• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Violet Evergarden Film Sells 1.2 Million Tickets to Earn 1.7 Billion Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lann

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:02 am Reply with quote
I dont understand this anime. The wife binged watched it over these past few days on Netflix. I just sort of watched bits and pieces. She finished the series only a few hours ago in fact. If it were me, I would have quit the series very early on. Whats so great about it? Seriously It has a wooden unemotional MC. The fleeting characters around her are far more interesting, including those who are only in 1 episode. The scribe profession is highly unrealistic. You are telling me that everyone cant write there own letters? come on... Rolling Eyes
The comet episode was only viewable for one night apparently Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
The MC at the end of the series was interesting, but it wasn't worth the 10+ episodes of filler. As for sequels, I cant see any point to them honestly. She got over her issues.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:16 am Reply with quote
The legs! The road to 2B yen draws closer. Keep it up Japan. Cool
Chrizy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:18 am Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
I dont understand this anime. The wife binged watched it over these past few days on Netflix. I just sort of watched bits and pieces. She finished the series only a few hours ago in fact. If it were me, I would have quit the series very early on. Whats so great about it? Seriously It has a wooden unemotional MC. The fleeting characters around her are far more interesting, including those who are only in 1 episode. The scribe profession is highly unrealistic. You are telling me that everyone cant write there own letters? come on... Rolling Eyes
The comet episode was only viewable for one night apparently Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
The MC at the end of the series was interesting, but it wasn't worth the 10+ episodes of filler. As for sequels, I cant see any point to them honestly. She got over her issues.

The anime wants you to empathize with the side characters, not the MC. If you can't do that, the anime is not for you.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:

Violet’s role is largely an empty vessel as she vicariously learns from the influential folks she encounters. She’s supposed to be a fairly hollow character, as she’s literally rebuilding her life piece-by-piece. The vignette and episodic structure doesn’t work for everyone, but as a fan of Champloo (judging from your avi), the format should be somewhat familiar.

Also, are you aware that during that time period many people were uneducated and incapable of reading. And even if they did know how, it still wouldn’t be enough to write a thoughtful letter that should take account grammar and other logistics. Education wasn’t readily available for everyone. That aspect of your complaint is very misguided.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1