• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2020 Video Game Hall of Fame Reveals Nominees

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Im looking at either smash or minecraft winning.
Runner-ups being golden eye and bejewled.
3rd place is uncharted; guitar hero and snake.
The rest?.... doesnt matter.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
smash bros melee did not come out in 1991..This is obviously a typo and should be fixed.
These nominations make perfect sense though. All of these games had huge impacts in culture and gaming at the time.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'd have thought Goldeneye would already be there.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
smash bros melee did not come out in 1991..This is obviously a typo and should be fixed.
These nominations make perfect sense though. All of these games had huge impacts in culture and gaming at the time.

You might want to let the Strong know as well, since 1991 is the date listed on their site.

And agreed about the noms; it's a very strong slate (uh, no pun intended). I'm gonna have trouble deciding what to vote for.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
lol @ Nokia Snake.. many many many hours spent idling away on the corp phone in between doing 3rd Shift Data Center work.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Uncharted? Are you kidding me? Not saying that it's a bad game but even nominating it for any kind of hall of fame makes me question the legitimacy of this board.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Uncharted? Are you kidding me? Not saying that it's a bad game but even nominating it for any kind of hall of fame makes me question the legitimacy of this board.

uncharted 2. It deserves to be on there. disagreeing with this statement only proves you are not educated to make said opinion in the first place.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
Tripple-A wrote:

uncharted 2. It deserves to be on there. disagreeing with this statement only proves you are not educated to make said opinion in the first place.

We're not talking about some lame ass game of the year award but a hall of fame and if a game with that low of an impact, uniqueness and innovation gets nominated, every third game would deserve a nomination.
Again I'm not saying Uncharted is bad, especially not the 2nd one and I quite liked it but it's still not a game I come back to, or talk much about.
I don't know the last game, but every other nominated one would deserve it much more and I'm pretty sure dozens of other games (I don't know which games are already in that hall of fame) too. It actually baffles me that Minecraft isn't already in it.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Hinotoumei wrote:
Tripple-A wrote:

We're not talking about some lame ass game of the year award but a hall of fame and if a game with that low of an impact, uniqueness and innovation gets nominated, every third game would deserve a nomination.
Again I'm not saying Uncharted is bad, especially not the 2nd one and I quite liked it but it's still not a game I come back to, or talk much about.
I don't know the last game, but every other nominated one would deserve it much more and I'm pretty sure dozens of other games (I don't know which games are already in that hall of fame) too. It actually baffles me that Minecraft isn't already in it.

Think in terms of what it represented at the time of it's release, not today. That is what makes it get into the hall of fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Uncharted_2:_Among_Thieves

read that..tha's why it's there. and it deserves it, arguably more than any of the other nominated games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1