• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's Build King Manga Ends

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
His next work just wasn't as big as Toriko I suppose.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
That was fast but I'm not surprised to see it cut loose. Having read it I can say it just wasn't very good. The pages were way too cluttered with text and the premise of a magical carpenter probably didn't give this series a whole lot of broad appeal.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
I do try not to say things like that buuuut... good riddance.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising. Had an interesting enough idea but the execution was super lacking. Not even WSJ vets are safe from the chopping block of mediocrity.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Expected. Toriko lasted as long as it did due to the novelty of its aesthetics, having a retro appearance back to classic Fist of the North Star depictions of over-muscled men.

This though was a very general shonen and the protags being kids meant it didn’t have a retro vibe going for it.

Hilarious that they ended it on a total cliffhanger. Couldn’t even give it the dignity of letting him resolve the arc. Laughing
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I’ve been saying this for years, but Shimabukuro doesn’t know how to write a proper manga. Toriko was so full of potholes that fans had attempt to fill in the gaps because the man failed to address them in the manga. Neutral
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I actually wanted to like this series. I really do. But I have some real issues with the protagonist wanting to become something but not doing the proper steps to at least learn how to become that thing.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:51 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Hilarious that they ended it on a total cliffhanger. Couldn’t even give it the dignity of letting him resolve the arc. Laughing

It looks like the plan is to publish one last chapter exclusively in the final volume which will resolve the cliffhanger.

Though that doesn't feel like much of an incentive to pick the volume up, given how rushed an unplanned conclusion is bound to be.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:34 am Reply with quote
Too much info dump and too little adventure for a story which was supposed to be for a younger audience. Also, after the Act-Age cancellation, maybe it wasn't the best moment for Shimabukuro to launch another story (even if Toriko was a hit and it was released before even).

From what we know, authors are warned some chapters' before to set things up. But with BK entering in an long exam arc and several unexplained plot holes, it was impossible to solve them in two-three chapters, hence the unpublished final chapter for the tankobon/compilation.

It happened the same with other works as Ghost Writer, Hiruma…
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1