• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Hell Girl Film's Video Compares Film Scenes With Their Anime Counterparts

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
...huh
I don't know about anyone else but I don't think Ai's expression is captured in the same way as the anime.
In the anime she has this sort of effortless doll-like expression which really captures her lack of emotions and really sells her character as an impartial party.
The live-action version seems like she's 'trying' to seem disinterested which in itself is effort and that shows. I think that was a poor choice because people familiar with the anime (and manga) will notice the difference, someone with no prior knowledge likely wouldn't notice this.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote
Looks like she's trying too hard to be "bad ass" or something. Especially that head tilt. Sorry, but Mamiko Noto wins the iconic line too. Part of what makes it so good is how "cute" she sounds when Mamiko says it. The live action actress just sounds mean lol. Looks like it will be faithful at least, so that's good.
The Hollow Shrine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19 am Reply with quote
It's not just Ai. Every cast member emits a very different vibe than what they're supposed to. I'm glad the franchise is gonna make some money off of this, but if we could have a fifth season, I'd very much rather that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1