• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mignogna's Civil Case Against Voice Actress Jamie Marchi Dismissed

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Now let's hope Monica Rial and Funimation get out of this mess, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
To sum up how bad this is, let's go over this...

1.) Vic will now have to pay for Jamie Marchi's legal expenses, he lost at the TCPA stage on the first day at a bench ruling.

2.) Tortious Interference claims have been dismissed for ALL the defendants.

3.) This means that even if Vic is successful in reaching a jury verdict on the defamation and conspiracy claims, he will not be able to collect money for damages because he cannot prove damages without the Tortious Interference.
catbot158

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Quick note to the editor: the paragraph "The defendant's motions argued that Mignogna is a public figure..." is repeated twice (the second one is 2nd paragraph down from the first version).
---
Can't say I'm surprised by the judge's decision. I suspect Monica and Funimation will be let off the hook as well. Does anyone have an estimate as to how much Mignogna will have to pay to the defendant and in fees in total? It's probably a high number.
I also heard that his lawyer could lose his license over this. It's all coming together now...
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Quick note to the editor: the paragraph "The defendant's motions argued that Mignogna is a public figure..." is repeated twice (the second one is 2nd paragraph down from the first version).
---
Can't say I'm surprised by the judge's decision. I suspect Monica and Funimation will be let off the hook as well. Does anyone have an estimate as to how much Mignogna will have to pay to the defendant and in fees in total? It's probably a high number.
I also heard that his lawyer could lose his license over this. It's all coming together now...

ball park estimate, take whatever the GFM account was and times it by 4.
DeceptiTom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I want to see the faces of those who sent money into that GFM when they realize all that money is going into Monica Rials pocket.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Since one of the cases for them got dismissed, I'd say they're going to be safe. Not that there was any doubt.
Dreeves95

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
play stupid games win stupid prizes

nice to see vic and his delusional fanbase get dunked on
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity can he get in trouble for not appearing in court depending on how a judge rules on those motions?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Finally something's going right with justice in the world.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Since one of the cases for them got dismissed, I'd say they're going to be safe. Not that there was any doubt.

They already successfully got dismissal on the tortious interference claims. The only thing that Monica and Ron will need their attorney to work for, is the defamation and civil conspiracy claims. I don't think Lemoine is going to screw around, drink and scream on youtube, or go to conventions and yuck it up for autographs with fans. He will be at work.

and the best part, even if they lose defamation and conspiracy, Vic cannot prove damages, he won't collect a single penny from the defendants who lose at a jury trial(if it ever gets that far).

Some might say "well, it was the GFM money, it wasn't Vic's to begin with."

Yes, and that will be taken into account when sanctions and fees are tallied up later for Jamie Marchi, AND for the dismissed tortious interference claims. Vic will likely suffer financially for this.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Expect to see another 5 page argument

Last edited by theNightster on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd be shocked if the judge rules in favor of Vic, considering the 'wonderful' job he and his lawyers have presented their case (Joe Pesci's Vinny could've done a better job than these jokers). Glad he decided to waste his time with this,since he's going be swamped in legal fees for this joke of a case Laughing
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Except to see another 5 page argument

Hey, look, the judge did exactly what we've been saying he'd do for the last eight months. It's almost like people here knew what they were talking about.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Except to see another 5 page argument

Hey, look, the judge did exactly what we've been saying he'd do for the last eight months. It's almost like people here knew what they were talking about.

if you're trying to tell me that all these Twitter lawyers knowing exactly what would happen is because "they know the law" rather than a decades-long conspiracy to get an anime dub actor fired, then buddy, I have a landlocked lot in Oklahoma to sell you
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
That's good to hear. Here's hoping now he can finally be held accountable for all that he's done. Marchi and Rial really need to catch a break, too. They've been through so much crap, both from him and the people accusing them of hurting their innocent VA. They deserve to heal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15