• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Korean Webtoon Accused of Using AI Images, Tracing Mushoku Tensei Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:21 am Reply with quote
I can see some resemblance but to say it's traced is a little bit too much lol
skafreak51

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:28 am Reply with quote
AI is going to inevitably flood comics, and while there might be a discussion whether it’s okay or not to use it for specific things like finishing details, it shouldn’t be allowed on a service where others are not using it, or at the very least, have “an generated” plastered all over it.

At the end of the day, my fear is AI is going to encourage the lazy and greedy to pump out content in a world where there’s already being too much content pumped out. It’s going to make it impossible to shift through everything, trying to find the stuff you like, and it’s going to make it so that creations from people with genuine passion get hidden in the mix.

Art of all kinds is going to be so overflooded in years to come and it scares me. I worry we’ll get to the point of Wall-E where there’s either so much shit or everything we watch or read is generated specifically for us that literally no one can relate anymore because everyone is in their own world.

Just let creators create and screw off with AI, really.

And I’m totally okay with referencing something like Groot if you feel like it, but if you’re using AI for background characters I’ll assume 100% it was the AI and the creator didn’t even bother to look if anything copyrighted came up.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:33 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
AI is going to inevitably flood comics, and while there might be a discussion whether it’s okay or not to use it for specific things like finishing details, it shouldn’t be allowed on a service where others are not using it, or at the very least, have “an generated” plastered all over it.

At the end of the day, my fear is AI is going to encourage the lazy and greedy to pump out content in a world where there’s already being too much content pumped out. It’s going to make it impossible to shift through everything, trying to find the stuff you like, and it’s going to make it so that creations from people with genuine passion get hidden in the mix.

Art of all kinds is going to be so overflooded in years to come and it scares me. I worry we’ll get to the point of Wall-E where there’s either so much shit or everything we watch or read is generated specifically for us that literally no one can relate anymore because everyone is in their own world.

Just let creators create and screw off with AI, really.

And I’m totally okay with referencing something like Groot if you feel like it, but if you’re using AI for background characters I’ll assume 100% it was the AI and the creator didn’t even bother to look if anything copyrighted came up.

Also, there is no verified proof these AI programs aren't using copyrighted images. In order to create an AI anime generator, they have to train the program on hundreds, if not a thousand samples of images like the ones they want to produce. What are the odds that these software developers legit paid manga and anime artists to produce hundreds of samples? I think those odds are pretty much slim to zero.
LickUmDry69

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:13 am Reply with quote
This person is known for plagiarism and the admittance of using AI for touch-up just screams half truth, when it's just short of obvious this is more than touched up by AI. AI is trained using tons of examples and essentially creates intricate reimaginings of everything it's been trained on, literally nothing is original and essentially alterations to someone else's art so putting it simply to claim AI art as one's own is 100% plagiarizing anyone it was trained on. This person should be ostracized from the manga/manwha community for clearly being a grifter using other people's efforts to fuel his own talentless product.

AI is fun when using it for your own personal interests or for something like desktops or whatever but using it to steal art so you can recycle it into your own work is just pathetic and should be treated as nothing short of copyright infringement and a sign your a worthless "author", as people like Corridor have been examples of its just stealing others effort to make up for your own inability and little more than intellectual theft. This guy deserves a lifetime exile from the community do not support his "work" doing this sort thing to anyone who uses this cheat is the only way to prevent it being popularized and literally taking the soul out of the medium we enjoy.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
These don't really looked traced to me. Generic anime art is generic.

LickUmDry69 wrote:
AI is trained using tons of examples and essentially creates intricate reimaginings of everything it's been trained on

That bolded part is like 0% how it works though.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:23 pm Reply with quote
LickUmDry69 wrote:
This person is known for plagiarism and the admittance of using AI for touch-up just screams half truth, when it's just short of obvious this is more than touched up by AI. AI is trained using tons of examples and essentially creates intricate reimaginings of everything it's been trained on, literally nothing is original and essentially alterations to someone else's art so putting it simply to claim AI art as one's own is 100% plagiarizing anyone it was trained on. This person should be ostracized from the manga/manwha community for clearly being a grifter using other people's efforts to fuel his own talentless product.

AI is fun when using it for your own personal interests or for something like desktops or whatever but using it to steal art so you can recycle it into your own work is just pathetic and should be treated as nothing short of copyright infringement and a sign your a worthless "author", as people like Corridor have been examples of its just stealing others effort to make up for your own inability and little more than intellectual theft. This guy deserves a lifetime exile from the community do not support his "work" doing this sort thing to anyone who uses this cheat is the only way to prevent it being popularized and literally taking the soul out of the medium we enjoy.

>This person is known for plagiarism and the admittance of using AI for touch-up just screams half truth, when it's just short of obvious this is more than touched up by AI.

i bet you don't know the conditions of korean authors working on manhwa which are awful so don't think it was that bad he could have only tried to make it not close to mushoku's art
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:01 am Reply with quote
most webtoons always took ideas, designs from manga and anime. this is something can be found in almost any webtoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1