• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Favorite Anime Directors Part 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
No Akiyuki Shinbo? Lame Sad

Tho I voted for Anno, the man of LOL ART FILM directing. Watanabe's good, but you know, the LOL MUSIC INSPIRES ME only goes so far.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Satoshi Kon because Millenium Actress remains to be one of my favorite movies ever. (I still get teary eyed everytime I watch it)
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I really love Millenium Actress and Perfect Blue so the temptation to vote for Kon was quite high. However, being a rabid fan of Revolutionary Girl Utena trumps that so I voted for Ikuhara. Between watching the show, reading various interviews, and learning about the Ikuhara drinking game, I just can't bring myself not to vote for him. Now if only he and Saito Chiho would consider doing some more of The World Exists for Me.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Seiji Mizushima, for purely sentimental reasons. He's directed two of my three favorite series, without both of which my life would be entirely different. As nerdy as that sounds.

-sigh- I really need to watch a wider variety of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I second the mourning of no Akiyuki Shinbo on that list. Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Despite some of his missteps (especially his most recent one with the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam movie trilogy), I believe Yoshiyuki Tomino is probably the most consitently great director in anime.

He was a pioneer in the "real mecha" genre with the original Mobile Suit Gundam, which failed in its first TV airing but gained enough popularity later for Sunrise to allow the creation of the remarkable original trilogy movies. He later directed Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Gundam F91, Victory Gundam, and Turn A Gundam. He's shown some disdain for some of these works, due to pressures to create new Gundam works and his reported depression, but he does him self too little credit.

Besides which, he directed Space Runaway Ideon and Aura Battler Dunbine, two popular non-Gundam works of his.

He's probably a better director than writer - some of his character interactions and dialogue can be akward and unnerving - but this is a poll about directing, and Tomino is a truly great, truly prolific director.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey, my favorite anime director is missing from the list. What's up with that, man? I voted for Shinichi Watanabe (not Shinichiro Watanabe) since he just barely beats Akitaro Daichi as my favorite director from the list that was presented, but if given the option to I would have voted for Tsutomu Mizushima without even looking at the other contenders.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Voted Tatsuya Ishihara.

Haruhi isn't hyped up for nothing; it was incredibly well-directed with excellent pacing and structure, and attention to small details such as certain aspects of the animation and subtle plot devices. Not to mention both Air and Kanon 2006 are really careful with how they utilize their source material.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Pretty tough choice between Satoshi Kon and Ikuhara: I just finished Utena recently and was blown away, I love Ikuhara's style (and hilarious personality!). But Satoshi Kon's produced more anime that have astounded me, so I picked him for having a more prolific career.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Junichi Sato was listed this time. He's definitely my choice (Magic User's Club, Princess Tutu, Pretear, Kaleido Star, Sgt. Frog, etc.)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
I voted for Junichi Sato. I almost voted for Satoshi Kon or Seji Mizushima--as I've really enjoyed both Paranoia Agent and FMA--but haven't seen anything besides those series, where I've seen more from Sato and have greatly enjoyed all of his work. Looking forward to watching more of his series soon.

Plus, to be honest, I'm a rabid Princess Tutu fangirl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
I voted for Goro Taniguchi. Infinite Ryvius, his first work as chief director, is one of my favorites. The character interation in that series was just much better than that of any other series I've seen. And I'm also one of the many Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion fans out there. Very Happy
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
I voted for Kon, then realized I probably should of voted for Ikuhara. I adore Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent, but Utena a bit more. Ah well. Kon still deserves it, his movies are amazing.
akitainu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
For me, it is all Akitaro Daichi.
He has orchestrated the funny: Jubei-chan (1&2), Kodocha, Furaba, Animation Runner Kuromi 1 & 2, and Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran.
But he has also piloted the emotional pull of: Bokura ga Ita, Furaba, Kodocha, Ima, Sokoni Iru Boku.
Notice the cross-overs.
Oh, there are others.
But, these are the best spells that I can recall as conjured...at least here and tonight.

Last edited by akitainu on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote
I voted for Makoto Shinkai. Voices of a Distant Star & The Place Promised in Our Early Days are my favorite anime movies. He definetly has a way of setting mood and atmosphere through beautiful scenery. Both stories deeply moved me. I am definitely looking forward to his next work: Speed of 5 Centimeters Per Second

A very close second is Satoshi Kon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3