• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Dangers in My Heart (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:47 am Reply with quote

Season 01: (The) Dangers in My Heart (TV)
Season 02: (The) Dangers in My Heart (TV 2)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 8 volumes, by Norio Sakurai)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Shin-Ei Animation

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, slice of life

Themes: coming-of-age, school

Plot Summary: Kyotaro Ichikawa, a boy barely clinging to the bottom rung of his school’s social ladder, secretly believes he’s the tortured lead in some psychological thriller. He spends his days dreaming up ways to disrupt his classmates’ peaceful lives and pining after Anna Yamada, the class idol. But Kyotaro’s not nearly the troubled teen he pretends to be…and it turns out Anna’s a bit odd herself.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 1, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Season 02: January 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Pending

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: 13 episodes

Total: 25 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen caps)

- Season 01

Episode 01: I Was Stolen Away
Episode 02: I Died
Episode 03: I Want to Hug You
Episode 04: I Have a Problem

Episode 05: We Got Split Up
Episode 06: I Melted It
Episode 07: We Swapped Places
Episode 08: I Had a Dream

Episode 09: I Hate Yamada
Episode 10: We Walked Slowly
Episode 11: We're a Bit Alike
Episode 12: I Wanted to Be Seen

- Season 02

Episode 13 (S02E01):
Episode 14 (S02E02):
Episode 15 (S02E03):
Episode 16 (S02E04):

Episode 17 (S02E05):
Episode 18 (S02E06):
Episode 19 (S02E07):
Episode 20 (S02E08):

Episode 21 (S02E09):
Episode 22 (S02E10):
Episode 23 (S02E11):
Episode 24 (S02E12):
Episode 25 (S02E13):

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:58 pm; edited 22 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

This seems like a deeply weird show... not that that is necessarily a bad thing. There is something conceptually creepy about a kid fantasizing about killing a female classmate but oddly enough it comes across as basically harmless. I have a feeling I'll be rating this show as Weird, But I Didn't Lose My Time...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:07 am Reply with quote
If I've got this right...and I well may not...this dude isn't really a psychopath. He's a shy, powerless, alienated dweeb, and fantasizing about being a predator who doesn't care about making human connections is his way of compensating. It's a very specific form of chuunobyou-ing.

But in reality, he cares about social norms and people's feelings and is actually pretty sensitive. I think?

And this walking disaster/popular girl is challenging a lot of the notions his fantasy life is built upon and forcing him to confront some of his bs.

Maybe? Not sure how I feel about this one yet.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:16 am Reply with quote
Apparently the cure for dark thoughts is simple friendship. Who knew?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:39 am Reply with quote
I'm genuinely impressed by it as Dangers in my Heart dares to take on a realism that most projects wouldn't go near: People are icky. At least three times I thought "I can't belief this show went that far"... and two of them relate to the overweight girl. Another one for the toilet paper tube and then there's Anna's eating habits.

It's funny that this show has its warts in the open but underneath hides a sweet innocence... that's just waiting to get dragged out and killed.
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:02 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this, I'm into the cringe stuff and the romance part is cute. One big problem for me is this chick is supposed to be in middle school? She looks like she was held back like, 5 years. If they had made her just super pretty instead of vastly over developed I'd be happy as a clam. I'm fine with my anime characters being creepers, but when it's the creators themselves... I'm giving this one a hard pass. If you're into overly sexualized middle schoolers though, this is going to be a very enjoyable anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:56 am Reply with quote
There's no question that Anna is unrealistically proportioned but based on the first episode, I don't find her to be "overly sexualized." That might come, of course. I do find it kind of funny that you can get past the male lead fantasizing about killing people no problem but it's Anna rack that drives you out. Laughing
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Lol yea, that does seem funny, but thinking about killing and actually doing it are two vastly different things, so that doesn't bother me so much. I say "overly sexualized" in part because of her rack, but there's also the fact that other boys are willing to manhandle her publicly to get her social media, she's a magazine model in middle school (which might be the norm in Japan, but I can't remember seeing a middle schooler as a magazine model), and the male lead spent all night gratifying himself to said magazine, and base on it's continued existence in his bed we can reasonably infer that will continue to happen.

That particular aspect of this anime creeps me out a bit, so I'm going to move on to some of the other 20-odd anime this season that won't bother me that way. That all aside, the general premise, and it's presentation are awesome, and I would totally recommend it to people who aren't getting creepy vibes from it! Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm here for the creepy vibes! Laughing
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
For better or worse, the characters are all fairly realistic in how flawed and sometime plain nasty people are. That realism makes for an interesting premise and hopefully a bit less of a predictable story. As for our creepy main character: nearly every teenage boy is a walking bomb of hormones and dumb decisions, again, it is all a lot more realistic than in many other anime.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 01: I Was Stolen Away

Summary: Kyotaro lends his box-cutter to troubled classmate Anna, who exhibits odd behavior. He finds himself helping her and is surprised when she knows which desk is his. He buys a magazine featuring her and helps her by distracting a harasser.

Comments: I will agree with the majority and also say the characterizations seem interesting. I didn't think about killing things when I was an adolescent teen, but I wasn't all happy-pappy about socializing a bunch, either.

And I definitely had my share of puberty problems in the romance department. Hopefully these two can, at least, develop some kind of platonic relationship and save Kyotaro from turning into a future serial killer.

Art and animation are a bit meh, but I've definitely seen worse. If the slice of life parts are written and executed well enough, that'd be enough for me.

Screen Caps:

Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 am Reply with quote
Well, personally, I don't find the idea that an adolescent who's crotch deep in puberty might touch himself in an impure manner all that surprising. Adolescents are a mess. A big, horny, confused, oily, hormonal mess with too many intense emotions running through their intersection. I'm less creeped out by an anime that portrays teenagers like that than some movie or TV show where 20 to 30 year old models pretend to be teenagers and have lots of sexy sex while acting mature and blasé about it.

I really don't think this kid is a Dexter in the making because he's not out there torturing squirrels and whatnot. Asshats might be made, but aren't psychopaths born?

But I'm not really sure because anime shows don't have to make sense or be consistent.
So, yeah. 3 weeks.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 02: I Died

Summary: Anna brings a snack to school that must be mixed with water, but Kyotaro finds her using a bowl, increasing his urge to kill her. On a hot day, Kyotaro sees her wearing a swimsuit instead of a bra, giving him an erection. The class does a haunted house and Anna notices her name on a tombstone. Kyotaro and Anna end up alone by a display of town maps, revealing their homes are one mile apart. Anna takes a selfie on Kyotaro's phone.

Comments: The romance continues to bud from Kyotaro's side. I feel it's much more apparent in him than Anna. But she seems to have some obvious affection, albeit much more nuanced. At this point, the violent urges in episode 01 feel like such an afterthought, I may as well consider this a full-blown romantic drama.

Some of the borderline fan service is also quite subtle. It's much more innocent and sneaky rather than in-your-face, which I admire them for showing the restraint to do. Thinking about it, now, the ho-hum art style isn't super-pretty, but it's effective enough to get the job done. And I feel that's also reflective of the storytelling.

I also like that, while Anna is being a good person and friend, she's also (maybe) unknowingly making Kyotaro more and more infatuated with her. But like many teens, he just doesn't know how to handle it, because most kids don't know a lot of things, especially about how to handle romantic feelings. This show is starting to grow on me.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Instead of having a nosebleed, Kyotaro went to the boy's room and, uh, relieved himself. Which would seem to me a remarkable amount of self restraint because by his play by play, she was using her... to rub against his... Uh, I better rewatch it...

Oh. Oh no. When she touched him, he ejaculated and he later cleaned himself up. OK, that makes more sense. This show had me worried for a second that it was holding back. "Romantic feelings"? That's way too pure for this show.

Then there's Hara and the gravestones. I don't think she can claim it was a common name that occurred to her when she was just thinking "Must be nice to be thin like Yamada".

Also, I'm still waiting for that shoe to drop on the model that binges. How dark are they willing to go?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: I Want to Hug You

Summary: Kyotaro goes to the infirmary and finds Anna with a stomach-ache. He passes her a drawing of his manga heroine. When Anna injures her nose, he follows her to the infirmary, determined to kill her, but when she keeps her drawing, he realizes he loves her. He leaves tissues as an anonymous gift, but is disappointed when she uses them to clean snack crumbs.

Comments: Lots of infatuation from Kyotaro in this one. I remember being in middle school and was smitten by a couple of girls myself. Being a kid going through puberty, I certainly didn't put as much into the logic of why I liked a girl. But if I thought she was smart, pretty, had a nice personality, and would be my friend, you're darn' tootin' I'm gonna' have a crush on her!

Oh, the days of trying too hard to be nice to a girl so she might romantically reciprocate the affection. It was a giant mess, I can tell you that much. I wouldn't say I was going to the level of smelling their jackets. But the little things like sneaking over and pretending to do something else so you can get their attention was always my fallback pickup tactic.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7