• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:11 am Reply with quote

Season 1: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun (TV)
Season 2: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun (TV 2)
Season 3: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun (TV 3)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 31 volumes, by Osamu Nishi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Bandai Namco Pictures

Genres: comedy, fantasy, supernatural

Themes: demons, school

Plot Summary: Ikoma is a kind-hearted 14-year-old boy whose parents sell him to demons for their own selfish interests. However, the demon he is sold to has no grandson of his own, so he dotes on Ikoma and sends him to demon school.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: October 5, 2019 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 2: April 17, 2021 (Saturday)

Season 3: October 8, 2022 (Saturday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 23 episodes
Season 2: 21 episodes
Season 3: 21 episodes

Total: 65 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Actually pretty good start. It reminds me of a bunch of different shows, like the unfortunate nature of going from bottom to kind of the top that you see in Hayate the Combat Butler, the setting of a demon school similar to Rosario Vampire, and the diverse cast of characters (including girl ED) of My Hero Academia. I might not have normally even found the grandfather demon lord character to be necessarily funny, but I would say it worked somehow. I think everything worked how somehow in the first episode he intimidated everyone with a shocking spell, and somehow won a duel.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I had a feeling that summoning a familiar had to be something kind of amazing, but also not go to plan. Up till Iruma started that I figured out the trick would be that he would accidentally force the teacher into being a familiar, which was very funny. Hilarious that Snape like teacher, with so much dignity, was turned into a cute form and could not defy him. And now an energetic and or chaotic girl introduced at the end.

I continue to think that I will like this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Okay, Clara is awesome. Even just small touches like her engrish, which actually sounds good, and lines like her saying that she was going to sneak chocolate eggs into sensei's pockets. And despite all the funny silliness, it also touched my heart in the story of how she apparently only knew how to have people be with her by giving them things, and how Iruma took a stand that she should not have to do those things.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Last week was a little taxing in places (I like Clara, but she can get on my nerves real quick), but it's back to form this week. She's good in small doses, like chewing on the big guy's tail, which he doesn't even notice. Interesting bit about Iruma's blood. Even so, he did a good job of communicating his intent.

Is the little bird the baby of the cave guardian, or its prey? It doesn't look much like a bird.

I think maybe the best twist in the episode was that you half expected Az to give Iruma a ride out of the "blood-pact" of friendship! or something (though I couldn't figure a plausible way for Iruma to ask) but instead it was Clara who hitched a ride. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is the little bird the baby of the cave guardian, or its prey? It doesn't look much like a bird.

Very likely not intentional, but they kind of make me think of Owlbears. Iruma's of it being super soft continuing so as the thought of a mix between feathers and fur.

Episode 5

With the name of the ring Iruma received having it be called The Ring of Solomon, makes me understand where things are going. Solomon presumably being a human that had demons forced under his control. At least I think that is supposed to be it, I also remember Solomon having control of genies in Magi, or I think the Noise in Symphogear.. So Iruma is totally set to become the demon lord.

Clara continued to have her moments in the episode, from throwing rocks at the last boys as saying they suck, doing a horrid lullaby that seems the ring actually likes, and acting high and mighty as if above Iruma after the rankings.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:43 am Reply with quote
I thought of it more as the Sorting Hat Owl. Smile

I'm not sure that's actually the Ring of Solomon though. Did Gramps just give it a new name to tone things down?

The cliched flashback was great. I also liked how Iruma talked Sabro into dropping his sword. Who could say no to that face?

That OP is one demonic earworm.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The cliched flashback was great.

I was like thinking it was getting a bit extreme, just as he revealed that none of it was true, and he only wants to do what he thinks is cool.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Some episode 6 observations.

I'm liking the strict, spin kicking no-nonsense student council president, who knows that humans are real, because she has her family's giant manga collection stashed at school. Because of course every magic school should have one of those. Very Happy She thinks they are books of magic, as, when a girl and boy spoiler[meet by colliding with each other,] that must be some kind of love spell humans use. She kinda has to guess, 'cause she can't read the Japanese. Reminds me of storys of people watching Dirty Pair raw in the '80s.

And she suspects Iruma is human, so guess how they meet.

She is my current favorite character for this season. Wink

I am also liking the rest of the show.

I can't help but wonder if there are any dōjinshi in there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I could swear I've seen that manga in another anime before. It looks more familiar than just its being generic romance manga. What was that series a couple of years ago where the girl crossed over into a manga toward the end and was sort of gradually erasing/rewriting the real world or something?

It's funny, I hadn't realized until this episode that the demons were that sheltered about the existence of the human realm.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote

"Can I charge in now?" Laughing The opening stalemate in the hallway was pretty funny too.

Poor Iruma. Never had the opportunity to even form dreams for himself.

When Azz was being amazzed at Iruma's "dedication" it's translated as "Splendid, Iruma-kun!" But what word is he using to indicate "splendid"? To my Krauser-trained ears it sounds like he says, "Satsugai Iruma-kun!" Is that his way of saying, "Killer Iruma!" or "You slay me!" or what? If I enter it as さつがい, Google translates it as "Happy," but if I use 殺害 it says, "Killing."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
Sabnock continues to surprise me at times, going along with Clara's craziness from calling him a mountain while climbing him, to challenge Iruma to do the same, and kind of being logical by telling Azz and Clara to just follow Iruma.

Clara's ridiculous glasses making her look like a... well a pig, totally not in a mean or really bad way. She also took time to say Azz's looked good on him.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
When Azz was being amazzed at Iruma's "dedication" it's translated as "Splendid, Iruma-kun!" But what word is he using to indicate "splendid"? To my Krauser-trained ears it sounds like he says, "Satsugai Iruma-kun!" Is that his way of saying, "Killer Iruma!" or "You slay me!" or what? If I enter it as さつがい, Google translates it as "Happy," but if I use 殺害 it says, "Killing."

He's not saying "satsugai", he's saying "sasuga" (さすが). It's that word that's frequently translated to the slightly awkward "as expected of". But this time they chose "splendid".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
Thank you. I figured it was me hearing it wrong (the running together with Iruma creating the "ai" phoneme to my ears, along with knowing the word "satsugai"), but I couldn't come up with an actual word to replace what my ignorant ears heard. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote

Well, the boy ranked up. I liked how Opera kept drinking Sullivan's tea. Also how Clara swapped places again. She's delightfully sneaky that way. Even just the brief misdirection of Sullivan getting darkly jealous at not getting thanked, making you expect a demonic temper tantrum, before he remembers that he didn't actually help.

I sure hope this gets another season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2