• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshiyuki Tomino: "Japan Is No Longer a Leader in Animation"

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
What Beijing animation does anyone even know? I can't think of any... so I have a tough time believing they are real competition on a worldwide scale.
Touma55

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
What Beijing animation does anyone even know? I can't think of any... so I have a tough time believing they are real competition on a worldwide scale.

I was wondering the same thing. Despite him making it sound like Japan has been beaten or something I think the reality is more that he is afraid one day they could be beaten.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think from a Japanese perspective, Chinese animation is a real competition. It doesn't have to compete with Disney or French animation on the world stage to compete with Japanese animation, both are also real competition as well, financially and/or stylistically.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
China? Competition? No, not even close at least for anime, they are competition against western animation though. The west would be competition to Japan pretty easily if anime like Castlevania were made in much larger quantities.
Junovm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Not true. Hardly anyone watches chinese animations, and theres hardly any discussions surrounding them, if at all. Anime is more popular than ever infact.

And if he looks for innovation, look no further than The Girl From the Other Side or even upcoming Uzumaki series.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I think Tomino's going senile...
kuma991

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I feel I have to agree with him. Japan hasn't produced anything original in a long while now. Everything is isekai or a rehash of the same old story. The days of heart-felt revolutionary stories that inspire other filmmakers all over the world are over. And in this context, China does produce stuff that feel like a breath of fresh air. Meanwhile, what do anime fans have to look forward to? The years of Demon Slayer knock-offs?

As for Uzumaki and The Girl from the Other Side - I'll reserve my opinion till they're released.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
He's not wrong, tho. I'm not gonna say the obvious (like how many low quality anime is in TV nowadays, how many poor payed animators are in the industry, etc), so I'm just going to say that "Spare Me Great Lord!" opening have a quality that far exceeds any japanese anime opening production xD So yeah, maybe in a few years japanese animation is no longer the leader.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Go home you're drunk
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
"But everything is fine now" is missing the point of this kind of speech: it's to light a fire under people's butts. "But everything is fine now" is the complacency being warned against.

I'm reminded of how not long ago, people scoffed at Chinese games being capable of competing internationally outside of maybe a few other countries. Then people woke up one day, and a game written off as a Breath of the Wild rip off was eating everyone's lunch.

That's the sort of thing he's warning about here. Fail to improve, fail to innovate, and you end up with a situation where someone else can do the same things or better, and your slice of the pie is going to shrink, and keep shrinking.
Bruce91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
While he does exgerrate a little. There are legit insanely talented animators from China like hiromatsu shuu(pen name).

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQN5A2-3_o
cchigu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Haven't been a fan of anime lately, good shows have shitty animation, shiity shows have good animation, trash LN and VN adaptations soaring high... The last new good show I watched was Vinland Saga or maybe Kaguya sama, don't remember which came first.
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
bruce1991 wrote:
While he does exgerrate a little. There are legit insanely talented animators from China like hiromatsu shuu(pen name).

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQN5A2-3_o

This has to be the best animated opening I have ever seen
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime is more popular than ever and yet no one likes my newest Gundam? Clearly Japan's lack of dominance in the animation space is to blame.
Sarcataclysmal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I think Tomino is exaggerating a bit, since stuff like the adaptation of his own book (Hathaway's Flash) proves anime is still innovating and standing strong, even under the pressures of the anime industry.

As someone who has watched donghua, though, I don't see Chinese animation as being a significant threat to anime in any way, since the Chinese and Japanese industries are actually intertwined quite a bit. You can see a lot of Chinese and Korean animation studios in the credits to anime nowadays (i.e. DR Movie, which has always been around; Beijing Xiale Arts, which more recently entered the industry; co-productions between Haoliners and other studios like BLADE and CoMix Wave Films), or the reverse; animators like Riooo and such participating in Chinese productions.

Korean studios are notably sweatshops, like JM Animation's treatment of their team working on Avatar (Avatar was animated by JM, MOI Animation, and DR Movie), which is what lead to the founding of Studio Mir (after some people from JM got tired of the bad treatment). But even then, Korean animation continues to mostly pump out outsourcing productions like The Simpsons.

Most Chinese donghua also aren't really notable. Most of them seem to be CG-animated, like Legend of Ravaging Dynasties, and even then, most of them have this very esoteric narrative style built around wuxia and similar Chinese genres, which are accessible to those who are interested, but when a majority of the works seem to follow that sort of story, I can't say too many people I know, who have experimented with donghua, care too much about them. Especially when the CG-animated ones look like mobile game ads, and the 2D animated ones are either very impressive (Heibai Wushang) or downright awful (Duan Nao) in regard to how good they look.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5