• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Day I Became a God - Beginning of the Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote
Oh? I can really watch the teaser? U SUUUUUURE about that? I live in the US and its blocked in my country :P Anyway, just hope this anime gets a dub sooner than later, seen all of Key's anime now and can't wait for this :)
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
This old tweet from 10th May 2020 has a video about "The Day I Became a God" anime: https://twitter.com/Shiga_0517/status/1259426274587508736
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, they're gonna release the real first trailer on the 25th. https://twitter.com/kamisama_Ch_AB/status/1285887746091782145

Also they'll reveal some more of the main cast.

Pre-scoring sounds like it should become the norm. But creating anime well ahead of time also should be the norm but we know that won't happen
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, I'm really interested in hearing more about pre-scoring. It's standard for American animation, but I only know of a few anime that do it -- Ufotable's works (per Kana Ueda), at least some of Kou Matsuo's shows, and most famously Akira. I'd like to know about more titles that have done so, and what effects can be seen in the finished product. (Possible pitch for a Canipa Effect episode?)
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
1. Angel Beats was good and ripe for a media franchise. They really shat and abandoned that bed though. I don't know what went wrong, they had the fans and financial backing to make something great happen. As it is now, you have a loosely hanging anime and vaporware visual novel series.

2. To this day, I would love to know what happened with Charlotte's production or Maeda for it to turn out the way it did. You know, like Fruits Basket 2001.

3. D-Did Key forget Summer Pockets? It is strange considering them going so ham on anime adaptations up to things ill suited for the medium like Rewrite.

Overall, it's been shaky. I don't know who Key's lead visual artist is since Little Busters but I like their art and the key visual for this is very alluring. But expectations are held neutral.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Ooh, I'm really interested in hearing more about pre-scoring. It's standard for American animation, but I only know of a few anime that do it -- Ufotable's works (per Kana Ueda), at least some of Kou Matsuo's shows, and most famously Akira. I'd like to know about more titles that have done so, and what effects can be seen in the finished product. (Possible pitch for a Canipa Effect episode?)

Cartoon Cipher did an episode on it once. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn0kbCrWUCU
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Cartoon Cipher did an episode on it once. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn0kbCrWUCU

And I have a new top priority for my YouTube to-watch list. Thanks!
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
1. Angel Beats was good and ripe for a media franchise. They really shat and abandoned that bed though. I don't know what went wrong, they had the fans and financial backing to make something great happen. As it is now, you have a loosely hanging anime and vaporware visual novel series.

2. To this day, I would love to know what happened with Charlotte's production or Maeda for it to turn out the way it did. You know, like Fruits Basket 2001.

3. D-Did Key forget Summer Pockets? It is strange considering them going so ham on anime adaptations up to things ill suited for the medium like Rewrite.

Overall, it's been shaky. I don't know who Key's lead visual artist is since Little Busters but I like their art and the key visual for this is very alluring. But expectations are held neutral.

1. Nobody knows what's going on with Angel Beats. There are a lot of theories of what happened like First Beat not selling well. Angel Beats as a whole continued in with manga continuations and merchandise. Oddly the English translation of the visual novel was quoted at 50% in 2016 but nothing since. A fan patch now exists, however. Another theory is this happened around the time Meada had health conditions so not sure what's up.

2. He had too many ideas. It wasn't even like Fruits Basket 2001 where it covered only part it. Charlotte was just too many things at once.

3. Reflection Blue just came out last month so they would likely wait. They have a lot of other projects to announce on top of everything else. Behind the scenes, they are making Kud Wafter movie, another visual novel, a game, and this anime. They like to space things out. So I think after Kud Wafter is released I hope we get Summer Pockets, but I'd like Tomoyo After first.

Not sure what you mean with shaky or just the anime ventures? The lead artist for Key is now Na-Ga, before it was Hinoue Itaru and she left a few years ago (more creative freedom). Na-Ga first worked on character designs on Little Busters with Itaru. He worked solely on Angel Beats, Charlotte, and worked on a few designs in Summer Pockets.

I'm also not sure what to expect. I have high hopes. I feel Jun has large ideas that don't mesh in anime form since time is shorter in an anime. So there is little room to expand on all areas. So I'm hoping his has a limited cast and ideas.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oddly the English translation of the visual novel was quoted at 50% in 2016 but nothing since. A fan patch now exists, however. Another theory is this happened around the time Meada had health conditions so not sure what's up.

I'd be interested to know if the fan patch actually exists. I hear frequently it does, but I have never been able to nail it down.

And now I stand corrected apparently its not vapor ware was completed 5/2020.

Last edited by Stampeed Valkyrie on Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:25 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
1. Nobody knows what's going on with Angel Beats. There are a lot of theories of what happened like First Beat not selling well. Angel Beats as a whole continued in with manga continuations and merchandise. Oddly the English translation of the visual novel was quoted at 50% in 2016 but nothing since. A fan patch now exists, however. Another theory is this happened around the time Meada had health conditions so not sure what's up.

And then there was the Angel Beats! Heaven's Door manga that Seven Seas put out one volume of, then delayed the later volumes for months, and then years, and then quietly dropped the whole thing. I asked at their AX 2018 booth what happened, and they said they couldn't say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1