• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gibiate (TV)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:52 am Reply with quote

Gibiate (TV)

Plot Summary: The Year is 2030 Japan. A virus outbreak has covered the earth. Once infected, patients become monsters and change their form depending on age, sex and nationality. The virus is called “Gibier”. An Edo era time traveling samurai and shinobi appear in the post apocalyptic ruins. Helping a doctor who has dedicated his career for researching the cure for “Gibier”, hordes of Gibier come after them along with outlaws searching for food - everywhere they turn, danger is upon them.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:59 am Reply with quote
#1-#2

By coincidence or design, this series has aired as the world reels under the latest pandemic. Fortunately the disease we live with now doesn't spawn monsters, so we're much better off than the unfortunate survivors not yet infected.

The story isn't the most original, but I'm sticking with this for the action. The series goes out of its way to save as much budget from all corners as possible so that all of the visual goodies are presented in the action set-pieces.

The pilot episode sets the scene while episode #2 introduces Kanzaki Sensui in more detail. He's unusual as he's learnt swordsmanship from a Portuguese/Dutch/European warrior in an age when gunpowder begins to render melee combat obsolete outside of Japan. Animation from the OP hints he can dual-wield a Katana with a European broadsword. Besides his unusual martial background, he's still a stereotype of the loyal samurai so far. The Shinobi Sanada Kenroku is more interesting, but he'll have to wait his turn as the next episode indicates it's the third time travelling warrior who must make his bow first.

It's an original series, so anything goes as to what the final product will be. Going by the official website (available also in English and Chinese), it looks like it's not just about the time travellers hacking Gibiate into tiny pieces.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
.After two episodes, I don't think that I will be continuing. Like the whole setup of a samurai coming from the past, characters are too quick to just accept it. I don't think some sort of rule of cool awareness bit accepts that Samurai guy just agrees to have random belts on his arms with no purpose or history, and ninja somehow got his hair dyed without his permission. Ninja also understanding what grenades are and how they work, just saying that he liked Western stuff. And adding the awful animation in that at least in the second episode was becoming more clear, like how the monsters don't really match the people.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote
I am fully cognizant of this titles flaws in the writing and production values departments, but for some reason I'm digging it. The whole Maede-san bringing the sword then dying was handled hamfisted as hell... complete with image of Maede-san in the sky after his death... yet, it still kind of gave me the feels. Kathleen can go from challenging Sensui to a kendo match to dying Shinobu's hair blue in an eye blink, which is goofy, but makes me chuckle. I feel for Kathleen's mom... her poor mind is obvously broken. She can't even recognize a Gibia when she sees one, "Are you here for more information on the Edo period?" Oi. This all shouldn't be working for me, but it is.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote

After watching this episode, I get the impression the show isn't going to be too flashy as far as the action scenes are concerned. I thought the battle scene last week was much better, what I did get from this adaptation was a distinct sense of watching a Kabuki play or old-fashioned samurai movie with the vibe given by the action on display.

Sanada Kenroku gets the spotlight this week. He has it rough; not only does he hate his new surroundings he's having to play second fiddle to Sensui even though Sensui without a sword isn't a match for him in combat. He certainly has the knack of figuring out modern technology quickly; must be instinct and natural curiosity on his part.

Having a warrior monk (and one of the Honganji warriors who fought and died against Oda Nobunaga's army no less!) in their ranks certainly helps. He's really strong if he can haul a helicopter away from a monster's grasp. I wonder where he'll get his signature weapon depicted in the OP though; those are much rarer than swords in the modern age. Perhaps they'll pass a museum?

Now the party has a Goal to work towards. Niigata is really far from Tokyo, so if they're doing it on foot it's certainly suicide. In this post-apocalyptic world they'll have to rely on vehicular transport and whatever extant petrol stations there remain on the way. The journey itself should be interesting, since the "countryside" they speak of is the same thing mentioned by that rough looking party at the start of last week's episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote

I was wondering how the time travelling warriors get their weapons back as shown in the OP. Conveniently enough, the building they are temporarily ransacking had a weapons exhibition of the Warring States Period and all of their kit was on display. Despite several hundred years of standing idle, they still work as their masters intended.

Not much this week with Brian leaving the stage for good and everyone else having to evacuate Tokyo with a camper van. A good excuse to show what the three of them are capable of with their preferred armaments.

Rest of the episode is devoted to telling the background story of Kenroku and Sensui. After last week's episode, this one really rams home the intention of recreating a period Kabuki drama in the anime medium. Sensui might owe his liege a debt of honour for adoption, but his master really wasn't much as a politician or strategist. No wonder he ended up being forced to disembowel himself after excessive dithering.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sensui has a problem with the virus after some of the blood ended up on his skin during his rampage this episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote

The warrior monk Onizuka is (in this tale at least) one of the survivors of Nobunaga's slaughter at Ise-Nagashima. If he's one of the Jodou Shinshu warriors, then he's definitely capable of taking on monsters in the modern world. Curious how he's keen on the mundane world in the same way the Shinto priests are in today's society, usually if one took monastic orders that was it as far as a family life was concerned.

At the rate they're losing people, they'll have no one left by the end of the tale. Adam was a goner anyway after getting stabbed, so he used what time he had left to give the others an escape route.

The escaped prisoners are going to feature later on, but in what capacity? Any one of the time travellers could smack them silly, but they're focusing on Sensui for now.

Way back in episode 1, Kathleen was making a video of herself to leave a material legacy behind. Perhaps it's because she's stabbed here and is running out of time for a cure? Either way, they find a way out of the tunnel but not necesarily unscathed.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote

The ex-cop Ayame saves Kathleen, and this is enough for the trio of time travellers to clean up. Not sure why the Yakuza head is tailing them, but it's surprising his daughter turns out to be Ayame. Not sure how this is going to develop going down the line.

More of the episode is spent on developing Kathleen and Sensui's backgrounds then advancing the plot in the main timeline. The latter gives another Warring States history lesson; of course Sensui would be from Kyuushu and taught by a foreign warrior. The only clan which fully embraced the Christian missionaries and technology was the Otomo, so Halbert most likely came with the Portuguese or the Dutch. Probably suffered from one of those chronic incurable diseases, but taught Sensui enough European techniques for him to become the country's most unusual dual-wielding samurai.

Ayame looks like she's wielding sharpened stakes like Tonfas. She's good with firearms as well, so interesting to see how she would fare if she faces her father's group.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote

Most of the episode is on the set piece with the Meteora Gibia and its conclusion. Animation style certainly could be better, but I'm used to it since that's the direction taken for this series. Not sure if Ayame's father is going to repay the favour for being saved, depends on what kind of Yakuza he is.

It's unfortunate for Kathleen's mother she's been stabbed in the foot. Not sure how that lizard got away, but Ayame not finishing it off means Kathleen is going to be orphaned since the vaccine won't be finished in time. That probably explains next week's episode title.

Ayame was actually lying about her mother's fate. Nothing worse than having to kill your own parent because she's turned into a monster. Unsurprisingly she isn't going to tell anyone what really happened, since her version is half true anyway. Either way, her background means she's going to pulling some weight instead of being a passenger especially as Sensui has overworked himself again.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote

Unsurprisingly, Yurika has no luck as far as a blank is concerned. Still, she knew what was coming and had the time to write a farewell letter to her daughter. Hope isn't completely lost though, if the doctor does succeed in making a vaccine she could still be reunited with her daughter.

It's really weird for Kathleen to give Yukinojou a charm which is meant for passing exams, but I suppose it's the thought that counts. With Sensui out of commission for now (it doesn't look he's going to transform into a Gibia either), it falls to Yukinojo to hold the fort until Kenroku and Ayame return. If Yukinojo doesn't make it through the night, he'll fulfil what his old comrade said prior to the time travel.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
I certainly hope Mom isn't permanently Gibia. I like her and she's kind of hot. It's a bit distracting that both Hatonomi (ex-cop, yakuza boss daughter) and Kenroku both basically have the same hair style, albeit different colour.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:54 am Reply with quote

Well, the start of the episode leaves no doubt that turning into Gibia is usually a death sentence. Yukinojou does his best Benkei impression, but at least he fell as a human. It looks like the one who dealt the fatal blow was Yurika, since she turned recently and didn't have the spores required to transform others.

The rest of the party is down one member who can fight, but they're almost at their goal. If the professor can finish the vaccine with what he can find at the lab, then there's light for them at the end of the long tunnel. Sooner or later they need to join forces with the Yakuza group, since neither will survive if they continue their separate ways and won't cooperate.

More backstory for Kenroku. So that's why he has such a beautiful wife and why he's so fond of Kathleen. He's also ludicrously talented; that's at least three weapon types he can handle proficiently.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote

It took them a while, but they've finally made it to the research centre where everything now rests on quickly the professor can finish his vaccine. There's the customary Gibia bloodbath in the beginning for more samples; as expected the Yakuza group lent a hand to make up for the monk's absence.

The professor hasn't actually had much time in the spotlight; most of the time he's driving the car or telling the others what has to be done. If memory serves me correctly, he's also the only person who hasn't been interviewed yet. I reckon he's got more to him than meets the eye though.

Just one last thing to take care of: the freak Gibia which has been stalking the main group ever since they tried to escape my helicopter. Unless they actually find a way to kill it, this series doesn't look like it'll end conclusively just yet.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote

It's all coming together now. With next week's episode title and the very first scene at the start of the series, I think I can see how this is going to end up.

The Meteora stalking the group since early on in the series had a secret; this week viewers find out what it is. Unfortunately for the group, that was one Gibia they had to stall rather than kill. With over half of the fighting members gone, it's now 3+1 vs. the final boss.

I always thought it was weird the professor was always able to stay out of trouble. At least with this revelation there's something to justify his ability to stay alive despite being proficient with just a handgun.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
Aw, I was bummed to see Yakuza Daughter get zapped. Kind of cheesy of the Professor to get PO'd about the group killing off his squeeze weasel when they had no way of knowing her back story. So anyway, we know now the origin of the Gibia plague, but I wonder if the show will explain its other great mystery: how a samurai, a ninja and a monk walked into a bar, er, I mean time travelled from feudal Japan to the janky present?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2