• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uchi Tama Anime's 2nd TV Ad Reveals Theme Song Artist, January 9 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Well. . .I was not expecting to see another Toma and Friends show, and certainly not one in which they are humans, but I am excited for this. Anime smile It's been so long since I have seen Toma and Friends when it aired on TV back when I was a child in the 90s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
When they first announced this, I was actually REALLY reluctant about this because I use to watch the original Tama and Friends anime when I was young (via video recordings my grandparents taped for and sent us via package before the internet existed). So my reaction went, 'Whhhyyy... would you ruin our childhood here....Really...??'

And while at Comiket, they had the promotional display for this show, and I was still hesitant to accept the 'humanized' version of them since I was still nostalgic for the original show and movie... (But, then I ended up taking a flier because Tama's design was kind of cute, and it's rare that you actually see designs of male Kemonomimi characters in anime at all so...).

...Now that I watched this, I'm still hesitant but can't help admit that it's cute as hell, and kind of can't wait to check this out? I hope the show is enjoyable as the CM shows here.
(Though I'm still not over Buru's design, because I imagined him being like, a chubby guy similar to Doraemon's Jaian or like big bodied-muscular or something... So his ikemen design here kind of threw me off).
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Zunda-mochi wrote:
I was still nostalgic for the original show and movie...

There was a movie?

Anyway given your comment, I take it you are slowly warming up this anime despite your reservations of the show's concept.

The idea of the characters appearing as humans do not bother personally despite also growing up with the anime. Given from the preview video I watch it looks like the story might be using a similar concept that was seen Keiko Nobumoto and Bones' Wolf's Rain or the one episode of Lerche's adaptation of Sakuya Amano Konoha Kitan titled "The Transient Guest". Both stories feature animal characters (both cases being of the Canidae family in particular) who appear human in certain situations or perspectives. I see it as potentially seeing a different take on the characters or something like that, which leads room for possibilities.

Also:

Quote:
I'm still not over Buru's design, because I imagined him being like, a chubby guy similar to Doraemon's Jaian or like big bodied-muscular or something... So his ikemen design here kind of threw me off

I had similar thought as well. I would had expected him to be this chubby, but muscular looking guy with a tough appearance if I was imagining him as a human, but instead we are getting, from what I describe him, as a thinner, chill looking dude. I am not as bother by this however, but it is quite odd indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There was a movie?

Yep, there was!

The article here at the bottom says, the anime film San-chōme no Tama: Onegai! Momo-chan o Sagashite!! in 1993, which was the movie I saw with my aunt (who passed away several years ago from cancer) when we went to Japan and it happened to be playing in theaters in that year. And I remember that movie because I thought I was only imagining it!
It's basically about Tama and some of his friends trying to find Momo because she got 'cat-napped' by some other cats during a vacation outing with her owner. (Unfortunately, because I couldn't understand Japanese at the time, I didn't know what was happening, and wish I could rewatch it now that my Japanese is 10 times better...).

I mean, with so many recent remakes and how most of them don't live up to their potential (ie Sailor Moon), the new Tama anime going the gijinka look felt like an odd choice to go through to celebrate the franchise for me since I'm just use to them being well... cats and dogs. Even though it is kind of a fresh way to approach the franchise.
And yeah, slowly warming up since that's usually my first reaction is extreme doubt, followed by getting curious, then watching it (and possibly loving it to death if my attention span sticks...and getting merchandise of it if I REALLY like it...).

On Buru again, but I realized that he is also like... technically the 'neighborhood bully' in the series since he chases Tama and his friends around but is sweet to Momo. So I'm kind of wondering how they are going to pull that and his characterization off, considering Buru is suppose to be this scary-looking (bull)dog and they made him like that...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1