• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna Loses Appeal of Defamation Case, Faces More Attorney's Fees

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh neat, one final kick to the nuts to make it 35 losses instead of 34.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:09 am Reply with quote
Lol, keep on failing at failing.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:18 am Reply with quote
Just wondering are there any higher courts in Texas or is this likely that end of the line for Vic to overrun the trial court ruling?
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:25 am Reply with quote
He could take it to the Texas Supreme Court, but they would have to take the case to begin with. And even if they did, I don't know what he could do differently.

The case is about whether or not accusing him of sexual assault or referring to him as a sexpest is defamation, and it has been proven multiple times with extremely sufficient evidence that there was reasonable grounds to accuse him of sexual misconduct, or suspect him of it. A statement can only be considered defamation if it is provably false, or if there is no reason to believe it is true. Basically, they don't have to prove without a shadow of a doubt that Mignogna did these things, just that they have reason to suspect that he did. The evidence they have of that is pretty airtight.
Hongqilim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:29 am Reply with quote
As the uninitiated, I wish to know how fair and transparent are the courts in the US?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:31 am Reply with quote
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Though I'm sure the Vic cultists would disagree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
Hongqilim wrote:
As the uninitiated, I wish to know how fair and transparent are the courts in the US?

There's not exactly a simple answer to that for ALL courts, but in this particular case basically everything publically available - affidavits, rulings, court transcripts, even recordings of some depositions.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:13 am Reply with quote
All I’ll say is “sucks to suck”.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:24 am Reply with quote
I'm sure the losers who gave him $300,000 for legal fees can rest easy knowing it was money well spent.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:22 am Reply with quote
Just when things were looking up for Vic. I really hope he comes out on top.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:45 am Reply with quote
Victoryyyyyyyy. Serves him right.
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:53 am Reply with quote
All the Vic stans were saying to let the courts decide, right? So now they'll accept this outcome...right?
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:54 am Reply with quote
@TheMorry no. If you actually knew the facts you would know that Funimation betrayed Vic and punishing him over false accusations.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:03 am Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
@TheMorry no. If you actually knew the facts you would know that Funimation betrayed Vic and punishing him over false accusations.

OMG there’s still supporters for this idiot around? If you want to know the “facts” all you need to do is read the court depositions. Its there in black and white, including from Vics own mouth!

The guy has been a creaper from the get go and it goes way back to his church going days where he used to prey on young naive girls.

Last edited by ScruffyKiwi on Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:05 am Reply with quote
SciasSlash wrote:
The case is about whether or not accusing him of sexual assault or referring to him as a sexpest is defamation, and it has been proven multiple times with extremely sufficient evidence that there was reasonable grounds to accuse him of sexual misconduct, or suspect him of it. A statement can only be considered defamation if it is provably false, or if there is no reason to believe it is true. Basically, they don't have to prove without a shadow of a doubt that Mignogna did these things, just that they have reason to suspect that he did. The evidence they have of that is pretty airtight.

That's not what defamation suits are about. Winning or losing does not prove guilt or innocence. That's only for criminal trials.

Anti-SLAPP laws are all about protecting people's right to freedom of speech against people using litigation and financial burden to silence their critics. Otherwise we'd see a lot of companies, celebrities, and politicans suing people over bad reviews or online insults and trolling which would be a waste of time and money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9