• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Dive (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote

Full Dive (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, fantasy
Themes: RGP, video game

Plot Summary: Dull high school student Hiro Yūki is tricked into joining a fully immersive VR role-playing game. The game, Kiwame Quest is promoted as "more real than reality" with mind-blowing graphics, impressive NPC behavior, and even the scent of foliage and the sensation of wind blowing against your skin.

Unfortunately, the game is already a virtual ghost town after being flooded with player complaints that the game is little too realistic for its own good. Its quests are nearly impossible to clear, since players have to be as physically fit to complete them as they would in real life. Players feel actual pain when they get hit, and puncture wounds takes days to heal. The only reward is the mere sense of accomplishment. It is the complete opposite of a casual pick-up-and-play game, but Hiro vows to beat this most realistic and most stressful game ever.
----------------------------------

Episode 1 preaired this week. It's an anime adaptation of the light novel of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
I do have a fondness for VR RPG anime. The pirate subs I had access to were pretty awful

I am assuming he will be unable to restart his character file.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
1:

SAO meets KonoSuba.

I normally stay away from MMORPG-based anime. It's been done to death. More so if it's leaning towards isekai. This show marries two of my most averse themes. See, for a show that's supposedly mindless, the atmosphere is surprisingly... listless. Lacking energy or sorts. I know that the real world is portrayed as gray and dull because it's viewed from Hiro's eyes, but even the virtual world feels like it's missing something.

I can't stay on this show. It's clearly meant for MMORPG / isekai fans. I'm none of that.
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
1:
SAO meets KonoSuba.

and more!

The protagonist will be teased with continuous foolishness. I hope they keep a funny line without getting too ridiculous and banal.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Just thought that I might give an update at this point for what my general thoughts are. I think that the series in general is kind of too mean spirited, and makes me wonder about the sort of mind behind some of the stuff think of normal human nature. For instance, how it played things like someone having an accident where they might have wet themselves in a highly stressful situation, just comes across as super mean that people would be more likely to keep bringing it up as a means of something that should stain them forever. Like it is just expected that people would make fun of him over it rather than anyone asking him if he is okay and what tole the stress might have been.

In this episode in particular it had a moment of revealing Reona 's supposed interest at getting Hiro to play the game, and it is apparently because 10 years earlier she tried to flirt with the guy that would beat the game, and he apparently turned her down by saying that her boobs were too big. It just comes across really weird that we are supposed to take Reona seriously as any sort of character, with I guess just an assumption she had to be judged by her boobs, whether thinking that she is just someone with too large boobs or perhaps think that her boobs are fine. Perhaps we were meant to think that it was just silly, but I kind of think that it is just another part of a trend of sort of mean spirited stuff where the audience can revel in the mean stuff, or think they are better because thinking they are above it

The show did have a rather nice moment where Hiro made up with the programmed childhood friend guy that he accidentally killed, and there are parts about being above certain harsh things. But it always seems like it comes back to those harsh things, such as the strong merc guy that was bullying Hiro, apparently people turned on a dime after his favourite boots were soiled and his sword was put in the latrine, which just kind of comes across as this message that everyone sucks anyway. That maybe at the very least some people who know some pain of being hurt should not hurt others, but little about people can be naturally kind. It lately keeps coming back to Kamui being an arse, if Reona just generally being unpleasant.

Hiro himself is often just painful. I can't believe how long it took him to realise that the way to sway Alicia was to say that he cared about her. Hiro said that he was well familiar of the tropes, so it should have been obvious when it was hinted at him. Hiro often seems like he is pushed up a bit of being a good guy, simply by not being an obviously horrible one, as a low bar to overcome. He did overcome some of stuff with coming to terms with what he did, but he could go a way to actually be enjoyable to watch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

My thoughts really haven't changed much, in general I kind of identified "more real than real life" sort of slogan as something connected to what I thought of the nihilistic point of view of this show, of characters sucking like it is some life's secret. Although looking back in some retrospection, maybe it should have deserved some amount of praise for going against the power fantasy idea. But it covered for that by having an overpowered guy that was cool/edgy because he treated others like trash. Kind of reads in ways like some sort of shitpost to make fun of people. Maybe only contradicted by the times it was not terrible in telling people to have some awareness of themselves, although that awareness was often that people are shitty. I don't know who in this show people are supposed to actually like.

It otherwise was not bad on technical merits. It looked good. And I can say that it was acted professionally, although it kind of often in general made me feel uncomfortable in maybe its direction. My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), I didn't really lose my time, it had the elements of being interesting to watch, it just kind of lacked fun, or what I would call helpful introspection in the face of that. For an example of a fantasy styled show that also didn't overpower protagonists, making goblins a real threat, there is Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, which as a contrast did seem to have more to say on the human condition and at least have interesting if flawed characters.

Also, they hinted that Hiro could use real skills for powers, with that one scene where he seemed to have super speed, perhaps connected to his real life running experience. But then the last battle it was some bullshit thing about the desire to not give up that gave him super strength. Which they tried to act like they were aware that it could fit a trope and thus was not the case, but it kind of was when it was saying that it is a real life super power or something too. And one more thing, Tesla had magic lightning powers, where was the realism there when magic was suddenly a thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty much done with isekai and/or "inside a video game isekai" shows but this one actually held my attention, mainly thanks to the humour. The multiple examples of exactly how realistically shitty the game was rarely failed to crack me up. The finale clearly indicates there is more story to tell and I hope it gets the chance.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I found this show to be pretty funny. Reona and Hiro were hilarious together. That part in like episode 9 when the in-game mercenary bullies laughed at Hiro and Reona just laughed with them was so friggin' cruel but also so hilarious. I particularly found Hiro's comebacks to be really funny. There was something so effective about the combination of facial expressions and how his VA delivered his lines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1