Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Directors Discuss Film's Japanese Anime Influences


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 1426
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
What I want to know is if one of the scenes of Miles jumping off the building was influenced by Ghost in the Shell because it reminded me a lot of the famous scene of Motoko jumping off the building.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aca Vuksa



Joined: 22 Mar 2018
Posts: 430
Location: Nis, Serbia
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Penny has also gotten a lot of fanart from Japanese through Twitter and Pixiv, she is the most admirable girl i've ever seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 4980
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Penny has also gotten a lot of fanart from Japanese through Twitter and Pixiv, she is the most admirable girl i've ever seen.


If Sony plays their cards right, they should at the very least let a Japanese anime production studio do a full-fledged Penny Parker spinoff series or movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kitsu Kyouno



Joined: 22 Dec 2018
Posts: 63
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
praise for the spider loli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 456
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I can believe they were inspired by Miyazaki, but Sailor Moon as the most favorite anime of the guys who make the animated Spiderman movie? Pretty reliable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireballDragon



Joined: 17 Nov 2014
Posts: 525
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Penny has also gotten a lot of fanart from Japanese through Twitter and Pixiv, she is the most admirable girl i've ever seen.


If Sony plays their cards right, they should at the very least let a Japanese anime production studio do a full-fledged Penny Parker spinoff series or movie.


It's "Peni," for the record.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
j_plex



Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Penny has also gotten a lot of fanart from Japanese through Twitter and Pixiv, she is the most admirable girl i've ever seen.


If Sony plays their cards right, they should at the very least let a Japanese anime production studio do a full-fledged Penny Parker spinoff series or movie.


First off Peni Parker kawaii not loli because sexuality isn't a component of the character at all, and it wasn't with the original iteration of the character either.

The chances of Sony playing their cards right are next to nothing. I could go on an anti-Sony rant but I will just summarize it with this: it wasn't that long ago when Sony was more prominent than Apple, Google and Samsung combined. Look at them now.

Any way, it doesn't matter. Sony only owns the movie rights to Spider Man characters. Disney owns the TV rights. Disney has nothing to gain by making a Peni Parker cartoon, and were they to try they would ruin it in the same way that Disney Anime hyper did Amazing Spider Man, GOTG and Big Hero 6. I wouldn't mind seeing a Peni Parker movie, but for it to have any chance at success it would need to be a legit anime project where they would back off and let Sunrise, Madhouse or Bones completely do their thing. Or maybe Toei (Pretty Cure, Dragon Ball) or OLM (Pokemo and many Pokemon knockfoffs) if they want it to be PG as opposed to PG-13. What they shouldn't do is one of those "made in Japan but for western audiences" that always turns into garbage like "Rise of Technovore."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Commander Cluck



Joined: 02 May 2019
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Penny has also gotten a lot of fanart from Japanese through Twitter and Pixiv, she is the most admirable girl i've ever seen.


If Sony plays their cards right, they should at the very least let a Japanese anime production studio do a full-fledged Penny Parker spinoff series or movie.


Marvel has zero interest in pushing Peni Parker, even if she is the character everyone obviously likes the most from the movie. Their whole goal is pushing Miles and Gwen, which they've been trying to do in the comics for years now to no real success. Pretty sure they already said any sequel would revolve about them.

Plus I wouldn't count on any Japan focused Spider-Verse stuff. The movie bombed in Japan and wasn't well received there. Not much of a market to capitalize on there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scion Drake



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 357
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Penny has also gotten a lot of fanart from Japanese through Twitter and Pixiv, she is the most admirable girl i've ever seen.


If Sony plays their cards right, they should at the very least let a Japanese anime production studio do a full-fledged Penny Parker spinoff series or movie.


First off Peni Parker kawaii not loli because sexuality isn't a component of the character at all, and it wasn't with the original iteration of the character either.

The chances of Sony playing their cards right are next to nothing. I could go on an anti-Sony rant but I will just summarize it with this: it wasn't that long ago when Sony was more prominent than Apple, Google and Samsung combined. Look at them now.

Any way, it doesn't matter. Sony only owns the movie rights to Spider Man characters. Disney owns the TV rights. Disney has nothing to gain by making a Peni Parker cartoon, and were they to try they would ruin it in the same way that Disney Anime hyper did Amazing Spider Man, GOTG and Big Hero 6. I wouldn't mind seeing a Peni Parker movie, but for it to have any chance at success it would need to be a legit anime project where they would back off and let Sunrise, Madhouse or Bones completely do their thing. Or maybe Toei (Pretty Cure, Dragon Ball) or OLM (Pokemo and many Pokemon knockfoffs) if they want it to be PG as opposed to PG-13. What they shouldn't do is one of those "made in Japan but for western audiences" that always turns into garbage like "Rise of Technovore."


Edit: Okay I get what they mean how.


Last edited by Scion Drake on Mon May 20, 2019 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeorgeC



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 750
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:21 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:


“Ruin GOTG”.......

Alright sure whatever you say.


He's talking about Disney's GOTG animated series on its cable channels.

And I agree with him.
Disney RUINED The Avengers and Spider-Man in animation. They had very good animated series running (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, The Spectacular Spider-Man) running before Disney came along and CANCELLED both those series after they bought out Marvel.
Disney has a tendency to cancel shows in the middle of production when they take over companies. Call it cost-cutting but you get the sense they do these things because they want to do the shows THEIR way and they want TO OWN them and bear the Disney name for the production company. Spectacular Spider-Man, btw, was a Sony-produced series and THE LAST Sony-produced Spider-Man TV series before the TV rights for future Spider-Man TV series reverted to Disney.
Disney replaced the shows they cancelled with far inferior series with worse animation and writing. (It happened with t=The Clone Wars, too, unless you care to think Rebels and Resistance are better Star Wars series than The Clone Wars was...) And Disney hasn't bothered to release the newer shows to home video (in the US at least) because they view the shows as ultimately disposable -- and it shows in the final product airing on the Disney channels.
For all the care that's gone into the Marvel live-action films until recently (they've been taking more short cuts recently with special effects and there are signs of cheapness in other areas), the animated product has been treated as the red-haired stepchild and there have been very few good Marvel animated series in the last 15 years. Most of them don't last past two seasons and they don't get written up as well as most of the DC animated shows for a reason...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scion Drake



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 357
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:


“Ruin GOTG”.......

Alright sure whatever you say.


He's talking about Disney's GOTG animated series on its cable channels.

And I agree with him.
Disney RUINED The Avengers and Spider-Man in animation. They had very good animated series running (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, The Spectacular Spider-Man) running before Disney came along and CANCELLED both those series after they bought out Marvel.
Disney has a tendency to cancel shows in the middle of production when they take over companies. Call it cost-cutting but you get the sense they do these things because they want to do the shows THEIR way and they want TO OWN them and bear the Disney name for the production company. Spectacular Spider-Man, btw, was a Sony-produced series and THE LAST Sony-produced Spider-Man TV series before the TV rights for future Spider-Man TV series reverted to Disney.
Disney replaced the shows they cancelled with far inferior series with worse animation and writing. (It happened with t=The Clone Wars, too, unless you care to think Rebels and Resistance are better Star Wars series than The Clone Wars was...) And Disney hasn't bothered to release the newer shows to home video (in the US at least) because they view the shows as ultimately disposable -- and it shows in the final product airing on the Disney channels.
For all the care that's gone into the Marvel live-action films until recently (they've been taking more short cuts recently with special effects and there are signs of cheapness in other areas), the animated product has been treated as the red-haired stepchild and there have been very few good Marvel animated series in the last 15 years. Most of them don't last past two seasons and they don't get written up as well as most of the DC animated shows for a reason...


Oh they were talking about the Marvel cartoons?

Okay then yeah I understand it, they never were of any stellar quality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doctordoom85



Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 1974
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Penny has also gotten a lot of fanart from Japanese through Twitter and Pixiv, she is the most admirable girl i've ever seen.


If Sony plays their cards right, they should at the very least let a Japanese anime production studio do a full-fledged Penny Parker spinoff series or movie.


Marvel has zero interest in pushing Peni Parker, even if she is the character everyone obviously likes the most from the movie. Their whole goal is pushing Miles and Gwen, which they've been trying to do in the comics for years now to no real success. Pretty sure they already said any sequel would revolve about them.

Plus I wouldn't count on any Japan focused Spider-Verse stuff. The movie bombed in Japan and wasn't well received there. Not much of a market to capitalize on there.


I think it's kind of an assumption that Peni was most people's favorite. I know a lot of people loved Spidey Noir, and Miles, Peter, and Gwen all got a lot of love as well.

Also, I'm not sure about Miles' sales (but I doubt they're bad, especially since he was the one part of the Ultimate verse that didn't completely fall apart. Probably helped the Spidey side of things was left mostly untouched by Ultimatum AKA one of, if not the, worst comic crossovers ever), but Spider-Gwen was a major success from the get-go, in fact her debut issue was among the highest selling of that year.

Also, kinda makes sense for a sequel to focus on Miles since he is the lead. Lord know I'm more excited for that then MCU's Peter who plays off the Avengers well but really wasn't that interesting in his solo film due to basically repeating the whole high school shenanigans AGAIN (which is partially why adult Peter in Spider-verse was AWESOME, seriously Peter graduates so early in the comics, why are we back in high school for the THIRD TIME?!) and just not having much motivation (oh look, let's not mention Uncle Ben at all. So Peter is just doing all this because.....he knows it the right thing to do. Wow, how original). Also doesn't help that as much as I like Ned all they did was rip-off the dynamic between Miles and his roommate Ganke (which is probably the real reason why not much was done with Ganke in the film).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kicksville



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 741
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Comic sales aren't a terribly reliable indicator of general character popularity at large at this point anyway - overall comic book sales are dreadful anyway, thanks to a combination of factors (not the least of which being how the direct market, with pre-order sales etc, works). I mean, it's saying something Marvel movies are the most popular in the world, and somehow sales aren't positively bonkers. I personally stopped buying them due to price, constant event interruptions, book restarts, lack of comic book stores, etc.

Like, it's no wonder manga kills DC and Marvels in sales.

That audience that finds out about Miles, Gwen, Ms. Marvel or whoever else, quite possibly doesn't read comic books at all, and nor do they really need to when there's movies and cartoons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
j_plex



Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
Maybe I should have been more clear: Disney ruined the cable channel - in the states Disney Anime hyper - versions of Spider-Man (which were excellent before), GOTG and Big Hero 6. Their superhero feature films - both live action as well as the animated ones like BH6 and The Incredibles franchise) are very good and in fact I wish they would make more theatrical animated films. But even there ...the Marvel phase 1 films (Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Hulk, Captain America 1 and even Thor 1) by Universal and Paramount were ... very different than the Disney ones. I will leave it to personal opinion as to whether they are better.

Saying "Spider Verse bombed in Japan" is false and willfully ignores context: American superhero movies generally don't play well in Japan just as Pixar and Star Wars movies usually don't do well in China. Spiderverse made $8 million in Japan for a movie that made $185 million overseas, but check Aquaman: $14 million out of $812 million. Avengers 3? $33 million in Japan out of $1.36 billion. So is claiming "Peni Parker was the only character anyone cared about." If anything the breakout character was Spider-Ham, and he's the one most linked to getting some sort of a spinoff.

That said, I didn't care much for Miles or Spider Gwen or the entire movie. I still say that the "groundbreaking animation" was just taking the title sequence to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood and doing a whole feature with it. I had no problem with it winning the Oscar because it was a down year for animation. Ralph Breaks The Internet was objectively bad, Incredibles 2 and Isle of Dogs were merely above average and Mirai no Mirai, in addition to being Hosada's 5th best film at most., wasn't even the best anime film last year.

But I am just thinking that giving Madhouse, Bones or the Pretty Cure team $15 million (Dragon Ball Super: Broly cost $9 million) to make a Peni Parker movie could be a huge return on a small investment on behalf of the same studio that spent $30 million on a last-minute advertising push for Ghostbusters AFTER their own research showed that the movie was going to be a flop and they had absolutely no way of making it back.

But Sony would actually have to be smart to realize that. But as we are talking about a company that has done a much worse job turning their video game franchises into successful movies and TV shows than Nintendo, Capcom and Sega despite owning their own major movie and TV show studios where Nintendo, Capcom and Sega do not ... they aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FilthyCasual



Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 1264
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
and just not having much motivation (oh look, let's not mention Uncle Ben at all. So Peter is just doing all this because.....he knows it the right thing to do. Wow, how original).

Civil War didn't mention Uncle Ben because literally every single person alive who's heard of Spider-Man knows the deal with Uncle Ben. There's been two prior Spider-Man series with Uncle Ben. Everyone knows Uncle Ben. His motivation's still Uncle Ben. Hell, his line to Tony about his motivations is along the lines of "If you can do the right thing and you don't, then the bad stuff that happens as a result is on you," which is a blatant reference to how Uncle Ben died.

On the Spider-Verse side, I'd be surprised if Miles wasn't the most popular of the Spideys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group