• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hello Kitty Appointed Copyright PR Ambassador

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Interesting stuff. And speaking of Sanrio, whatever happened to that Jewelpet movie that was set to cross over with NG Night Ramune & 40? It just disappeared after that indefinite delay. Maybe they're preparing it for a Netflix release due to COVID-19.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
There"s something hilariously on-the-nose about Sanrio, the company that has historically sicked their legal goons on nearly every manner of coterie fan craft in the same zip code as their IP, providing the mascot for new, increasingly draconian copyright enforcement! Just give Hello Kitty a nightstick so everyone can know what to expect, Sanrio! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
There"s something hilariously on-the-nose about Sanrio, the company that has historically sicked their legal goons on nearly every manner of coterie fan craft in the same zip code as their IP, providing the mascot for new, increasingly draconian copyright enforcement! Just give Hello Kitty a nightstick so everyone can know what to expect, Sanrio! Laughing

I think a combination minigun/flamethrower might be more realistic. Or maybe a Hello Kitty-styled Gundam.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I think the irony with using hello kitty is that it was basically legally stolen from the creator only to make Sanrio billions.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Sad that they're basically making Kitty-chan a cop Sad But I am curious to see the educational materials should they upload them on youtube.
DeceptiTom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm on the fence with this.

On One Hand, Artists and Authors need to get paid.

On the other Hand, a lot of manga works aren't released in the US and Scanilation's of pirated Manga accomplish this.

Back on the first hand, Many of these manga's do get translated and released in the US and people should buy them.

But back on the second hand, many discover new manga's through scanilation's and piracy and go out and actively purchase the series's, and merchandise. Myself included. There's a ton of Manga that I have read via Scanilation's that I became a giant fan of, and started purchasing everything. I can name a few dozen. but there's also times when I have gone out to a book store, bought some Manga that I've never seen with little knowledge of the product. Only to turn around and start reading the scanilations because I cant wait for the publishing, but also still buying the physical media to support the authors, artists, to have a hard copy and appease my own collection habits.

Authors and Artists need to get paid, but Piracy broadens the fanbase and breaks many boundries.
crimsondevil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 am Reply with quote
I

#895229 wrote:
But back on the second hand, many discover new manga's through scanilation's and piracy and go out and actively purchase the series's, and merchandise. Myself included. There's a ton of Manga that I have read via Scanilation's that I became a giant fan of, and started purchasing everything. I can name a few dozen. but there's also times when I have gone out to a book store, bought some Manga that I've never seen with little knowledge of the product. Only to turn around and start reading the scanilations because I cant wait for the publishing, but also still buying the physical media to support the authors, artists, to have a hard copy and appease my own collection habits.

I agree with you, anime and manga pirater mostly goes out and buy the work of the author or help them however they can. In my opinion, this is a bad move by the japan government and the repercussion is going to huge as smaller artist doesn't have any way to bring their work internationally and as One Piece and AoT is nearing it end, japan doing this is just killing there own manga and anime industry.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Kitty has already partnered up with the cop character in Bakabon. See animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5120516#5120516
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1