• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Family Circumstances of the Irregular Witch (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:32 pm Reply with quote

(The) Family Circumstances of the Irregular Witch (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 5 volumes, by Piroya)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: A-Real

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Themes: family, gag humor, sorcery, witches

Plot Summary: Alissa is a witch who lives alone in a forest. One day, she finds a human baby, and she names her Viola. Alissa raises Viola for 16 years, but Viola grows beyond even Alissa's imagination. The comedy series focuses on the parent-and-child relationship where appearances are deceiving as to who is the parent and who is the child.

Air Date & Platform:
October 1, 2023 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I'll check this out to see if it is actually funny. Premise reminds me of the British show Absolutely Fabulous (Ab Fab) where the teenage daughter was far more mature and responsible than her boozy, slutty (nttiawwt) mother and her mother's equally boozy, slutty friend.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Looks pretty fun, I can always appreciate the combination of humor and magic.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, that was okayish I guess? The gags got a chuckle or two out of me, but that was it since most of the jokes are kind of repetitive already. The characters are also nothing to write home about so far.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Didn't finish the first episode. Not funny enough. Busy season. Bye.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I know it is not a ripoff or anything, but I saw My Daughter Left The Nest and Returned as an S-Class Adventurer first and that taking me out of this a little. Plus MDLTNARAASCA so far seems better, more heart, better character, etc.

And I want to like this show, I love the Kurosuki type of scene transitions and witches rule.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:26 am Reply with quote
The second episode was a bit better, though when it comes to jokes/gags, it is always subjective.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
5 episodes in and it is still pretty entertaining. The fifth episode is particularly memorable due to the sweet potatoes being turned into horrible monsters.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:45 am Reply with quote
A couple more episodes have come out and there have now also been butt fairies and a sleep deprived and creepy as hell sandman. The first few episodes were a bit mild, but it has become one heck of a wild ride.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Viola is 16 years old, has the body of an adult, but as a mind set of a kid. I wonder who do you think is more mentally mature, Viola, or Anya from Spy x Family?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
Good lord, next week is already the last episode of this. Unless the last episode goes horribly, I would recommend the series if you want a bit of dumb fun. The characters are nice and zany and overall the jokes are more hit than miss.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
Well, that was the first and probably only season about a weird family and friends. Nothing much to add compared to the last post, I will add for @zfunk that Viola is a bit of a weird case when it comes to being mature. Anything related to her mother makes her seem like a young child, yet when the mother is not present she can handle herself fine and she seems quite talented in things like cooking and witchcraft.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I know it will probably be a bit strange to say about a silly comedy series, which I don't think was ever what I would call amazing, with jokes that didn't really get me to really laugh out loud rather than just think a bit funny silly, but I feel a bit emotional. Maybe it is just the fact that it is a story about a family, but I feel a bit sad to see that is now over, and maybe if I was more open to it, I might have even cried a bit.

Maybe it is something like Viola being so emotive, it feels a bit sad that this is the end. Which I would really think is rare after how many shows I have been through.

Also, probably not related, but other characters with muscles.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:14 am Reply with quote
They did manage to put their weird family in the spotlight in an effective way during the whole series. The show is not amazing, yet it is another one of those greater than the sum of its parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1