• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear (TV)
Season 02: Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (TV 2)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 19 volumes, written by Kumanano, illustrated by 029)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: EMT Squared

Genres: action, fantasy, romance

Themes: military

Plot Summary: Fifteen-year-old Yuna prefers staying home and obsessively playing her favorite VRMMO game to doing anything else, including going to school. When a strange new update gives her a one-of-a-kind bear outfit that comes with overpowered abilities, Yuna is torn: the outfit is unbearably cute, but too embarrassing to wear in-game. But then she suddenly finds herself transported into the world of the game, facing down monsters and magic for real, and the bear suit becomes her best weapon.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: October 7, 2020 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Season 02: April 3, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: Pending

Total: 12 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

We'll when the premise is about an adventurer who wears a bear suit with bear puppet gloves, the episode pretty much writes itself, doesn't it? Seems cute. Cute works for me.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:40 pm Reply with quote
With the main character in this show dressed in a bear suit, this show feels like it could be a spin-off of New Game!! since it reminds me of the game, Peco, that Aoba designed the characters for!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:16 am Reply with quote
I am kind of looking forward to this, but it has not turned up yet in my watching sources yet.
Janitor Tzap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay,

I watched episodes 1 & 2.

To put it bluntly.
The story is a mess.
spoiler[Episode 1 has our main protagonist {Yuna}, playing her VRMMO game.
And in the game, she is wearing the bear outfit, doing a quest to save a village from a black Viper.
Episode 2 has Yuna just now getting her Bear outfit, and has been transferred to the other world.]

Talk about poor writing. Anime dazed

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Just a flash forward first episode. Not exactly completely unique. Could be presented better, but it was obvious to me what was going on.

Funny that two shows this season apparently did the same thing for opposite reasons.

You have this taking a story from later in the series to show what she became, before going back and addressing the origin. But Wandering Witch went the other way. Taking the origin story originally published later in the source material, and putting it first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:03 am Reply with quote
I liked the second episode more. I think that the whole bear suit with powers that are hard to define somehow worked better in an episode that had Yuna understanding herself. I do think often it can work somehow being in a ridiculous bear onesie with bear puppets is so strange with understanding her power level, especially since she was overpowered immediately straight away anyway. And helps learning what she is about, like apparently she has been actually a little shallow in prizing money, which I think could have been done better than the bit at the end of the previous episode. I also don't know what to think about how she is apparently stuck now, but she could leave at the end of the previous episode some point in the future, one of the only mysteries I might have had otherwise is if she will be able to exit out of that world for her old one.

One thing I do like is that our protagonist is a girl, she is 15 so feels a little too young to say woman. I stan more for more female isekai protagonists, joining Catarina and Myne. And it is cute that a part is her bonding with other girls, without any ulterior elements to it.

I do wonder if she is going to do anything with her overpowered bear suit abilities outside of combat. The parts I also liked from the episode were the moments of realisation that she really does stand out, like maybe a random game setting someone in a cute bear costume might not feel to out of place, but everyone does look at her like she is totally bizarre. Makes me think of some sort of funny D&D ideas where you could make great magical items that look totally silly.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so she is trapped in another world, not a computer game. Well, as the lass herself says, whatever. Cute is as cute does and that's good enough for me, goshdarnit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

A certain helmeted adventurer would be very proud of Yuna's slaying of little (and big) green people in this episode.

And continued interactions between girls/ladies, the mage who Yuna forced all the harvesting of goblin stones from, and a merchant woman. Even her ridiculously cute bear fortress somehow works within this show. And I say all this that despite usual yuri goggles, I don't really feel that with any of this, thankfully especially with child characters.

Bear summons were cute too, kind of makes me wish that that I was not so familiar as from the first episode, because seeing things like her bonding and the white one sulking were pretty funny or cute.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 am Reply with quote
Kind of interesting that the two isekai's I'm following this season take radically different approaches with respect to the strength of their protags. KKK Bear (heh) goes with the OP protag while I'm Standing on a 1,000,000 Lives has very underpowered characters. I'm generally not a fan of OP leads, yet I thoroughly enjoy KKKB which I abscribe to its humour. It also helps that Yuna is not a Potato-kun like so many OP leads tend to be or an annoying dick like the dude from The Cautious Hero is Overly Cautious.

So who would win in a Yuna vs Kirito throw down???
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the doofus with the smartphone beats 'em all. Then Yuna falls in love with him for absolutely no reason.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Another isekai protagonist this season helps uncover that someone is secretly embezzling funds put forward by the lord.

The storyline coming down to child labor funding an orphanage over public expenses of the lord, kind of leaves a weird taste.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:57 am Reply with quote
Those who do not work, neither shall they eat! Laughing

As I said before, normally I'm not a fan of OP protags, but I'm actually enjoying this one. The cute bear suit no doubt helps. But there is something satisfying about watching the Bloody Bear cure deathly ill moms and uncover municipal corruption. I'm glad there isn't a huge emphasis on her easily disposing of monsters. I mean, we know she does, but that aspect hasn't really been front and center for these first episodes, except for maybe the black viper thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well, that could only be described as a confession, even if it was most likely a platonic gal pal sisters one where one of the girls is 10 years old. I am not going to just read yuri into it, but it is kind of hard to not see the undertones, even if it wants it to just be friends. Like, imagine if they were different genders, it would be even harder to hide it. Also, her approach to connecting areas like making a tunnel reminds me of my technique in Minecraft.

Anyway, it finished, it was an okay cute show, I really don't have a whole lot to say. It managed an alright isekai that swapped out a male lead for a female one, made them an active character that wants things, without feeling like it got creepy anywhere. I might repeat what I said at the start of the series that it could have kept some things closer to its chest in regards to things like summoned bears. But never really got bad, or really amazing either.

My rating is Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time, and you probably would not go wrong with this series if you were looking for something like Endro.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of the new season just aired and it is more beary fun. They reintroduced the characters while dealing with the bee tree and setting up future events. It is still as sweet as the (egregious amount) of honey on their pancakes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2