• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Dangers in My Heart (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I am not seeing it either, for one because she seems not nearly crafty or particularly smart enough to weave such a web. Furthermore, if she was that devious then there are plenty of other boys that she could use for such purposes. Instead she always goes to Kyotaro who, if we are being honest, is not really the most worthwhile choice on paper.

I will agree that Yamada can be unclear with her communication though. Still, she is doing 95% of the legwork so far.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. Yamada's only "crime" is not realizing just how deeply Kyotaro's insecurity and lack of confidence goes. And since she does not have access to his inner thoughts, how can she be expected to understand that? She's just doing what any normal girl would do and drops pretty big hints. It's not her fault that Kyotaro is so neurotic that he can't even wrap his head around the concept that a fox like Yamada could possibly be interested in him.

Oh something I forgot to comment on: I was kind of surprised that Kobayashi was so easily fooled by Senpai Pickup Artist. I thought she was a pretty sharp cookie. I guess it just goes to show that when emotions are in the picture, common sense can go out the window.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:16 pm Reply with quote
In the case of Kobayashi it might be due to emotion, but it can also be due to every guy trying to hit on Yamada and ignoring her. I might be reading too much into it, though it could be that she does not really get much male attention (especially compared to model Yamada who is always close by) and even less from attractive fuckboys like orange head.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think you and I are thinking along the same lines, even if we are wording it differently. I mean, it was pretty obvious that Mr. Pickup's invitation to Kobayashi was merely to catch Yamada in the dragnet and I think under normal circumstances she would have seen through him. However, I think he makes her heart go a little pitty-pat and that "emotion" over-rides her common sense. I mean, that's how *I* get tons of chicks to do my bidding... on account of being so studly and all.

Wow, even I wasn't able to type that with a straight face.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:17 am Reply with quote
Anna pulled in Kyo in close so it'd look like they were kissing to the guy trying to pick Anna up.

It's at the 12 minute mark, it's why the episode is called "I Hate Yamada". You did see it, right? I'd say Kyo is right that she used him but I think he's wrong in his final conclusion that Anna is not that kind of girl. However, I'd say it's more instinctive on her part rather than a scheme... like how she uses her girlfriends to cover her flanks when they walk together.

It's a larger problem than I thought though, seeing how she believed Kyotaro was mad at her for close contact, not because she did it for the sake of an audience. Hmm, something's off here.... acting... manipulation...

Oh, she wouldn't do that now, would she, use emotional warfare... but why does the phrase on the tissues, "Feel Free to Use", stick out to me?
OH.
Forget the instinctive part.
Hey, if dark and brooding Kyotaro can be good inside, it's fair that bubbly and giggly Anna can have a dark side.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:14 am Reply with quote
To take one moment in time that isn't even cut and dry as opposed to looking at the totality of the 9 episodes we've seen so far just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Look, you're free to to examine the nine episodes and if the conclusion you come to after watching all that material is that Yamada considers Kyotaro a "boy toy" to shield her from other guys and that she spends half her time leading him on and the rest treating him like a pet for her convenience, there is literally nothing I can say to you. I consider that interpretation almost laughably offbase and it wouldn't be worth the effort to try and rebut it since, figuratively speaking, we're not even on the same planet. I can say confidently that you'd be in a very small minority of people who feel that way.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to picture an open and clueless Anna using Kyotaro in such a fashion but not understanding why he'd be angry. She knew what it would look like from the doorway, she knew how it would play out.

Anna thought Kyotaro was mad at close proximity but he should be ok with being used? What a weird girl.

"That's a normal action. Kyotaro's problem is that he thinks he's not worthy of her attention. Of course she wants your line ID!"

Meanwhile Anna's starting rumors that their time spent together in the library is for making out. And it's easier to ignore it than try to understand it, because it doesn't mesh with what we know about her? Which is what, exactly? Her sense of Entitlement... like bringing in snacks to eat in secret, after knowing it's against the rules, even after she was caught. Her desire for Attention... moving around the magazine she appeared.

We know the image she projects, we don't know her heart. We don't even know what her acting is like because that part was cut.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Nah, we know what Anna's all about. You don't. Again, I have zero desire to engage on this topic with you because if you haven't figured out Anna from the primary source - the show itself - then clearly I'm not going to be able to get through to you, either.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I guess Anna could have earnestly wanted to show prettyboy who she liked. Not using Kyotaro so much as taking advantage of the situation. She may even be clueless in not realizing that he doesn't genuinely know that she likes him. She came to see him, she GAVE HIM FOOD! How could he not know that she likes him? Nah, he doesn't like being close- that must be it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Anna's starting rumors that their time spent together in the library is for making out. And it's easier to ignore it than try to understand it, because it doesn't mesh with what we know about her?

I think it is easy enough for us to understand her actions. He’s been bailing her out of trouble numerous times already out of his own volition. She took a risk because she was getting pulled away from him by the others. She acted like they’re closer than they are because she actually likes him, she wants him to know it, and she wants to know if he likes her too.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09: I Hate Yamada

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
I think it is easy enough for us to understand her actions. He’s been bailing her out of trouble numerous times already out of his own volition. She took a risk because she was getting pulled away from him by the others. She acted like they’re closer than they are because she actually likes him, she wants him to know it, and she wants to know if he likes her too.

Was Anna getting pulled away from Kyotaro? Pick Up guy and his girlfriend know both Anna and Kyotaro would be in the library together so I think it's more a case her friends thought Anna would more likely hang with guys of her league while she wanted Kyotaro's data but didn't want to come out and say it.

Anna's very passive with other when it comes to her own wants, especially with those with authority over her but .. no one's going to like how I'd finish that thought. So I'll just ask a question:

Why was Anna wearing heels on their first date when she already towers over the guy?

Also, Anna knew Pick Up guy was out to get with her but she didn't know about how he was willing to go through Kobayashi or didn't care? Nobody that aware can also be that clueless.

I don't even think it's bad, I just think it's wrong that the title can't also apply to Anna because she has to be Kyotaro's Magic Pixie Dreamgirl.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:45 am Reply with quote
I am trying to see it from your viewpoint, but I am having a hard time doing so, especially after just seeing the newest episode. Yamada has plenty of faults, no argument there and she does things without thinking at times too. I just do not see a calculating persona behind her smile.

Kyotaro once bailed her out from mr fuckboy (in a very awkward way) and when she was confronted again with said fuckboy she sought cover behind Kyotaro whom she trusts. I look at that more as acting on impulse than anything else. As for the date, you would only put that much effort and energy into someone if you are interested. Hell, only someone truly interested would put up with how wishy washy Kyotaro was during most of the date.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Most of this episode was hard for me to watch. Constantly having to bang my head at Kyotaro's cluelessness left me with a monster headache. "Duuuuuh, I guess she forgot this is Christmas Eve day, duuuuuuuh." Bang. "Duuuuuh, why is she asking to meet at Shibuya station instead of the one closest to us, duuuuuuuh." Bang.

And then watching him mentally agonizing over all the "mistakes" he felt he was making... is this supposed to be funny? Entertaining? I guess that's the idea. In any case, the episode did finally make up for all that crap and gave us a lovely image of them walking slowly and quietly hand in hand. Surely even Concrete Head can't ignore the significance of that, can he? Ah, who am I kidding? Of course he can.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I did cringe a fair bit during the episode. Even worse though, it is once again Yamada who is doing near all of the legwork to make things happen. At some point the excuse of being shy/uncertain of the other has run its course and you have to step up even a tiny bit when the other is doing that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7