. If that Smash rumor is true and she's a Joker alt, it'd make sense for that to be under wraps. But now we're getting into conspiracy theory territory, so I'll stop.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
In the teaser she talks about how she doesn't like the Phantom Thieves or think what they do is right, which indicates they're already a formed team she's not a part of.

Roughly translated from the YouTube auto-sub (which we'd usually get in the article):
"What do you think of the Phantom Thieves?"
"I think people helping is great...But I don't like it. How are the Phantom Thieves any real change? I feel like I'm not helping people--It's about solving it. I feel like I must finally be myself."

DRWii wrote:
Almost certainly a new character. I'm assuming her big contribution to the story will be spoiler[replacing Akechi after he leaves the party].

So could go either way--I'm with DRWii's guess about a new "infiltrating" replacement member who turns good (this time).
Although where the "Royal" comes from is still up in the air, since we already have a team member who's the daughter of one of the nasty corporate grownups.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I hope that if this is an expansion of P5, it's available as a DLC add-on for the original game. It would be such an EA move to make us pay full-price for the content we already own.

P3F had an "Append Version" in Japan for anyone who already bought P3, so it's certainly possible.

GentlemanGamer wrote:
Presuming that the latter isn't unveiled at a Nintendo Direct, I think Joker's release would work best as a shadow drop at the concert combined with an announcement for P5 (and maybe P5R) for switch.

Joker news would definitely come from Nintendo, though I wouldn't be surprised it he released the same week for synergy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2