• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hunter x Hunter's Yoshihiro Togashi Says It Takes a Week to Redo a Single Panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
If he have some serious health issues why not just cancel manga or give someone else to finish it?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
If he have some serious health issues why not just cancel manga or give someone else to finish it?
Togashi's personal pride of not letting anyone go with his manga - otherwise he would have done it much, MUCH sooner.
Uraniox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
It's his manga, he can do what he wants with it.

I wish him all the best.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:37 pm Reply with quote
God, people are so toxic about Togashi...

You guys don't have his health problems and have no idea how horribly torturing his condition is, especially for the sort of work he does. And it's not something you can just adjust your position while drawing without putting at risk the artwork quality.

Not to mention, he is an artist, anyone suggesting him to find someone to draw for him are comically missing the point of HIM, as an artist, doing HIS art, with his own love for it.

That's not to mention people would complain about "not being the same, therefore sucking", since that's all this toxic waste of a fandom is.

Maybe you don't have an artistic job of your own and YOU won't get this, but there's much more than "pride" involved in the fact anyone in his position wouldn't like for their passion to be substituted just so he can complete a story up to this point presented with it (reason why he bothered redrawing those incomplete panels from the magazine for the tankobon release).
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Reaperherpderp wrote:
i have no sympathy for the man anymore... we get it, your in pain
either let others do the art while you do the story/story boards or just stop making it, im sick of this middle ground of a few chapters every 4 years when you will just complain after doing 1 chapter finally

And I am sick of people somehow thinking that Togashi expressing how he is feeling is somehow a personal attack. Don't like it? Stop reading HxH. There. All your """"pain""""" and """"suffering""""" will end. Rolling Eyes
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Reaperherpderp wrote:
i have no sympathy for the man anymore... we get it, your in pain
either let others do the art while you do the story/story boards or just stop making it, im sick of this middle ground of a few chapters every 4 years when you will just complain after doing 1 chapter finally

Health issues are nothing compared to the true suffering of being an entitled fan. Seriously, you are not entitled for authors to give up their creative control, (including the creative control of actually making your beloved manga instead of handing off the reigns) so you can have a faster/more consistent release schedule. He's already compromised, he has assistants now, for god's sake.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I think this thread has achieved Togashi bingo by now. -_-

For my own part, I said all I have to say three months ago.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Is it really too much to think that even despite the hardship he just doesn't want to pass the art off to anyone else, that it's something close that his heart that he still enjoys working on? I don't want to speculate too much but if drawing is this hard for him, who knows what else he could do in his daily life? May as well at least be doing something he loves.

There's an endless amount of manga to read while you wait for HxH chapters. You'll be fine.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Is it really too much to think that even despite the hardship he just doesn't want to pass the art off to anyone else, that it's something close that his heart that he still enjoys working on? I don't want to speculate too much but if drawing is this hard for him, who knows what else he could do in his daily life? May as well at least be doing something he loves.

There's an endless amount of manga to read while you wait for HxH chapters. You'll be fine.

IMO, I think people just don't want another Miura situation.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:50 pm Reply with quote
If he wants to draw it himself then fine but at least have a backup plan similar to Berserk author.

Someone needs to finish the story
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:25 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

IMO, I think people just don't want another Miura situation.

If they don't, they're doing an awful way of saying it with "I have no sympathy for the man anymore"
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Deleted toxic and unsympathetic posts, including the follow-up posts.

I know everyone wants to see HxH be done, but keep in mind, that Togashi is doing his best to finish it, as it his vision, his manga -- his desire to finish it with his own hands.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
If he wants to draw it himself then fine but at least have a backup plan similar to Berserk author.

Miura did not have a backup plan. The continuation is entirely on Mori and the publisher.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:50 pm Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:

Miura did not have a backup plan. The continuation is entirely on Mori and the publisher.

And his assistants, which compose his own manga studio (Studio Gaga) and were publishing a manga series under his guidance before it got cancelled once they began working on continuing Berserk.

Mori was like a best friend that knew everything coming up for the story, the assistants knew a fair bunch as well, and they cross-checked informations, which resulted in this unison we are currently seeing develop as the manga continues to progress after his passing.

It's not entirely on publisher and Mori, and arguably, the publisher would not even follow up if it wasn't for Miura's own already known wishes for his assistants to complete his work in the occasion he died before finishing it (which, in the text just after the final Miura chapter, also tweeted, they stated they would do all they could to proceed with what Miura's desired for his work).
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:38 am Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

Counterpoint: Nobody needs to finish the story. If Togashi chooses the possibility of the story never being finished over losing his story to someone else, that is entirely his prerogative.

He doesn't owe anyone a conclusion. None of the readers are entitled to a conclusion. The world will keep on spinning even if Hunter x Hunter is never finished.

The artist doesn't exist to facilitate the art. The art exists to be the expression of the artist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2