• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Revengers Anime to Replace 'Draken' Voice Actor Tatsuhisa Suzuki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
My boi's career has been rip-ped in pieces. Sad.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I knew they would replace him..... Hope he's grown since the scandle and get more roles.
chocorade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Sadly I knew this would happen.
I wonder if Tatsuhisa's career will ever recover from it, or even if he'll get out of hiatus someday lol.
It seems that people in the Japanese media and public don't really care much about his infidelity, but rather the fact that he leaked info about Free's movie. People over Twitter are all complaining about him leaking info and stuff, and in the past infidelities from seiyuu have been easily forgotten (cough Okamoto, Namikawa)
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
Japanese wikipedia says that Suzuki attempted suicide in August after the tabloid exposed his affair. (Wiki says the affair was with a fan in her 20s.)
I think that is the main reason he can't work and his roles are being recast.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:23 am Reply with quote
chocorade wrote:
I wonder if Tatsuhisa's career will ever recover from it, or even if he'll get out of hiatus someday lol.
It seems that people in the Japanese media and public don't really care much about his infidelity, but rather the fact that he leaked info about Free's movie. People over Twitter are all complaining about him leaking info and stuff, and in the past infidelities from seiyuu have been easily forgotten (cough Okamoto, Namikawa)

You're forgetting the fact that he cheated on her wife who's a VERY famous celebrity in Japan, and he got replaced around the time Zenkaiger was around as a result of the affair and not around Free.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
chocorade wrote:

His agency already stated that the leaking issue was a lie.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:30 am Reply with quote
Until he announces that he's back this will keep getting reported.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
MakiharaMeiko wrote:

IIRC the girl he cheated with had posted on her Twitter account that he had previewed some of the music he had been working on for other projects. She speculated it was Free! and even if that turned out to be not true, companies don't want to work with anyone they suspect will violate NDAs.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
MakiharaMeiko wrote:

IIRC the girl he cheated with had posted on her Twitter account that he had previewed some of the music he had been working on for other projects. She speculated it was Free! and even if that turned out to be not true, companies don't want to work with anyone they suspect will violate NDAs.

I heard the same thing, but I didn't see the tweet (and it was nowere to be seen either). But bunshun made an interview with Tatsun's agency and it stated that that issue was a lie (even Kyoani keep Tatsun in his role, so the leak has to be a lie, if the agency says so and Kyoani doesn't take any sort of action).
If companies take action based on a rumor then... it's nothing to be done :_)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm not surprised, but it'll be (again) weird to hear Draken's voice without him.

I don't condone his cheating at all and feel there should be consequences but it's hard to watch his successful career implode so thoroughly after having been a fan of his up to this point.

I guess at least LiSA forgave him?
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
MakiharaMeiko wrote:
Ming Yi wrote:
MakiharaMeiko wrote:

I heard the same thing, but I didn't see the tweet (and it was nowere to be seen either). But bunshun made an interview with Tatsun's agency and it stated that that issue was a lie (even Kyoani keep Tatsun in his role, so the leak has to be a lie, if the agency says so and Kyoani doesn't take any sort of action).
If companies take action based on a rumor then... it's nothing to be done :_)

That's because the account disappeared the day after Bunshun had attempted to interview Tatsuhisa Suzuki on the street about his affair and showed him the Twitter account. Someone was probably asked to delete it.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:03 am Reply with quote
The closest voice I can think of would maybe be Daisuke Ono from the top of my head. But I'd like to see who they'd pick
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:44 am Reply with quote
It always kills me how angry nerd YouTubers always claim "Based" Japan doesn't have Cancel Culture, and then something like this happens the next week. Amazing.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
maric

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I always kills me how angry nerd YouTubers always claim "Based" Japan doesn't have Cancel Culture, and then something like this happens the next week. Amazing.

If anything, it seems like public figures are much more likely to lose their careers in Japan for doing something scandalous. In the US stuff like this can actually make your career lol, and most of those that complain the loudest about being cancelled end up more successful than they started.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
The closest voice I can think of would maybe be Daisuke Ono from the top of my head. But I'd like to see who they'd pick

Ono is already in the anime as another character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1