• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Asteroid in Love (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote

Asteroid in Love (TV)

Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, School
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Mira is a girl who dream of joining the astronomy club once she got into high school, after meeting a man and promising to discover new asteroids when she was younger. But the high school she got into had abolished its astronomy club the year before she enrolled, and it has now been combined with the earth sciences club.
(from manga)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anime adaptation of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

What is the chances that the hints of yuri in this will ever mean anything? *sigh*

Well it was cute at least, The very slow side step as one example.
BSW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
As a rule of thumb, the yuri will never go anywhere in these titles, it will just be there for some subtext.
So far there was zero humor in the show (I can only think of the aforementioned side-step scene as the single time it tried to be funny, and then again it felt out of character- and place), the animation was okay, but the art style is poor, sterile and bland, the girls unattractive, and the club is cringeful to watch with its divided state.
I really hope they will change the boring night sky imagery, because so far it doesn't do the premise justice, and nothing else seems to be able to carry it.
Not that I expected much of a "CGDCT" show in today's industry...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well, they did not manage to find an asteroid yet, but maybe the real asteroid were the memories they made along the way. Just wanted to say something really cheesy. I give props to the show in how it avoided ending at just the graduation of the seniors, that it went a bit further for a few more episodes by introducing new members from the new year, and even went to the asteroid seeking camp that had been mentioned earlier in the show for the previous year, which brought in a couple other transient characters. This was a cute girls do cute things anime, but I did actually like that it avoided some pitfalls by introducing even change in the show, where character graduated. One even drastically changed her hairstyle after presumably being turned down after confessing.

With that a new paragraph on yuri, or lesbian characters. This show certainly had some undertones going on, like you would have to blind to not catch that Moe was a lesbian, a bit eager at that, but a bit disappointing that we did not get to see her confession, like a lack of guts. Similarly as pretty much expected nothing comes from the kind of obvious yuri bait of Mira and Ao, maybe even more bait from the fact they start living together, just too much deniability that they are just good friends. Nothing really enough to say there it yuri here.

But I think the show has other elements that are interesting over other similar cute girls doing cute things anime, as it is actually a quite grounded show, that forgoes some mindless cuteness to focus on these topics that the girls are interested in. Even the character was closest to the cute stereotype, Inose, who happened to be my favourite, grew interesting with reveal of her own interests that happened to be different from everyone else, maps, interesting with her passion. Along with how she had to grow into the position of club president, which should be obvious, but clearly required a bit of her character to grow into a leadership role.

Anyway, I have been finishing a lot of shows in the last few days and giving them these mini reviews, and it is kind of exhausting, so I will give my rating of Asteroid in Love. I give a rating of Good (7/10), it does not really blow anything out of the water in terms of this genre, but does enough interesting and different parts that I think it is worth watching for someone who might fear that the cute girls doing cute things while in a school club is becoming a bit stale.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:13 am Reply with quote
I think that one of the best things that I loved about both this show and Science Fell in Love, So I tried to Prove It is the fact that they featured young women studying in various fields of science.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1