• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Synduality: Noir (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Season 01 (1st half): Synduality: Noir (TV)
Season 01 (2nd half): Synduality: Noir (TV 2)

Source: Mixed Media (created by the Bandai Namco Group)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: 8 bit

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction

Themes: androids, artificial intelligence, cyberpunk, dystopia, ecchi, mecha, mutants, post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary: The year is 2222. It has been years since Tears of the New Moon, a mysterious rain, poured and wiped out almost the entire human race. The poisonous rain gave birth to deformed creatures devouring humans, and humanity fled from the danger.

As means for survival, the humans then build an underground haven; Amasia. In this newly built dystopian city, in a pursuit of maintaining their existence, they run into an Artificial Intelligence named Magus. Not knowing how things will work between them, the story of how Humans and AI coinciding and trying to find their truths begin.

[-PlayStation.Blog, edited, via MAL]

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01 (1st half): July 11, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Disney+

Season 01 (2nd half): January 8, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Disney+

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01 (1st half): 12 episodes
Season 01 (2nd half): 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
----------------------------------

Maybe this is D+'s sci-fi followup to Heavenly Delusion for summer? 8 bit looked to have pretty good production for Blue Lock, so I think this has potential to do the same.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:49 am; edited 6 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I really did not expect this one so soon, looks interesting though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

This is only the third anime I've watched on Disney+. The other two are Summer Time Rendering and Heavenly Delusion. Based on this small sample size, imma gonna say that The Mouse has pretty fricken awesome taste in anime. Damn! This is balls out super cool SF setting and action. It rocks. It rolls. It's the poop. That is all.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that you enjoyed the first episode as much as I did!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Yah, this one was high energy and fun.

Complaints? Umm...little more CGI than I like, I guess. And this is one of those occasions where I'll be hoping for a dub to get here soon, cos those Hulu subtitles were ugly.

Questions? Why do they need some kind of co-pilot? Is there some kind of Darling in the Franxx thing going on (without the butt thrusting sex seat for pilots to position themselves in)?

But I enjoyed it all the way through. Cool apocalyptic world, likable spirit, and lotsa frenetic action. I'll be waiting to see what that grey haired boss lady wants to say to Tokio.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Having just watched the first two episodes I really like this. The setting is interesting and they are thankfully not explaining everything from the start with a huge info dump. The characters are fun and the action looks and sounds good. I also like the look of the whole thing. That said, some of the stuff they eat and drink looks pretty....not good.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:45 pm Reply with quote
You're lagging too, huh?

Episode 2 feels a little bit like it's falling into some predictable grooves. The protagonist developing a relationship with the not-human hot girl that he has to team up with in some kind of symbiotic fighting pair. The hot mystery girl coming with some kind of back history/mystery that's going to cause complications. The female who he has some complicated child hood friend relationship with jealously standing to the side eyeing events and alternately helping or getting in the way. I feel like I've seen it play out before in lots of other anime. .

But, I said it somewhere else, I'm okay with tropes so long as they're done well, and this show seems to be doing it pretty well. Having this gritty, apocalyptic world mostly represented by clean teenagers with good personalities makes it seem a little less high stakes, but that's okay. Fun can be fun, and the action is fun. I feel like I ought to say fun one more time just for the hell of it. And I like some of the little details with the world building.
Enjoying it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:41 am Reply with quote
So I guess this is sort of Eureka 7 x Chobits? Whatever, it's got Bandai written all over it, which is not a bad thing at all. I like all the merch-oriented designs of the mechs and transports. Neon colors, goofy, puppy-like profiles, graffiti panel skins - what's not to like? Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Oh yeah, this is Eye Candy Heaven for sure. It's the kind of show that makes me want to freeze the image just to see everything in all its glorious, colorful detail. I really like the characters a lot. I'm curious how douchebag Range's magus went from bored farm girl to hot, ojou-sama laughing tramp.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:45 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first two episodes, and I don't know what it is but something about the aesthetics is really selling itself to me. Things like the way too many colourful advertisements, the retro arcade games, the futuristic but post apocalyptic setting, the loud mouth female engineer, the robot woman who looks like a mix of 80s business aesthetics and way too gaudy where she ate normal looking produce like high class and treated the guys like animals. And that ridiculous pink couch.

My mind was going to Cyberpunk, not just the genre but the anime and game. There are the futuristic elements of cyberpunk here, but it was those extra bits high tech mixed with gaudy excess, and style that feels like it went out of favour and came back in again. I was playing the game last night and this was kind of reminding me of it just with more anime stuff instead of the swearing, tattoos and graphic violence.

Or who knows, this might just be me, I do know that it has a fair share of feast for the eyes, and maybe my mind is going back to one of the other anime on my mind recently that I remember that feeling. Kind of makes me hope that it will continue to be loud and ridiculous, instead of trying to be too safe.

An aside of a chronic personality flaw on my part, but they were mentioning that he had been unsuccessful getting Maria to return his feelings, right? I will just say that I have my own feelings of why a masculine acting woman who surrounds herself with a number of beautiful female robots, and was kicked out of a bar that I think I saw had hostess elements, might not be returning this dude's feelings. But anime is highly unlikely to actually go there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator is wearing yuri goggles again... I'm shocked - SHOCKED!!! - I tell ya... Wink
Ah, good ole OP... really loves the lezzies...

But seriously, I suppose you could be right about Maria, but I didn't pick up any yuri vibes from her. I got the impression that Range is a douchey stalker and that's why she didn't like him as opposed to simply not playing for that team.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:30 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, a game based on this universe is supposed to release after the anime. Seeing the world and setting being relatively interesting, I can see a Synduality mech action game working pretty well. As an aside, with both that and a new Armored Core this year there is plenty of mecha game action.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 showed more of the world/setting, in particular the high class pleasure city Desire Nest. No boing boing for the mc's though, there was some killing of Enders to do. We also met Schnee and masked man, him wearing a mask automatically makes me assume that he will turn into a vaillain at some point, but maybe that is not the case this time. Though, was there ever a mecha anime with a masked man that was not a villain/opponent?

Anyway, still really liking the anime due to the interesting setting, mecha action and quirky cast.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote
I just can't break the association of the buglike Enders with the Buggers of Ender's Game. smh Wish they'd given them a different name.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
We also met Schnee and masked man, him wearing a mask automatically makes me assume that he will turn into a villain at some point, but maybe that is not the case this time. Though, was there ever a mecha anime with a masked man that was not a villain/opponent?.

I didn't know masked men in Mecha anime was a thing. It's not usually my go to anime genre, though I have caught a few like Darling in the Fraanx and that ultra man style series that came out a few years ago...Dynaz something.

Anyway, the sword of justice dude seems obsessed to the point of not noticing much else outside his obsession, but he doesn't really give off the vibe of someone willing to do despicable things for his idea of a greater good. He seems more like someone who's going to show up to be mysterious and cool every now and then while gradually leading the protagonist down the plot path.

He does seem like someone who's easy to dupe though, and God knows I've been wrong before.

Still trying to figure out the deal with Magus (Magi?). Some of them have wildly different personalities, and Tokio's seemed downright defective this episode. Are they just humans with cybernetic bells and whistles? AI servants with a lot of wiggle room? Full citizens? Can they break this contract thing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4