• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
By the Grace of the Gods (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote

Season 1: By the Grace of the Gods (TV)
Season 2: By the Grace of the Gods (TV 2)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 12 volumes, written by Roy, illustrated by Ririnra)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Maho Film

Genres: fantasy, slice of life

Themes: isekai, iyashikei

Plot Summary: One day, the life of middle-aged Japanese businessman Ryoma Takebayashi came to a rather sudden and disappointing end. Ryoma had never had a blessed life, but after his death, three great gods sought his cooperation and reincarnated him as a child in another world with swords and magic.

Receiving a most cordial and divine welcome from the gods, Ryoma decides to live leisurely on his own in the forest for the time being. Working diligently at magic and hunting, Ryoma's greatest passion comes to be researching his tamed slimes. Training a variety of slimes (some newly discovered), the curtain rises on this easygoing life fantasy celebrating a second life with kind people in another world.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: October 4, 2020 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Hulu

Season 2: January 8, 2023 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 12 episodes
Season 2: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well, going from the abused employee of a "black company" to living a carefree life taming slimes is certainly a nice change of pace. Judgying by the ED there's gonna be a lot of animal girls in Ryoma's future, lucky dog. Well be checking out some more of this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
My brother has been pretty excited about this show, and I can see being into it too. Stuff I am seeing is saying that it is a slice of life, so it might be one of those shows that goes more into application of the powers outside of battle.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote
I'm just imagining what a reviewer would be thinking if this show had gotten weekly review status.

"This week our hero cleared up a trash dump and then moved on to cleaning the communal toilets. The stink was so bad that it caused a demonic miasma. Side story of bureaucrats determining embezzlement charges.
*sigh*"

Impressive, I guess, that it did this story completely straight-faced. No toilet humor ... no humor at all.

The end section about thinking about his black site job and the death of his mother was touching though. You know, the last three minutes .

This show... brain not required.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Screw the slimes, I wanna see more of the animal girls!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Screw the slimes, I wanna see more of the animal girls!

Okay.

In context of this picture, Tomoko misunderstood her cousin and thought that she was a furry, so she looked this up on the computer which made her cousin think that Tomoko was the furry.

I liked the animal girls too, but I will say that I thought it a bit odd that out of the group of adventurers, pretty much every beast person was a woman, such that there were I think about four of them, all women. But a usual fare for anime.
notthatguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
This is literally the Almighty janitor; the TV series.

Guy working for a black company dies, presumably of stress, being overworked, and maybe an aneurysm/vascular malformation and then becomes a child slime tamer/adventurer who uses his extremely powerful magical talents to be… a janitor, and then a small time laundry entrepreneur.

If you think any of this is played for comedic effect, like he uses his custodial services to save the world, it’s not. He cleans things and people in his new world who aren’t used to modern hygiene and sanitation are extremely happy that he does.

He is also very happy that for the first time in his existence many people appreciate him and love him. Which is kind of sad… I guess.

Even the episode where he sets up the laundry, and he’s given the creepy twins as employees, you think that maybe they are there to sabotage him, or report him to the guild, no. They are efficient, kind, courteous workers who help him start a successful small business. That’s it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So it ends at a "see you another time", where Ryoma and Eliaria will separate for some time. My thoughts being that it would probably mark a time skip in the source material, where Ryoma probably mentally more becomes his body's age like had been implied, and they could get away with making a romance of slightly older versions not so creepy.

I think that there are some long and short ways to talk about this show. A short way is that I think it falls a bit short in places, it can be alright but I also think there are a number of places that could be improvements. I had just in another thread talked about how this is the second or third show produced by Maho Film, being shared with I'm Standing on a Million Lives, both are not really amazing, but I think there is potential for improvement. Looking at the director, one of his few series director roles was In Another World With My Smartphone, and I do think there has been a markedly better improvement.. But I also understand there is some element to the original author, and from talking to my brother and sister they said that they were enjoying the manga, but maybe some level of disappointment with the anime.

The show is generally soft fluff, that I think could have improvements in making the small worldbuilding feel more engaging. Things like cleaning the toilets were pretty interesting, I think that focus over just an overpowered protagonist was the more interesting part, and it just has too much of a soft edge to it that it feels a bit dull in parts. This is hardly an exact comparison, but I think of something like Goblin Slayer, which as a whole is a total shift from this series in dark tones, but there were things like their environments that felt very defined. You could almost imagine that series transitioning into talking about the sewers under the city and cleaning methods and stuff. I understand if a lower key show really could not do that though.

I also got rather bothered that Ryoma was told he was hiring someone who were apparently good at the business side of things, and then those twins just did whatever he had set up. I think it would have actually been interesting if the twins had something to contribute in making his business run better, that they maybe told him something like buying armor that would be thrown away to clean them. Or question him on his choice of providing his amazing service for a low price, when a business mind will tell you that certain rich customers might not even pay unless you charged them a higher price for what might seem a more extravagant service, even if there would functionally be no difference. Like what kind of noble would buy the same thing that a peasant could afford? Him being unchallenged on whatever it was he decided to charge just feels a little irresponsible.

But the show is not all bad, it was cute and nice and breezy watch that could be an easy fantasy to watch without getting angsty. It was all good vibes. My rating will be Decent (6/10), not amazing, but different enough to feel like I did not lose my time.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
So, that was the end of the second season. It was not a bad but it was also not good and I would certainly call it stale. There was not much adventuring, character development or any big surprises to speak of. Most of the time not much of anything was going on.

It also did not help that the animation quality was meh and it felt like sound effects and music were missing. There were quite a few moments were characters were just facing each other without any movement or emotion and said their lines with no other sound going on (which is especially jarring during a festival).

There were some fun moments and it is a relaxing anime, but I would not tune in for a third season.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 12 (finale) But the show is not all bad, it was cute and nice and breezy watch that could be an easy fantasy to watch without getting angsty. It was all good vibes. My rating will be Decent (6/10), not amazing, but different enough to feel like I did not lose my time.

That seems to be a real theme with a lot of the final episode comments I've been seeing.

I generally remember anime seasons by the favorite shows that I watched. When I think back to last fall, it was the Chainsaw Man season, for example, and I have to mentally squint a little to place the other anime around it. Lessee...Eminence in Shadow debuted at the same time, right? I think I watched a lot of anime on Saturday, like The Little Lies We All Tell...

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to remember this season for a particular anime, though I really got enthusiastic about at least 3 of the new ones, and My Hero Academia and Is It Wrong To Pick UP Girls in a Dungeon both continued to make solid strides toward reclaiming their places in my heart.

But nope. I'm going to remember winter 2023 anime season as the one with the feels.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:55 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (season finale)

I made strides this Winter season to cut out a lot of shows that I was unlikely to watch, which meant a lot of sequel seasons I just didn't pick up. I did however continue this show, I think because unlike others I don't remember anything offensive, part of that not really bad thing I said about the first season. But really there wasn't really anything good here either, and to me it kind of felt even more toothless than the first season.

I think that I remember in the first season that at least Ryoma had to do things like build contacts with not much of a livelihood yet, and at least had the relationship with the girl. But as smurky turkey said this season was just stale. Ryoma already had contacts, so none of the ones really felt like a substantial increase from before. And the girl was mostly to the point I think she was kind of pointless for what she was in, and no person felt like they really took her place as a real friend.

To be fair, if there was something I was to remember this season, it might be that he opened a second shop elsewhere, which he can't be at both, but that still didn't feel like it hit as much as it should. If there was meant to be an escalation, none of the conflicts really felt weighty, and if there was companions none of the characters felt like his equal. I grew kind of bored of him continuing to be perfect, and his even charm to everyone. Eliaria did get some companions that felt on her level, but that episod was kind of random for the rest of the season.

My rating is going to be Not really good (4/10), doesn't really matter that it wasn't bad, it just didn't leave much of an impression in general. Perhaps it looks worse to me because I cut out everything that would have been worse?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:04 pm Reply with quote
It certainly didn't do anything special, but it provided me with a weekly feel-good vibe.

I actually went back and rewatched the first season a couple weeks ago. It was a little better. One noticeable difference is that the first season focused more on his dreadful previous life. You remember the episode where he was having one of his happy experiences and it suddenly goes into the sad experience of his mother dying? I think that's also the one where he breaks down crying when he realizes he has people worried about him coming home late. Yeah, it had more stuff like that.

This season could have done a little more with that. At some point I believe it was mentioned in passing that his father was "abusive" to him as a child, but the only details it focused on in this season was that he told him he had no skill making or using swords and made him give it up. It didn't go into the actual "abuse."

So, if more are made, I'll watch more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1