• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Taeko Watanabe's Kaze Hikaru Shinsengumi Manga Ends in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Wait, this thing was still ongoing? Wow, I remember reading the first volume like ten years ago.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Yep this is still going and finally will end in May of next year and hopefully Viz will speed up the release of it then
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt Viz will speed up the release for Kaze Hikaru, and (honestly) fans of the manga should count their stars that Viz has continued releasing it, alongside fans of something like Hayate the Combat Butler & Detective Conan/Case Closed. I completely forgot that Hikaru & Hayate are still coming out until I saw this news, and it just reminded me that Viz canceled the release of something like Bastard!!, which got canceled in 2010 & only had 8 volumes left to release before catching up with Japan, while these two series, which are both still just below 20 volumes from catching/finishing up, are still seeing releases nearly a decade later, even if they only see literally a volume or two a year.

At this point, I say that fans should just continue supporting those series like they are, and they will be rewarded with their finales, even if it takes literal years, if not a decade, to finally happen. You guys have someone over at Viz supporting you, apparently.
Tenbinzan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Small correction: Kaze Hikaru began serialization in Betsucomi in 1997, and only moved to Flowers after Betsucomi rebranded itself in 2002 (Flowers didn't exist before then). You can find it listed all over Betsucomi's old website, as far back as the Wayback Machine will let you go. Plus, Yahoo! Japan recently put together a chronology of all of Betsucomi's manga series for the magazine's 50th anniversary, with Kaze Hikaru listed in the '90s section. Wink
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I thought it already ended ages ago!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing this manga pop up occasionally, and now I'm interested in checking it out. Glad to see it's finally going to end!
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow so it's finally ending. I really enjoy the series and wish Viz would speed up the releases. It'd be nice if it could get an anime adaption.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
@Lord Geo

I've always assumed that Viz must have some sort of contractual obligation to keep publishing some of their super low sellers, like Kaze Hikaru. They were forced to finish publishing Firefighter Daigo, one of their worst-selling titles ever (no dig at the quality of the title itself though, which is top-notch and a top 10 series for me). Odds are that Kaze Hikaru has something similar going on, where they're forced to publish at least one volume a year, because the sales certainly cannot justify it, so it's gotta be some secret legal thing they can't talk about. In this case, it's possible that speeding up the release or going to omnibuses would finish the contract sooner and get them out of it. However, it's also possible that they just have to publish at least 1 volume for X number of years and not actually complete it, but I doubt we'll know which one it is either way until a sudden announcement, they're likely to be secretive on that sort of thing. Right now though, vol 28 is scheduled for its regular slot in August 2020.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1