• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moriarty the Patriot (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:09 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Moriarty the Patriot (TV)
Season 2 - Moriarty the Patriot (TV 2)

Genres: drama, mystery
Themes: crime, detective, historical

Plot Summary: James Moriarty is an orphan who assumes the name William James Moriarty when he and his younger brother are adopted into the Moriarty family. As a young man, he seeks to remove the ills caused by England's strict class system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote
1:

Ah okay, I see.

Moriarty. Sherlock Holmes' arch-nemesis. The prime example of a Lawful Evil. And... bishie? Yeah, and the show's not being subtle about it: every main character here is bishie so you know the kind of audience it's probably pandering to. Not like I have a problem with that; I just went "whatever".

This is the prequel to the iconic villain at a more ripe old age, so we're seeing how he came to be. But more importantly, this is going to be Moriarty's show, not Sherlock's. The villain is the antagonist here, not the hero. Like Joaquin Phoenix in Joker. And a twist: he's portrayed as the Anti-Hero. Maybe down the road, he will prove to be a whole bag of tropes: Sympathetic Villain (very probable). Evil is Sexy (apparently). The Sociopath (definitely). Soft-Spoken Sadist (apparently).

I thought the whole mystery-solving was underwhelming. Maybe I'm being a little unfair—it's just episode one—so it's starting off with something easy. But this is Moriarty we're talking here. The OG criminal genius mastermind. I have to expect more; something as mentally provoking as say, In/Spectre or Blast from Tempest. If not, then I have nothing else but to be more cynical and say this is just fodder for bishie fans. You know, another Black Butler. Give me something to look forward to, as a not-bishie-fan.

I'm not too hyped about this show. But hey, at least it's Production I.G so production values aren't a concern here.
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was basically an Anime filler, more of a pilot to draw people in and it worked.

Episode 2 and 3 are based on the first chapters of the manga (though some liberties were taken) and so far it's a must watch anime in my view, then again I'm really into Sherlock Holmes media.

However I feel this anime might end up being more of a sleeper hit, it will get a healthy fanbase but not the big hit like Jujutsu Kaisen or Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:52 am Reply with quote
I've dropped the show, if anyone's wondering. Not because this show's terribad; I just have too much on my plate this season. I can go without this show.
BBally

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
I've dropped the show, if anyone's wondering. Not because this show's terribad; I just have too much on my plate this season. I can go without this show.

Eh, fair enough, I'm still watching because the manga is really good and I think the anime is good so far, it's one of the few current anime and manga I'm interested in, I just tired of the usual action Shonen fair that tends to get the most attention.
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Next episode however is going to be an adaptation of a chapter from the manga and features the debut of the manga's incarnation of Sebastian Moran who was part of Moriarty's organization and the main antagonist from Conan Doyle's "The Adventure of the Empty House", the first of 13 stories in the Return of Sherlock Holmes collection, which takes place after "The Final Problem" as well as Fred Porlock, a minor character in the Sherlock Holmes lore who was a petty criminal working for Moriarty and who Sherlock Holmes once likened to a remora, of no real significance himself, but dancing constant attendance on the great 'shark', James Moriarty.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1-4

Interesting take, so far. They're basically painting Moriarty to be a kind of anti-hero. He's super observant and calculating like Sherlock, only his goal is to find the culprit of whatever heinous acts and also kill them. I'm curious where the story will go once they actually introduce Sherlock, since Moriarty has historically been adapted as just an outright villain. I'm getting some Dexter and Death Note vibes here, though he seems way less volatile than Dexter and not as egotistical as Light.

I think I read a Sherlock novel once, decades ago, and the rest of my knowledge of the character and lore just comes from the Guy Ritchie movies and Cumberbatch TV series, so I'm just gonna' treat this like a clean slate and see where it goes.

The fact that Production I.G. is animating this, however, does give me some hope. I feel they really excel at doing crime dramas (GitS: SAC and Psycho-Pass have set the standard), so I have high hopes for this.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 05: The Dancer on the Bridge

Thought this episode was kind of a mixed bag. Half of it is another mystery to solve and bad noble to kill, but then it's also introducing Fred and Moran as part of Moriarty's crew, so I felt like one element was distracting from the other and neither built up that well. Regardless, it still maintains enough ambience for the detective work itself. In this case, I feel it's trying to depict that you've got good and bad nobles that exist simultaneously, which helps to further differentiate that not all nobles are total a-holes.

However, I feel like this is turning into a one-and-done monotonous formula like Hell Girl. As in, you've got your weekly antagonist who hurt or killed someone, a protagonist who is there to dish out retribution, and then the choice to A) kill; or B) not kill, but ultimately, it's always choice A, because killing bad people warrants our particular protagonist's criminality.

At this point, I feel like it's an excuse for Moriarty to keep killing people who just happen to be bad. And since he's way smarter than anybody else in the series, so far, where's the conflict or challenge? He clearly has no intellectual equal till Sherlock eventually shows up, and there's not much else to his character other than his cunning and devious nature. The manga is listed as shounen, but Moriarty already seems to be at his peak with zero struggle. Even as a kid, he seemed to have everything perfectly laid out, and as an adult he's just a richer and better-dressed version of that.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
I've gotten tired of the "rich-bastard-of-the-week" approach. First it presents a stupid model of class conflict that ignores institutions in favor of bad guys, plus Moriarty and company have yet to confront a serious moral dilemma about their murderous ways. I'll stick around until we see what they do with Holmes and Watson, but so far, color me disappointed.
BBally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
The recent episode added in a plot point that wasn't in the manga.

spoiler[The commoner that Count Elders murdered was not mentioned to be a murderer or rapist in the Noatic chapter in the manga, which is supposed to be a sign that while Moriarty is the protagonist he is not real the hero of the story as he allowed an innocent man to be killed as part of his plan. Still they kept the hint that the little girl bumping into Elders was part of their plan like in the manga so they still put an innocent life in harms way.

Also, the way William talks about "Plunging London into the depths of Hell" sound like something Char Anzable or Light Yagami, so I don't think we're meant to agree with this overall plot he has planned.

Basically, Moriarty and his ganga may be the protagonists but Holmes and Watson are the heroes we know them to be.

]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 06: The Noahtic: Act 1

An evil noble and the looks of another elaborate setup in the making.

But hey, we finally get a glimpse of Sherlock.

That's all I got...
BBally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Episode 06: The Noahtic: Act 1

An evil noble and the looks of another elaborate setup in the making.

But hey, we finally get a glimpse of Sherlock.

That's all I got...

Sadly, this episode took away a sign that Moriarty and co were not really good guys as turning the commoner into a murderer who "deserved to be killed by the evil noble" was an Anime only reveal while in the manga he was an innocent victim that Moriarty's ganga allowed to be put in danger to further their end goal, which I'm sure the manga author intended to be a sign that Moriarty shouldn't be seen as a hero but somebody in the Anime production thought otherwise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:29 am Reply with quote
I might be spit balling here, but I suspect that one black haired guy will turn out to be the Moriarty to the Sherlock of our protagonist.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:27 am Reply with quote
Well, the fine line between villain and anti-hero is how much you can empathize for the character. Give a bad guy enough of a good story, then all of a sudden he's not such a bad guy, anymore. From what little we've seen in the anime, he's killing bad nobles in the name of trying to fix a corrupt social class system. That's a righteous enough cause.

But so far, all the nobles he's killed have been way over-the-top despicable. And why even bother to just kill them? As smart as he is, I figure he could rob them penniless and give all the money away to the victims or even his old orphanage, then have a noble or two commit suicide from the grief of sheer poverty or the guilt of their actions, further covering up his deeds for that "perfect crime" scenario.

Since the writing can go anywhere it wants between the manga (which I haven't read) and anime (which will hopefully stick closer to the source from what's been mentioned), all they have to do is introduce a third party or develop some kind of conflict for William. At this point, though, he's just too smart for that, so I have not idea where it can go from here (but I hope it can surprise me).

If I had to guess from what I'm currently seeing, it'll probably go the path of Death Note where William had good intentions, but ended up a bad guy. Or if they really wanna' go the martyr route, they can make him like Lelouch from Code Geass where he's actually conflicted about his deeds, but is also willing to make huge sacrifices in the process because that's how determined he is. The main thing this franchise has going for it, though, is that there aren't any supernatural powers to lean on that make William supremely overpowering. I just don't want him to end up as a really shallow character based on what I feel it's trying to build.
notthatguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
There’s so much going on with the show.

You have William Moriarty with his 1980s lesbian tennis pro/Wayne Gretzky protomullet dueling with Albert’s obviously more mature late career Jaromir Jagr mullet. Louis sometimes looks like David Bowie in the 1980s.

The first episode has elements of Ripper Street, down to the depravity and dark nature.

Then things get a bit… Weird.

Apparently Albert adopted William and the first thing William did to repay the favor is help Albert murder his family. Because nobles are evil.

Then each episode you have a more cartoonishly evil noble doing evil things and saying how rich and powerful they are and how commoners are poor and stupid… I mean this is like Eric Cartman level caricature.

And then Kaji from Evangelion shows up as Sherlock Holmes. Mrs Hudson drinks like Misato.

I think the show is finally going somewhere with the Sherlock Holmes episodes, but up until now it has been pretty formulaic and incomprehensible. I’m an evil noble. I’m going to kill all these stupid poor commoners because I’m evil and rich. I’m William Moriarty and I’m going to create an extremely contrived scheme to kill you, usually enlisting one of your victims because I want to create a society free of class and oppression, but actually I just sort of get off on killing people.

Also, all of the main characters look like they’re about to woo the same confused teenage girl in one of the weirdest otome ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2