Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Unveils Shenmue Anime Series' First Look Video, Art


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The Not so Chosen One



Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 160
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more interested in this anime if Crunchyroll weren't behind this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockSplash



Joined: 28 Oct 2019
Posts: 252
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I'd be more interested in this anime if Crunchyroll weren't behind this.


Again, like Fena before, I am pretty sure Adult Swim is the company to thank for this. They are directly putting money into these projects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catbot158



Joined: 04 Mar 2017
Posts: 218
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Everytime I hear news about the Shenmue anime, I keep being concerned. Not only because they're going to do an adaptation of Shenmue, of all things, but also the director does not have the best credits to their name. Season 2 of One Punch Man, Lost Song...I dunno, maybe it could be entertaining, but I still have reservations...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Not so Chosen One



Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 160
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Again, like Fena before, I am pretty sure Adult Swim is the company to thank for this. They are directly putting money into these projects.

It's a co-production. Still enough involvement from Crunchyroll to not get me excited about this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matros



Joined: 22 Feb 2021
Posts: 58
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Oof. The visuals leave a lot to be desired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulchaested



Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I'd be more interested in this anime if Crunchyroll weren't behind this.


Did you like Oddtaxi, an AOTY contender?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4620
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I'd be more interested in this anime if Crunchyroll weren't behind this.


If we're being fair why anyone would interested in a Shenmue anime regardless of whose producing it in 2021 is the real quandary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 2353
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm skeptical of turning Shenmue into an anime and how well it will adapt...visually the trailer doesn't look too impressive but the fight animation, which might make it actually worth watching, looks decent enough.

I'm curious if the vocal performances for the dub will be directed like they were for Shenmue 3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aresef



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 741
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:18 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

I'm curious if the vocal performances for the dub will be directed like they were for Shenmue 3.


I sure hope so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
donhumberto



Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 637
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:26 am Reply with quote
This looks really good. Definitely looking forward to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HueyLion



Joined: 14 Feb 2014
Posts: 759
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:29 am Reply with quote
Would not be surprised if this ends on a cliffhanger and the story waiting to be continued in another game...because for some reason the creator just doesn't want the story of Shenmue to end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Todd_Harry08



Joined: 24 Sep 2019
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:46 am Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Everytime I hear news about the Shenmue anime, I keep being concerned. Not only because they're going to do an adaptation of Shenmue, of all things, but also the director does not have the best credits to their name. Season 2 of One Punch Man, Lost Song...I dunno, maybe it could be entertaining, but I still have reservations...


He did much key animations on the naruto franchise and was chief animation director for most of the naruto movies and even directed some episodes of shippuden
Also I don't think you can really blame him for OPM S2 since the schedule was too tight for an action show and it was apparent for someone's first debut in directing an action show which didn't let him land well on it but his storyboards for ep 4 was good


Last edited by Todd_Harry08 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3443
Location: New York
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:06 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I'm skeptical of turning Shenmue into an anime and how well it will adapt...visually the trailer doesn't look too impressive but the fight animation, which might make it actually worth watching, looks decent enough.

I'm curious if the vocal performances for the dub will be directed like they were for Shenmue 3.


I’d rather they were held to more conventional quality standards, but all we have to go on now is the monologue.

The fight animation looks good. That’s going to be the kicker here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14621
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Kinda reminds me of the Double Dragon cartoon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3443
Location: New York
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kinda reminds me of the Double Dragon cartoon.


Oh come on, that’s just mean. This is better animated for starters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group