Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2019


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 595
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
No Hensuki.

It seems that no one can appreciate good old-fashioned degenerate trash in the year two zero one nine

Was not expecting Chris to pick up Arifureta. Or Theron reviewing anything Fate related for that matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2441
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Suprised accelerator was picked, though those off-shot of off-shot wouldn't have many interested people. Same for granbelm, didn't think it would garner much attention. Also there were a lot fewer isekai picked up than usual, with every previous season having even the bottom of barrel one making the poll and getting picked up. Are we finally reaching peak Isekai or was that an editorial decision?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Assistant Editor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3720
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Suprised accelerator was picked, though those off-shot of off-shot wouldn't have many interested people. Same for granbelm, didn't think it would garner much attention. Also there were a lot fewer isekai picked up than usual, with every previous season having even the bottom of barrel one making the poll and getting picked up. Are we finally reaching peak Isekai or was that an editorial decision?


The assignments follow the results by popularity completely this season, which sadly excludes Given from the list. I really wanted that one to make it in, and I tried my best to make it work, but the longer the poll went on, the interest just wasn't there. Bummer. Sad

EDIT: Good news! Steve Jones has offered to make room in his schedule for Given, so we will be covering it weekly this season.


Last edited by JacobC on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 586
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also there were a lot fewer isekai picked up than usual, with every previous season having even the bottom of barrel one making the poll and getting picked up. Are we finally reaching peak Isekai or was that an editorial decision?


It's not uncommon for some Isekai series to fall out of Daily Streaming reviews when there's more than 1 in a season, especially when there's a significant gap in interest in them, and even more so when there's a season with a lot of hotly anticipated titles. Conception didn't get picked up last Fall, while The Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime did. Same with The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar vs How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord. With Demon Lord, Retry! and Isekai Cheat Magician lacking any hooks and not being based on already popular-in-the-west source material, it's not surprising they wouldn't make it.

What is surprising to me is Arifureta getting in, since the adaptation seemed to have royally miffed even its most dedicated LN fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2441
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
It's not uncommon for some Isekai series to fall out of Daily Streaming reviews when there's more than 1 in a season, especially when there's a significant gap in interest in them, and even more so when there's a season with a lot of hotly anticipated titles. Conception didn't get picked up last Fall, while The Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime did. Same with The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar vs How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord. With Demon Lord, Retry! and Isekai Cheat Magician lacking any hooks and not being based on already popular-in-the-west source material, it's not surprising they wouldn't make it.

What is surprising to me is Arifureta getting in, since the adaptation seemed to have royally miffed even its most dedicated LN fans.


Damn your right, I had forgotten how many there usually was. I was mostly thinking about stuff like the smartphone and ... hummmm the other one that I forgot but was picked up for daily review :vague gesture in direction of pile of Isekai:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 460
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Not having BEM on this list is criminal when you choose granbelm over it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ErikaD.D



Joined: 09 Jun 2019
Posts: 46
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm somehow surprised that isekai mom anime made it but not Given? That's a shame that there won't be Given reviews on ANN and it's probably underrated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toonces



Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Posts: 111
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised about any of these. The only one that sort of surprises me is Sacred Beasts, but I don't know if it has a lot of fans of the source material. I got the impression its premiere wasn't too well liked, but I might be wrong.

Whether it was genuine fans or those hoping for a train wreck, I knew Arifureta would get enough votes to get in.

I was hoping The Ones Within would squeeze through, but had a feeling it wouldn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VerQuality
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 01 Oct 2016
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I'm really happy that Cop Craft and Granbelm made it in, as I'm really enjoying them so far and was worried they might have slipped under the radar. Maidens in your savage season has been really good too, and although I'm probably going to wait to watch it until after I've gotten through the material in the manga, I'm glad I'll be able to come back to the weekly reviews at a later date.

On the other hand, it's downright criminal that Symphogear isn't being covered. Possibly my favourite anime of the last decade, and its treatment in North America has been nothing short of a mess. At least Crunchy is streaming XV as it airs this time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3530
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
On the other hand, it's downright criminal that Symphogear isn't being covered. Possibly my favourite anime of the last decade, and its treatment in North America has been nothing short of a mess. At least Crunchy is streaming XV as it airs this time.


Yeah, I had expected it to get covered myself, but I guess CR slowly dripping out the episodes of AXZ hampered it. That’s why I haven’t started XV, even though I voted for it. It will almost certainly be covered in other ways though, possibly more than one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 586
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
^Symphogear has never been particularly popular in the west,sadly. The wonky streaming history (Here's Season 1! Season 2 is fansubs only. Ok here's season 2, mid-way through season 3, which we're slowly getting to! And now S4 is back to fansubs, whoops. OK here's season 4 releasing while we also put out S5!) has hampered it a lot. The series has a core of very passionate (and loud) fans, myself among them, but I'm not shocked it didn't get picked up for DSR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scowler



Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
James is getting both Vinland Saga and Fire Force? Both of those, of course, had outstanding premieres.

I retract any and all Hand Shakers pity I may have had previously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kicksville



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 763
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Very glad to see Granbelm on here - it's been the nice surprise of the year. I was basically expecting to never see a 2D robot show that wasn't Gundam ever again, so to get something brand new, original, not based on anything, and as promising as it is to boot...well, that's great!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thespacemaster



Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 592
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping that demon lord retry might just be able to slip by but i guess it did not appeal to many especially with the low budget animation, oh well you win some and lose some.

I still encourage people to try it is charming even with the sub par animation.

But at least the majority of other titles i am seeing are being covered so i guess it is better than you can hope for Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3530
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
^Symphogear has never been particularly popular in the west,sadly. The wonky streaming history (Here's Season 1! Season 2 is fansubs only. Ok here's season 2, mid-way through season 3, which we're slowly getting to! And now S4 is back to fansubs, whoops. OK here's season 4 releasing while we also put out S5!) has hampered it a lot. The series has a core of very passionate (and loud) fans, myself among them, but I'm not shocked it didn't get picked up for DSR.


You say that but AXZ would have been covered weekly on this site if it had been legally available.

The relevant sentence:
Quote:
Nick Creamer will also cover Symphogear AXZ in the event that it is licensed for streaming, but it has not been announced at this time


In any case, I hope you will do your part to help rectify the situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group