• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hunter x Hunter's Yoshihiro Togashi Tweets Worrying Health Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hell, the man's married to a fellow manga artist. Ask her to do the drawing while he writes the story; if anyone knows what he'd approve of art-wise, it's probably the lady who's lived with him for 20+ years.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Hope this does not come across as ignorant or anything but, maybe Togashi-sensei should really look into a studio of a few artists to help. I'm sure his editor and Jump can help him find some people, especially someone at his level. He can just dictate the story to them and how things will be. He obivously still loves what he does, but it seems the art part is out of his grasp. Togashi-sensei can still be creative in a form of dictating the story and how compositions should be.
I just want him to work on being well, this seems like a mistake to keep pushing himself.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:44 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
Hell, the man's married to a fellow manga artist. Ask her to do the drawing while he writes the story; if anyone knows what he'd approve of art-wise, it's probably the lady who's lived with him for 20+ years.

Takeuchi’s style is very different. I imagine they’ve had this conversation before but clearly, Togashi wants to finish HxH himself, even if it’s to the detriment of his health. I believe he should be outsourcing or delegating his work, but it’s not going to happen.

Didn’t he also really struggle to end YYH in a satisfactory way? It may be the same with HxH, where the delays are mostly due to his health but possibly also because of difficulty writing a series that’s been going for 20+ years.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

And if he keeps this mindset up, he's going to work himself to an early grave like Miura did

Miura did not die from overwork. This is a misconception that took off when his death was first made public but has been refuted by his colleagues. Miura died due to acute aortic dissection, which is a tear in the inner lining of the aorta.

Quote:
Aortic dissection happens because there is an underlying, slow breakdown of the cells that make up the walls of your aorta. The breakdown has likely been going on silently for many years before the weakened area of the aortic wall finally gives way, resulting in a tear, which leads to the aortic dissection.

Why does the aortic wall weaken in some people and not others? It’s believed that most aortic dissections are caused by an underlying vulnerability that may be inherited. In others, the stress to the aortic wall from constant high blood pressure can weaken the aorta wall in susceptible people, resulting in a tear and dissection.

Aortic dissection in the ascending aorta (the section closest to the heart where the pressure is the highest) is nearly two times more common than those that occur in the descending aorta. Tears in the aorta typically occur in areas where the stress on the wall of the aorta is highest.
(https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/16743-aortic-dissection)

Likewise, he had assistants on his manga (who are going to continue it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
Didn’t he also really struggle to end YYH in a satisfactory way? It may be the same with HxH, where the delays are mostly due to his health but possibly also because of difficulty writing a series that’s been going for 20+ years.

Togashi didn't even really "end" Yu Yu Hakusho, but rather just jumped ahead to the finale because he got tired of doing the manga (he even admitted to being "selfish" about that), and let the anime fill in the gap.

Anyway, while I do get people's feelings that Togashi should do this or that, but Togashi is far from the only mangaka to not do exactly what people are bringing up. Yoshiki Takaya & Guyver, Masami Kurumada & Saint Seiya: Next Dimension (or even the unfinished Fuma no Kojirou: Yagyu Ansatsucho), Kazushi Hagiwara & Bastard!!, Suzue Miuchi & Glass Mask, Koji Inada & Beet the Vandel Buster, and Ai Yazawa & NANA are all similar long-term hiatuses (or at least a series of smaller hiatuses), and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples that I can't think of immediately.

In all of those situations, the various mangaka have done the same thing as Togashi & NOT hired other people to continue their works.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
But it will not be in Togashi style, or he was done that way earlier when his back problems started.

Togashi literally wants to control everything about his works and even Shueisha WSJ editors are not in place to demand otherwise, so that's why we are still here with the current "release schedule" of HxH instead of well, straight end of it.

I always get shat on whenever I say this (doesn't stop it from being true, though), but Togashi is keeping on this horrid pace out of stubborness and a sense of artistic integrity that honestly is hurting him more and more. Sui Ishida did that Hisoka spinoff that IIRC Togashi admired, so the possibility of some other artist doing the art is a plausible one.

Also, let's not pretend that Togashi's art is worth all the pain he's going through, because it hasn't looked good since before the Chimera Ant arc, and polishing it for the volume releases doesn't count given the also horrid gap between releases.

Not from me. As a more blunt friend put it, nobody's reading HxH for the art. It's replicable by someone else. Let's go straight to the obvious comparison. The Berserk team is continuing with Berserk. Berserk arguably does have the most incredible looking, most irreplaceable art style in manga history. But they're going to go for it anyway. It takes incredible, pardon the pun, guts to try to continue Berserk. Those guys are legends and are truly trying to honor the legacy of their quiet, humble master and the the story he built over his entire life.

Every time I hear anything about "Woe Is Me" Togashi, I just get annoyed. Everybody else knows the solution and has for like a decade: Togashi writes, someone else draws. The end. There are tons of legendary writer-artist teams out there he could call to ask for advice on how to make the transition. Hell, Togashi just happens to be married to one of the most famous mangaka of all time. Now, I'm not saying his more-famous wife should take over his drawing duties, though I am strongly mouthing that it would be one of the best manga meta stories of all time. Or just hire somebody. Everybody's tired of this.

Togashi is really starting to come off like the Japanese GRRM. Yes, he has a much harder job than GRRM, but at a certain point, it's basically the same. Finish your shit. I remember reading about Togashi apologizing for prematurely ending Yu Yu Hakusho because he got stressed or scared or whatever. Unfortunate, but I can sympathize. However, now you have a chance most mangaka will never have: a second hit series. There's still time to not make a similar mistake. Hopefully. I hope he legitimately does get over his physical problems, because losing Miura was one of the saddest things ever. But he's got to get over himself.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Togashi for the love that is all that great in this world...just take a looong break and rest easy!
I rather have to go through another...muira situation ;(

I rather he pass on his work to a successor and he live out his life more peacefully while watching his amazing creation come through fruition. That way he can still be around to give advice and supervision when needed and see HxH reach its much desired ending.

Pretty much whats going on with Toriyama and Dragon Ball Super as of now, both legends are alive and I want it to stay that way for much longer!
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:31 pm Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:

Not from me. As a more blunt friend put it, nobody's reading HxH for the art. It's replicable by someone else. Let's go straight to the obvious comparison. The Berserk team is continuing with Berserk. Berserk arguably does have the most incredible looking, most irreplaceable art style in manga history. But they're going to go for it anyway. It takes incredible, pardon the pun, guts to try to continue Berserk. Those guys are legends and are truly trying to honor the legacy of their quiet, humble master and the the story he built over his entire life.

Every time I hear anything about "Woe Is Me" Togashi, I just get annoyed. Everybody else knows the solution and has for like a decade: Togashi writes, someone else draws. The end. There are tons of legendary writer-artist teams out there he could call to ask for advice on how to make the transition. Hell, Togashi just happens to be married to one of the most famous mangaka of all time. Now, I'm not saying his more-famous wife should take over his drawing duties, though I am strongly mouthing that it would be one of the best manga meta stories of all time. Or just hire somebody. Everybody's tired of this.

Togashi is really starting to come off like the Japanese GRRM. Yes, he has a much harder job than GRRM, but at a certain point, it's basically the same. Finish your shit. I remember reading about Togashi apologizing for prematurely ending Yu Yu Hakusho because he got stressed or scared or whatever. Unfortunate, but I can sympathize. However, now you have a chance most mangaka will never have: a second hit series. There's still time to not make a similar mistake. Hopefully. I hope he legitimately does get over his physical problems, because losing Miura was one of the saddest things ever. But he's got to get over himself.

Speak for yourself, dude. HxH still looks great and is head and shoulders above many manga when it comes to the art. Togashi's rendering has only improved over time and it's most definitely not "replicable by someone else." Besides that point though, he doesn't owe anyone anything. Maybe if you create something for yourself someday you will have a shred of understanding on how he feels. It's easy to act high and mighty and think you have all the answers to someone else's problems but you only have a narrow view of the entire situation. The best you can do is sit back and respect the decision of the author. If you don't like it, then stop reading.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:58 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

And if he keeps this mindset up, he's going to work himself to an early grave like Miura did

Miura did not die from overwork. This is a misconception that took off when his death was first made public but has been refuted by his colleagues. Miura died due to acute aortic dissection, which is a tear in the inner lining of the aorta.

Quote:
Aortic dissection happens because there is an underlying, slow breakdown of the cells that make up the walls of your aorta. The breakdown has likely been going on silently for many years before the weakened area of the aortic wall finally gives way, resulting in a tear, which leads to the aortic dissection.

Why does the aortic wall weaken in some people and not others? It’s believed that most aortic dissections are caused by an underlying vulnerability that may be inherited. In others, the stress to the aortic wall from constant high blood pressure can weaken the aorta wall in susceptible people, resulting in a tear and dissection.

Aortic dissection in the ascending aorta (the section closest to the heart where the pressure is the highest) is nearly two times more common than those that occur in the descending aorta. Tears in the aorta typically occur in areas where the stress on the wall of the aorta is highest.
(https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/16743-aortic-dissection)

Likewise, he had assistants on his manga (who are going to continue it).

miura overworked himself - caused stress which increases blood pressure
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:15 am Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:
Sounds really worrying. Please get well soon, sir! Sad

Get well? No he does not need to get well, he needs to rest indefinitely. He can't go on like this and its pretty obvious based on all these updates his health is deteriorating. He needs a long rest and just live out of the rest of his days in retirement. If he stops now, maybe he can prolong his life a little bit more but i worry that if he continues to push himself like this. He might die before he has a chance to reach an old age.

In any case, I admire his strength to keep on going as a mangaka but clearly he's reach his limits and he needs to just pass on his work to someone else. No one will think any less of him if he does and I understand its a pride thing. He doesn't want to relinckuish the rights to his life's work and not able to finish his masterpiece but clearly illness has over taken him. Its the cycle of life and a bad card that he was dealth, but what can you do?
in a recent tweet , it was implied that he has assistants tho
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:29 am Reply with quote
What he should or shouldn't do artistically and professionally shouldn't even be a topic up for discussion really people need to be focused on appreciating the work he has put out and wishing him well so he can stay motivated to stay healthy. The stress from the public he is enduring can't be helping his mental and physical health at all.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:39 am Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
What he should or shouldn't do artistically and professionally shouldn't even be a topic up for discussion really people need to be focused on appreciating the work he has put out and wishing him well so he can stay motivated to stay healthy. The stress from the public he is enduring can't be helping his mental and physical health at all.

Yeah, it's kind of telling how people are saying that in order to "take care of himself" he should basically sacrifice his own integrity as a creator and artist. Yes, I understand that people want more HxH and the hiatuses are frustrating, but come on. Personally I'd rather have a manga not finished, or finished in novel form, than the artist being forced to hand it over to someone who either imitates his artwork or just does their own thing with it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:14 am Reply with quote
This sounds like degenerative disc disorder, the degeneration of the discs that make up the spine through abuse or the like, and it's probably the disease that you're most likely to get a disability claim granted from outside of something inevitably fatal. I don't know about the man's work ethic or his desire to keep drawing, but a degenerative disease like this would cause most, if not all its sufferers to stop working simply because it prevents you from working even in sedentary jobs.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
asanime6 wrote:

miura overworked himself - caused stress which increases blood pressure

Miura has made comments about his health both physical and mental in the past, however, as said before, his assistant said for the last 15 years, Miura was in good condition and taking care of himself. There’s no way for us to know for certain but I’m inclined to believe them since they actually knew him. The nature of Miura’s passing was just one of those sudden and tragic things that could’ve happened no matter what.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
This just royally sucks. It's awful. And it feels like there's nothing else worth saying.

It doesn't matter what we think. There's nothing we know about drawing manga, or about Togashi's own situation and needs and desires, that he doesn't, and a vast amount he knows that we don't. He knows about assistants; he's had them, and reportedly treats them quite well. His loved ones have no doubt suggested every alternative that might make things easier on him. Professionally, his obligations are to Shueisha, not to us, and they seem to be okay with leaving the future of Hunter x Hunter up to him. All that really matters are his own choices.

Which means the only real place for us in all this is watching from a distance as a 56-year-old man's body tortures him day in and day out, as it'll probably continue to do for the rest of his life, while he keeps pursuing the career and the art form that makes him suffer even more.

Is Hunter x Hunter worth that? Is a version of Hunter x Hunter where he continues to do as much of the art as he's been doing (as opposed to, say, just script and name) worth that? It feels obscene to even presume the right to answer that question. It's not ours to answer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2