Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2020 Video Game Hall of Fame Reveals Nominees




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zunderdog24



Joined: 08 Jun 2014
Posts: 279
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Im looking at either smash or minecraft winning.
Runner-ups being golden eye and bejewled.
3rd place is uncharted; guitar hero and snake.
The rest?.... doesnt matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hinotoumei



Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
smash bros melee did not come out in 1991..This is obviously a typo and should be fixed.
These nominations make perfect sense though. All of these games had huge impacts in culture and gaming at the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3733
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'd have thought Goldeneye would already be there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
R. Kasahara
Collector ExtraordinaireCollector Extraordinaire


Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 271
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
smash bros melee did not come out in 1991..This is obviously a typo and should be fixed.
These nominations make perfect sense though. All of these games had huge impacts in culture and gaming at the time.

You might want to let the Strong know as well, since 1991 is the date listed on their site.

And agreed about the noms; it's a very strong slate (uh, no pun intended). I'm gonna have trouble deciding what to vote for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stampeed Valkyrie



Joined: 10 Aug 2014
Posts: 659
Location: PA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
lol @ Nokia Snake.. many many many hours spent idling away on the corp phone in between doing 3rd Shift Data Center work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tripple-A



Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 197
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Uncharted? Are you kidding me? Not saying that it's a bad game but even nominating it for any kind of hall of fame makes me question the legitimacy of this board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hinotoumei



Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Uncharted? Are you kidding me? Not saying that it's a bad game but even nominating it for any kind of hall of fame makes me question the legitimacy of this board.


uncharted 2. It deserves to be on there. disagreeing with this statement only proves you are not educated to make said opinion in the first place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tripple-A



Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 197
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
Tripple-A wrote:
Uncharted? Are you kidding me? Not saying that it's a bad game but even nominating it for any kind of hall of fame makes me question the legitimacy of this board.


uncharted 2. It deserves to be on there. disagreeing with this statement only proves you are not educated to make said opinion in the first place.


We're not talking about some lame ass game of the year award but a hall of fame and if a game with that low of an impact, uniqueness and innovation gets nominated, every third game would deserve a nomination.
Again I'm not saying Uncharted is bad, especially not the 2nd one and I quite liked it but it's still not a game I come back to, or talk much about.
I don't know the last game, but every other nominated one would deserve it much more and I'm pretty sure dozens of other games (I don't know which games are already in that hall of fame) too. It actually baffles me that Minecraft isn't already in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hinotoumei



Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Hinotoumei wrote:
Tripple-A wrote:
Uncharted? Are you kidding me? Not saying that it's a bad game but even nominating it for any kind of hall of fame makes me question the legitimacy of this board.


uncharted 2. It deserves to be on there. disagreeing with this statement only proves you are not educated to make said opinion in the first place.


We're not talking about some lame ass game of the year award but a hall of fame and if a game with that low of an impact, uniqueness and innovation gets nominated, every third game would deserve a nomination.
Again I'm not saying Uncharted is bad, especially not the 2nd one and I quite liked it but it's still not a game I come back to, or talk much about.
I don't know the last game, but every other nominated one would deserve it much more and I'm pretty sure dozens of other games (I don't know which games are already in that hall of fame) too. It actually baffles me that Minecraft isn't already in it.


Think in terms of what it represented at the time of it's release, not today. That is what makes it get into the hall of fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Uncharted_2:_Among_Thieves

read that..tha's why it's there. and it deserves it, arguably more than any of the other nominated games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group