• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweet Reincarnation (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Sweet Reincarnation (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 23 volumes by Nozomu Koryu)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: SynergySP

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance

Themes: aristocracy, cooking, isekai, medieval, politics, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Pastry Mille Morteln, age 9, is both his father's heir and the reincarnation of an unfulfilled pastry chef. While he dreams of a land filled with sweet treats, there's a lot to be done first.

From learning how to fight, to controlling his new magical talents and doing his best to defend his village from bandits, and yet all he really wants to do is bake the perfect apple pie... Pastry Mille Morteln has his work cut out for him.

Air Date & Platform:
July 3, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Yes! Another fantasy title based around cooking!

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This is an isekai that I had a good feeling about, and with the bonus episode on the first day, I'm still feeling good about it. The person with an obsession takes their area of expertise into another world and uses it to impact society happens to be a sub-genre of isekai that I enjoy if it's done well, and personally, I think it's done pretty well here. I'm enjoying the way it's playing out - the way the MC is using his patisserie mindset to be an aspiring feudal lord, and the way his father and retainers are misinterpreting his motivations.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1 & 2

This is actually better than I expected except... Lord Casserole? Really? Oh, Japan. Anyway, setting that aside, I appreciate that this doesn't feel like a generic fantasy setting that somebody put about 5 minutes of thought into. Mind you, as a diabetic, I'm sure just watching the dessert stuff spikes my sugar level...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episodes 1 & 2 This is actually better than I expected except... Lord Casserole? Really?

It's all part of this series' complex symbolism. Like the opening segment, when the young baker died literally being crushed by the weight of his dreams...and yet, the confectionary was also a phoenix...oh, the humanity!

And "Casserole" represents the father's plight. Casseroles are dishes that can combine any number of strange ingredients, and he's the intersection between this boy from another world with strange ideas and a traditional feudal society with bells and whistles, as well as bandits and corrupt rulers. Did I say "The humanity!" already?

And as to the kid being named pastry, well...err....pastry is made of a dough of flour and baked...and ummm...the author of this anime was obviously baked while he/she was writing it?

(Oh, the humanity!)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:10 am Reply with quote
I feel like I have already seen so many of these "I am not a warrior/wizard a (mundane occupation)", that they are going to have to be a good example of applying that traits of that other thing to being a fantasy character. After the first two episodes, I can't say as of yet that it managed to do much to interestingly connect being a pâtissier to being a magic user or battle commander.

I am turned off for a fantasy show how well the reincarnated guy is taking the different treatment, and it really doesn't matter if it is something like historical accurate because it also so far had not much to say, even if it did have the spunky tomboy. And there is only so much some crossdressing can do, especially if it narratively acts as a punishment.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:03 am Reply with quote
A solid start. We have a very driven mc and a world that does not seem all that easy to become a pâtissier in. There are bandits to deal with and it probably won't be that long until nobles bring about some issues due to his high level of magic. I also wonder when and how much baking we will actually get. As is the theme with similar shows the unique wish of the mc usually gets pushed to the background to deal with all kinds of dangers and plots. Instead of a baking show with some otherworly action it seems to go the other way so far.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:36 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I also wonder when and how much baking we will actually get. As is the theme with similar shows the unique wish of the mc usually gets pushed to the background to deal with all kinds of dangers and plots. Instead of a baking show with some otherworly action it seems to go the other way so far.

Not sure how relevant this is to this show, but it seems to me that sugar beets ought to grow in most places where barley and beans and wheat are staple crops, and beet sugar should be as good as cane sugar from what I understand.

Anyhow, if baking is going to take a larger role, it'll probably have to start from the angle of making huge contributions to the local economy with all kinds of new edibles unless the show takes a time leap forward. That's what would motivate the father.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well, we did get a bit of baking in episode 3, so there is that I suppose. Otherwise episode 3 was more bandit slaying due to a truly moronic action by one of the kids. It ended well enough, but it could have gone badly very easily. That said, the boy in question was sentenced to marriage, so I think we can all agree that he has been punished enough.

Also, as expected, more noble trouble seems to be brewing.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:11 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Well, we did get a bit of baking in episode 3, so there is that I suppose.

Yup, I don't think this is going to be turning into a Feudal/Fantasy version of Food Wars any time soon. It looks like the focus of the theories will be Past---the main character - constantly having to deal with all those annoying abductions and assassination attempts while trying to make his culinary ambitions a parfait accompli.

Maybe the "sweets" aspect will kick it up a notch when that brunette (noble?) from the opening song arrives.

(Still liking the show for the key lime chiffon cake that it is.)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 showed that the replicate power is quite handy. Thinking about it, the power could be quite overpowered depending on what the limitations are. Given that Pas has a crazy amount of mana and he can use replicate at range he might be able to poison/weaken/afflict an entire army or at the very least a large group of people simultaneously. Pas also put some solid pressure on the noble lady this week since his rather poor region needs every gold coin it can get.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:14 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Episode 4 showed that the replicate power is quite handy. Thinking about it, the power could be quite overpowered depending on what the limitations are. .

I'm still trying to figure that out myself. He obviously can't replicate a gold coin or a cup of sugar or a lot of his problems would be over. But he can replicate magic skills that he sees, which is OP enough, and he can replicated nervous signals from one body to another? I forget, when he made that bandit feel like his face was burning, did it actually get burned? Or was the bandit just reexperiencing the situation?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:20 am Reply with quote
They showed the main bandit having an actual burned face due to the spell, so it is the status effect/wound that he is replicating onto others. That combined with his mana and being able to use the spell at range makes it potentially crazy dangerous.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 was more money making, in this case helping to facilitate a wedding make use of Pas's unique magic. After that we had some more work in the form of keeping the fiance safe from one or more nobles not wanting the marriage to take place. We also had a bit of baking talk here and there plus Pas trying to be sneaky in buying ingredients, the Sweet part of the series still kind of feels like an afterthought though. It reminds me of that one farming anime that dropped all things farming after the second episode.

I still like the series, yet it is a bit sad how little baking there is and I can also see the animation starting to drop her and there. In particular the amount of blank faces.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:56 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
while trying to make his culinary ambitions a parfait accompli.

Sweet. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
GINA, DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM!!!

(Although truth be told, I snickered too.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2