Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Helpful Fox Senko-san


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chrono1000



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 1120
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The most adorable show of the season. Senko is clever, cute, and kind which for a lot of people will make her the best fox girl in anime. From the first two episodes the show looks to be tamer than Dragon Maid but don't lewd the loli will be heard a bit more often. It is mainly a soothing show but the comedy is funny such as when Senko asked Kuroto if he was really human after she heard him say that he only sleeps 4 hours a night. Considering what some people go through in the anime industry this show might be their dream as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pwnagemaster



Joined: 09 Dec 2017
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see this show is going to be covered. I've been following the manga since fan-translations first came out, and I've kept up with it this whole time.

Could've done without the "implied gender politics" comment. 1) We're not watching this show to think about "gender politics," and 2) you already explained exactly why it's a female doing housework for a male: Nakano is still a self-insert for the audience, which will be primarily male. Thankfully, he's a much more likable self-insert than we usually see in anime.

And, as always:
TOUCH
FLUFFY
TAIL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vanadise
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 06 Apr 2015
Posts: 182
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I want to like this show, but some of the same concerns that were brought up by the reviewer are making it hard for me to have a good time.

On the other hand, it did make me start rewatching Konohana Kitan, and that show is so, so good. If you're interested in Senko-san but haven't watched Konohana Kitan yet, you should go do that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wellington



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
How come this is being reviewed but Uzamaid and Wataten didn't? Guess ANN hates loli shows when it's yuri and only picks up the ones that are het.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jonny Mendes



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Posts: 898
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The perfect anime to watch after a hard work day.
Is soothing, adorable and also fluffy.

I don't really understand what is the problem the reviewer have with shows that have self-insert MC's even if he told that is fine in this story.
Self inserted is what makes many Manga, LN's and anime so successful in Japan. Is what many in the audience are looking for when they read or watch this stories.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel



Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 152
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I have dropped it after the 2nd episode.

Not that good and not really interesting enough for me to continue to watch it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 559
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
How come this is being reviewed but Uzamaid and Wataten didn't? Guess ANN hates loli shows when it's yuri and only picks up the ones that are het.


There's a poll for what gets streaming reviews. The ANN staff don't decide what gets reviewed, those who vote do.

I have a myriad of problems with ANN myself, but maybe don't jump to false assumptions that can be easily avoided. No one will take you seriously when there's something worth criticizing.


Anyway, as for me, Senko-san has been quite the pleasant delight. I've caught up to the manga, what little there's been, and the series can get a bit...weird at times, for sure, but it's mostly remained wholesome and cozy, as it intends to be. Don't expect it to get as bad as other loli shows in the past have been.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animegomaniac



Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 3260
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It is ok and there's no opinion that can change my mind on that notion.... or the one that tells me this show would be a hundred times better in both healing and comedy if Senko was in fact male. But animal/monster girls sell even when their selling point isn't your selling point.... yet their selling point dilutes this show's point; Half the time after their interactions I just think "... and this is when they do it, right?" The work this show most reminds me off is in fact actual porn so.... yeah....

And let's face it: This is My Roommate Is a Cat without its hard hitting drama. It even has the "animal roommate leads to romance with local neighbor... somehow" plot potential even if it's just more nonsensical here seeing how they're almost direct neighbors and their roommate[s] are supernatural spirit helpers.... I don't know the manga but it's going in that direction as well, right? So why not throw in Dragon Maid as well?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wellington



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
There's a poll for what gets streaming reviews. The ANN staff don't decide what gets reviewed, those who vote do.
I have a myriad of problems with ANN myself, but maybe don't jump to false assumptions that can be easily avoided. No one will take you seriously when there's something worth criticizing.

That's the point. ANN does hate loli anime when it's yuri and loves it when it's het. Uzamaid and Wataten are boring as hell because there's no male MC to self-insert but Senko-san is so much better than them because there's a male MC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kitsu Kyouno



Joined: 22 Dec 2018
Posts: 55
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
There's a poll for what gets streaming reviews. The ANN staff don't decide what gets reviewed, those who vote do.
I have a myriad of problems with ANN myself, but maybe don't jump to false assumptions that can be easily avoided. No one will take you seriously when there's something worth criticizing.

That's the point. ANN does hate loli anime when it's yuri and loves it when it's het. Uzamaid and Wataten are boring as hell because there's no male MC to self-insert but Senko-san is so much better than them because there's a male MC.


it's not fair, I really enjoy uzamaid and wataten much more since the relationship seems more charismatic and intimate between girls, while this falls in the typical Manic Pixie Dream Girl a type of plot seen in shows that really dislike me like "to love-ru" they always criticize and point out isekai shows as only self-insertion and wish fullfilment this case is not very different.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8089
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought she was going to set fire to the kitchen, but then the pot she put on kinda vanished into thin air and apparently took the flame with it, so that didn't happen, which is good.

She doesn't really need the stove and the vacuum hurts her ears, so those can be avoided. But he does need to explain the washer, a/c, electronics and maybe the rice cooker to her. Though I guess the only reason the rice failed was the power outage, so I guess she's got that down.

It didn't seem like there were any repercussions from him missing Sunday work without even calling in. Maybe he should do that more often...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pwnagemaster



Joined: 09 Dec 2017
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm going to be very disappointed if this show doesn't end with Senko instigating a nationwide labor revolt.


I'm just imagining a Fox-girl KGB going to someone's house in the middle of the night, and informing them they haven't met their tail-fluffing quota.
And Gulags where they're forced to make the shrine maiden outfits for the various foxgirls.
I'm normally against communism, but I would gladly welcome our fluffy overlords.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yurigasaki



Joined: 06 Apr 2015
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:
Wellington wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
There's a poll for what gets streaming reviews. The ANN staff don't decide what gets reviewed, those who vote do.
I have a myriad of problems with ANN myself, but maybe don't jump to false assumptions that can be easily avoided. No one will take you seriously when there's something worth criticizing.

That's the point. ANN does hate loli anime when it's yuri and loves it when it's het. Uzamaid and Wataten are boring as hell because there's no male MC to self-insert but Senko-san is so much better than them because there's a male MC.


it's not fair, I really enjoy uzamaid and wataten much more since the relationship seems more charismatic and intimate between girls, while this falls in the typical Manic Pixie Dream Girl a type of plot seen in shows that really dislike me like "to love-ru" they always criticize and point out isekai shows as only self-insertion and wish fullfilment this case is not very different.


I understand this is going to come off as pretty inflammatory, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's important not to discard the fact that Uzamaid and Wataten don't so much have 'lolicon subtext' as they have 'pedophilic text'. Senko-san absolutely plays into lolicon pandering by emphasizing how much Senko looks like a child, but as the show constantly reminds us, she is indeed 800 years old. For all intents and purposes, regardless of how she looks, Senko is a competent adult fully consenting to the time she spends with Kuroto and the two of them are roughly of the same standing with each other. There isn't anything coercive or predatory about their relationship.

Uzamaid and Wataten, by contrast, are explicitly about actual, real, honest to god children being preyed on and pursued by adults – the maid in Uzamaid even makes a point of talking about how she's only attracted to girls who haven't menstruated. Unlike Senko-san, where the admittedly present lolicon pandering is just a side dish to the main series, the whole point of these other shows is children being harrassed and pursued by adults (or at the very least, people vastly outside their age bracket, in the case of Wataten).

Pedophilia is a massively touchy subject, especially in Western territories and ignoring that context to put up the strawman of ANN HATES YURI is pretty willfully ignorant of the fact that these three shows are massively different in tone and presentation and really doesn't make it look like you're arguing in good faith.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wellington



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
I understand this is going to come off as pretty inflammatory, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's important not to discard the fact that Uzamaid and Wataten don't so much have 'lolicon subtext' as they have 'pedophilic text'. Senko-san absolutely plays into lolicon pandering by emphasizing how much Senko looks like a child, but as the show constantly reminds us, she is indeed 800 years old. For all intents and purposes, regardless of how she looks, Senko is a competent adult fully consenting to the time she spends with Kuroto and the two of them are roughly of the same standing with each other. There isn't anything coercive or predatory about their relationship.

Uzamaid and Wataten, by contrast, are explicitly about actual, real, honest to god children being preyed on and pursued by adults – the maid in Uzamaid even makes a point of talking about how she's only attracted to girls who haven't menstruated. Unlike Senko-san, where the admittedly present lolicon pandering is just a side dish to the main series, the whole point of these other shows is children being harrassed and pursued by adults (or at the very least, people vastly outside their age bracket, in the case of Wataten).

Pedophilia is a massively touchy subject, especially in Western territories and ignoring that context to put up the strawman of ANN HATES YURI is pretty willfully ignorant of the fact that these three shows are massively different in tone and presentation and really doesn't make it look like you're arguing in good faith.

Sounds like a sad pathetic disgusting excuse and more than pretty inflammatory. So a loli anime with a male MC shows maturity but a loli anime with a female MC is just pedophile. Thanks for proving more that ANN hates yuri and people love treating yuri like crap. Why do you have yuri in your name when you hate yuri anyway? Were you upset that you couldn't self-insert as the female MCs? I'm happy that Uzamaid and Wataten aren't your typical crappy loli anime. Whatever the hell you said about them, they were damn good and they're certainly better than this piece of crap.


Last edited by Wellington on Sat May 04, 2019 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yurigasaki



Joined: 06 Apr 2015
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
yurigasaki wrote:
I understand this is going to come off as pretty inflammatory, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's important not to discard the fact that Uzamaid and Wataten don't so much have 'lolicon subtext' as they have 'pedophilic text'. Senko-san absolutely plays into lolicon pandering by emphasizing how much Senko looks like a child, but as the show constantly reminds us, she is indeed 800 years old. For all intents and purposes, regardless of how she looks, Senko is a competent adult fully consenting to the time she spends with Kuroto and the two of them are roughly of the same standing with each other. There isn't anything coercive or predatory about their relationship.

Uzamaid and Wataten, by contrast, are explicitly about actual, real, honest to god children being preyed on and pursued by adults – the maid in Uzamaid even makes a point of talking about how she's only attracted to girls who haven't menstruated. Unlike Senko-san, where the admittedly present lolicon pandering is just a side dish to the main series, the whole point of these other shows is children being harrassed and pursued by adults (or at the very least, people vastly outside their age bracket, in the case of Wataten).

Pedophilia is a massively touchy subject, especially in Western territories and ignoring that context to put up the strawman of ANN HATES YURI is pretty willfully ignorant of the fact that these three shows are massively different in tone and presentation and really doesn't make it look like you're arguing in good faith.

Sounds like a sad pathetic excuse and more than pretty inflammatory. So a loli anime with a male MC shows maturity but a loli with a female MC is just pedophile. Thanks for proving more that ANN hates yuri and people love treating yuri like crap. Why do you have yuri in your name when you hate yuri anyway?


I'm a gay woman, but it's nice to know that even people who can't read are finding ways to participate in discussion of anime on forums like this. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group