• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 More Linked to Comic Market Diagnosed With COVID-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
They're doing contact tracing?

People were walking around in this crowd. Since they have no idea of the exact flow of individuals, everyone in this room is a contact.

But for what it's worth, Tokyo is now averaging 1900 reported new cases a day, with a couple thousand more asymptomatic cases likely (Japan only tests symptomatic individuals). There's going to be tens of thousands of active cases in Tokyo right now, and even if all the symptomatic people isolate, it's pretty much a statistical impossibility that there weren't dozens of people at Big Sight who were Covid 19 positive.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
They're doing contact tracing?.

I didn't go this year mainly cause I had no idea some of the circles I like would be there until the day before when they updated their twitters to reflect (that and the pricing.) Dunno if they required or not or if like in a lot of recent cases when I go to idol lives they request you to dl the governments contact tracing app and show or not. Most people mock that app and don't use it because of the hilarity of a crap show it was when first released. Sits at a whopping 2.2* for reviews cause it didn't work. I've dl'd it for a few lives only to remove it right after getting in. If they required it and requested to see before entry my bet is a lot did the same after getting in. Guess the Comicron variant is starting to show itself.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The article did not make this clear: does that make 6 total Comiket participants who tested positive?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The article did not make this clear: does that make 6 total Comiket participants who tested positive?

We have the initial announcement that says "2" and then this one that says "4 more." I would interpret that as 6 total, assuming there are no in-between announcements missing. But it could be a little more explicit in our article, I'll point it out to the news team.

The Japanese announcement does explicitly list 6 cases total.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

To be clear, of the six people linked to Comic Market 99 who have tested positive for COVID-19 so far:
• two were staff members
• three were regular attendees who ate and drank with the two staff members
• one was neither a staffer nor an attendee, but also ate and drank with the other five
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
They're doing contact tracing?

People were walking around in this crowd. Since they have no idea of the exact flow of individuals, everyone in this room is a contact.

To clarify, this photo is from the first day of Comic Market 96 in August 2019, the first time the event charged an entrance fee. 160,000 people attended that day, compared to 55,000 on either day of Comic Market 99 this past December.

https://twitter.com/comiketofficial/status/1159659316107808768
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2019-08-09/comic-market-96-attracts-160000-attendees-on-1st-day/.149891
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1