• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - "We Have Odin Sphere and Final Fantasy Tactics At Home"

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
VN's are a format I only really dabble in, so I appreciate the additional coverage. Helps me decide which ones seem interesting, since they rarely generate much buzz on their own.

I'll probably get Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 (or whatever the heck the silly title is,) though I doubt I'll play it too terribly much. Partly because I'm already learning/trying to improve in Strive. But I do believe in fiscally rewarding good dev behavior, just as much as I believe in fiscally punishing the bad. And updating older games to have good netcode definitely strikes me as good.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:10 pm Reply with quote
VN news is always cool, although I don't even have time to finish all the ones I already own. Picked up that JP Switch edition of Fata Morgana last summer and still haven't even found a spare moment to boot it up.

More rollback updates for old Guilty Gear is always good news, especially since I already have Rev 2 sitting in my Steam account.

Quote:
while the likes of Muramasa: The Demon Blade hasn't been seen since the Wii and PS Vita (and the Vita DLC was, to my knowledge, never ported back to the Wii).

It definitely wasn't, unfortunately. Aside from the fact that porting something made with the Vita's higher resolution and widescreen visuals (not to mention the gameplay system overhauls that version got) would probably have been a pain, I don't think it was even possible to release new Wii titles by that point. Plus, the change of international publishers likely would have made a port Japan-only even if it could have happened. Which sucks, because the DLC is probably better than either version of the base game.

It remains a crying shame that Oboro Muramasa isn't more widely available in some form. A Switch version would be nice, since it's basically the Vita 2, although a PC port would likely have more longevity.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:37 pm Reply with quote
As a huge Vanillaware fan(I've bought all their games beginning with Muramasa on Wii, even on multiple systems) I'll give Sword of the Vagrant a go. It certainly has the look and gameplay style down, though not quite the same charm.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I await the adventures of Pepsi-chan in Engage. After several games with branching paths and hefty stories, it's no wonder Intelligent Systems wanted to do something more lighthearted and sillier. I also find it funny that Alfred is voiced by Finn Wolfhard's brother.

As for Microsoft, it just irks me how they do that and are STILL trying to buy ActiBlizz. If they can't manage their own, current studios properly then how in the world are they supposed to run a new acquisition? It's pathetic
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By the time you read this, Guilty Gear Xrd:Rev 2 will have been updated with rollback netcode! I look forward to it on PS3, PS4, and Steam.

Yeah, about that, its only PC/Steam. I don't see it happening on PS3/PS4 if they want to break cross-play for those versions, which I don't see ASW doing.
notcurlybrace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:04 am Reply with quote
oh hi Izuna

always glad to see her nowadays, even if she'll never get another game
makes me happy people still remember my OG waifu :')
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Anne is so cute she hides in a chest. daw also she is the next loc lightening rod because pedos. ugh
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While we may not have an exact release date for the digital version of the game, we know that it'll be coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch sometime later this year.

??? I'm pretty sure this game has been out on the Switch Eshop for like a month now. In fact, I just saw it on sale.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:04 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Quote:
While we may not have an exact release date for the digital version of the game, we know that it'll be coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch sometime later this year.

??? I'm pretty sure this game has been out on the Switch Eshop for like a month now. In fact, I just saw it on sale.

Right you are, it's the PS5 version that's still incoming. Thank you for the correction!
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:37 am Reply with quote
Another darling game from Brazil was Chroma Squad, a loving take on tokusatsu that was nearly stomped out by the buzzkills at Saban, to the point that the end all solution was for the game to add "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers."
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:
Another darling game from Brazil was Chroma Squad, a loving take on tokusatsu that was nearly stomped out by the buzzkills at Saban, to the point that the end all solution was for the game to add "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers."

Yes! I can't believe I forgot Chroma Squad!

Chroma Squad is particularly important because there's an established Tokusatsu fandom in Brazil; they actually got localized episodes of Kamen Rider and Changeman back in the day. Didn't even have "Power Rangers" branding--it was pure "Super Sentai". This was a dick move from Saban, for sure.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 am Reply with quote
One of the odd reactions I have seen in comments about the Microsoft layoffs is questioning why gaming news sites/channels are focusing on that and not talking much about Amazon or Google. Considering Microsoft is a much bigger player in the gaming industry, and those layoffs have affected development studios specifically, it should be pretty obvious. Plus, Microsoft announced this after spending the last year trying to convince all sorts of regulators to let it spend $69 billion on Activision.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:29 am Reply with quote
Many big tech companies over-hired during the pandemic, in order to meet the needs when so many people suddenly required to work remotely and use tech services

And now that's gone, plus with the Fed wanting to slow inflation by tightening monetary policy, resulting in this current job market correction

But the good news is that the US job market (especially tech) has been surprisingly resilient throughout all these global crises the last couple years. Even with the threat of recession, there's still more job openings than people looking for jobs, and the market keeps adding jobs (just not as bullish as before - exactly what the Fed wants). It is indeed a weird situation. Yet that means tech workers would get a good severance package, then find another job within months

AiddonValentine wrote:

As for Microsoft, it just irks me how they do that and are STILL trying to buy ActiBlizz. If they can't manage their own, current studios properly then how in the world are they supposed to run a new acquisition? It's pathetic

Because they let the new acquisitions pretty much run on their own as pre-acquisition. That's the lesson they learned from acquiring Mojang Studio (Minecraft), LinkedIn, and GitHub:

"How Minecraft and Mojang taught Xbox how to buy studios - Xbox's new studios: “Things have been almost exactly the same, just without the terror of going out of business”

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/how-minecraft-and-mojang-taught-xbox-how-to-buy-studios

Quote:
Buying companies is easy, but integrating them is incredibly hard, and Microsoft is no stranger to acquisitions gone wrong. Picking up seven new businesses and trying to get them working within a large organisation seems like a herculean task fraught with risk.

She continues: "And how Matt integrated Mojang really helped set the stage for how Xbox acquired and integrated all of the additional studios. Before, Microsoft acquired companies in a specific way. And this not only set the foundation for additional game studios, but when you look at LinkedIn and GitHub, they also have this minimally integrated approach. That really was something that Mojang set the foundation for."

Limited integration -- or "unplugged studios" -- is the strategy of allowing developers to effectively stay as they are, only with the financial firepower and support of the larger business. This idea proved attractive to many of the new acquisitions.

"Things have been almost exactly the same, just without the terror of going out of business all the time," says Double Fine boss Tim Schafer.

"It's important to leave [the studios] alone for as long as possible, until they've got something that can walk on its own"

That's a big reason the studios agreed to be acquired by Microsoft - that they know Microsoft would leave them alone for the most part

(In fact, there's also now some pushback - that Microsoft is too hands-off, that MS needs to crack the whip a little and put some discipline into the studios getting things done on a more timely manner)

And that's how it's gonna be with Activision Blizzard. But with the big hope that MS would get rid of Kotick soon afterwards, even if they have to give him a large golden parachute (that's pretty much the only way to finally get rid of Kotick, without that golden parachute, he'd stay as CEO - but what other company can afford to give him a lot of money to simply go away?) and also that they clean up AB's work culture

(MS already started that by staying out of the way letting AB workers to unionize, unlike the current AB management. MS' deal with the union only covers AB, but MS still extended the same to Bethesda workers to unionize, even though Bethesda is not part of the deal with union. That's why the workers union is in full support of MS acquiring AB)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1