• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Speedrating for Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ouguiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Recently, I was browsing the site a little bit, adding a few more animes which I have seen to my "seen" list, and giving ratings for them, when suddenly I noticed something interesting:

Code Geass, the second one, is already rated the 4. best anime in the world by 267 people. Yet strangly, only 6 episodes are out so far.

What asonishes me with this is: Why and how can those 267 people rate something, when they do not even know the ending for it, and only CAN know 23 % of the anime?

In my opinion, this speedrating leads to bad results. Animes which may have a good start but a horrible, sickness-causing ending get rated immensly high.

Now, some people may say: Well, they probably read ahead in the manga, so they already KNOW the ending is going to be good.

The fact, however, remains, that if that be the case, then these people should rate the MANGA, that is what the manga rating is for. Also, knowing the ending from a manga doesn't always mean knowing the end of it's anime, as has been proven on countless occasions (Elfen Lied, Claymore, and others).

I have also oft heard the argument: "Well, when the anime is out, those people will correct their ratings, if they find it bad." If so, then where is the need to rush with the rating in the first place?

A fair rating should only be given when considering the ENTIRE anime, not just the first few episodes.

Also, sometimes I have heard the statement: "If it's a manga like Berserk, then we can wait forever till giving a rating."
That's true... If there is absolutly no end in sight, then giving a rating after having seen a good deal (and by that I mean more than 20 pieces), then a rating can be given. However, the release, and end date for Code Geass 2 are well defined, and thus there is no need to speed-overrate it.

It is a sad truth, that film makers have often registered at popular sites, just to give ultra good ratings, even before the film was finished, just to get good publicity for it beforehand. This has been seen at amazon and other such sites countless times.

I really do hope that AnimeNewsnetwork doesn't end in a battleground, where each and every anime company tries to push their anime higher and higher, trying to get it to the top of the list.

I have full feith however, that if an anime really is bad, that the majority of the users will not succumb to the pretty illusions of the first few episodes (where the studios have the most money and the most time), and will not give marketing companies much chance.

Yours,

Ouguiya

[EDIT: Fixed animes -> anime in thread title. Yes, I'm anal-retentive about such things.~Zalis]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The real result is that it makes absolutely no difference what people rate a show because people have different tastes. People rate Naruto and Bleach high, that doesn't mean they're good shows, and they're not finished either. It's all a matter of opinion and subjectivity.

As for Code Geass R2, only 4 episodes have aired so far. And those 4 episodes alone are still enough for some people to make a valid enough decision. However, it doesn't work with everyone. I don't rate an anime unless I finish it, generally, or unless it was pure crap and I couldn't, but my rating in terms of a number system still won't be exact.

Though this does bring up a good point about buying anime DVDs by the volume if every volume only contains 4 episodes. Listening to reviews is important if you've never seen it before.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really matter if people rate this anime now or later as not only is there a lot of hype which seems to improve peoples' opinion of a show without seeing all of the evidence yet, but as time goes along more and more will see the show and the ratings will balance out. Such a high place is only temporary. Code Geass R2 was 1st for a while, and not it's down to 4th. That rating should steadily drop as the more casual fans of the show begin to watch it.

I'll admit that I've rated shows before I've finished them, and most recently I gave Real Drive a "Masterpiece" rating after only seeing two episodes. Yes my opinion may change over time, but it's fun to see how it changes and to document it along the way. There is never a time when I (and most people probably) have a concrete opinion about a show that is unwavering. I've watched some shows twice and thought much better or worse of them as a result, but just because I saw the whole thing once doesn't mean my rating would never change even then.
Ein007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The real result is that it makes absolutely no difference what people rate a show because people have different tastes. People rate Naruto and Bleach high, that doesn't mean they're good shows, and they're not finished either. It's all a matter of opinion and subjectivity.

As for Code Geass R2, only 4 episodes have aired so far. And those 4 episodes alone are still enough for some people to make a valid enough decision. However, it doesn't work with everyone. I don't rate an anime unless I finish it, generally, or unless it was pure crap and I couldn't, but my rating in terms of a number system still won't be exact.

Though this does bring up a good point about buying anime DVDs by the volume if every volume only contains 4 episodes. Listening to reviews is important if you've never seen it before.

I agree i think people jump on the wagon a little to early when rating a show. Some people think that it is a good anime and they rate it prematurally and then it starts to turn into a crappy anime. However in this world people are too impatient to wait and give a rating later on in the series (if i offended anybody by this statement I'M Sorry).
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I really doubt any company comes on here and tweaks with the ratings, atleast to any large degree. The new good stuff is always top, period. They always start in the top 10 and always drop in time.

Take a simple look around. The anime at the top of the lists, not including ones out for a few weeks, usually have large followings and are said to be good by the majority. You can check personal lists from regular users or the top 10 anime post stickied at the top of the forums here. I doubt the ANN ratings will ever be a battle ground for anyone but those who vehemently disagree with them, which by definition are in the minority.

I'm pretty sure anime can be used as singular or plural too. No "s" needed.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I tend not to rate things until I've decided what I think, but I can decide early on, and why not? I've always thought those people who concentrated purely on the "ending" of something are fickle. How can you hate a show just because you didn't agree with the ending? That's pure sillyness IMO. The journey is every bit as important as the destination in such things. That said, not everyone (obviously) agrees on this point with me, so just like you get those rating a series highly after a few episodes, you get those who rate it poorly just because the ending "sucks" even though they liked the rest of the show enough to continue watching it all the way to that point.

I hated the ending of Evangelion (all of the endings I've seen). Yet overall I still think it's a good show and like watching most of it. Same thing for Berserk.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I've always thought those people who concentrated purely on the "ending" of something are fickle. How can you hate a show just because you didn't agree with the ending? That's pure sillyness IMO. The journey is every bit as important as the destination in such things. That said, not everyone (obviously) agrees on this point with me, so just like you get those rating a series highly after a few episodes, you get those who rate it poorly just because the ending "sucks" even though they liked the rest of the show enough to continue watching it all the way to that point.

Although you're probably expecting comments like this, I'll say that a bad ending, for me, ruins the rewatch value. If I'm watching an otherwise enjoyable show which I know suffers a flawed conclusion, I find the "journey" difficult to appreciate on its own merit knowing that I'm going to end up lamenting over what could have been. Normally when I'm left in that sort of situation I just end up withholding judgement when it comes to giving the show a rating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
This happens with every mega-popular series, as also seen with Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Death Note. The people who are DLing those episodes as they first come out are the ultra-fanatics who really like a given series. Especially with a sequel series like Code Geass R2 -- people who didn't like the first series aren't going to bother with watching or rating the second, unless it's to give troll low ratings. If you don't believe in this "sequel syndrome," check out the ratings for Aria the Origination on a certain other anime database. 100% perfect reviews, 9+ overall rating. Not surprising, since everyone watching a third series about girls rowing gondolas are people that love the whole franchise.

As more people see a given series, the more it will fall in the rankings, since it'll reach into the more casual audiences. MoHS easily topped the chart at the start of its fansub run, but it's dropped out of the top 10 now that it's completely released in R1. So in general, I don't think "speedrating" is a major cause for concern, because any so-called "overrated" titles will have their ratings averaged away over time.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
...a third series about girls rowing gondolas...

But the fate of Mars depends on the undines! Are you not gripped by the gripping tension?! You make it sound so pedestrian, or float-estrian...whatever. Wink

Seriously though,
Zalis116 wrote:
...in general, I don't think "speedrating" is a major cause for concern, because any so-called "overrated" titles will have their ratings averaged away over time.

I agree. After time the outliers (outliars? hehe) will no longer lie so far outside the mean relative to the other data points...voila, the magic of statistics and adequate sample size takes over!

Myself, I try to not rate things too high or too low prior to seeing more than a few episodes unless the early ones really make a strong impression on me, such as Ghost Hound, which drew me in very quickly, and Final Approach, which made me think seriously about my own sanity and finding a new hobby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
What baffles me is how the proposed 2009 Gundam Seed Movie already has 10 votes even though I think it's still in the writing stage.

Even more impressive are the 32 time travelers who rated Bubblegum Crisis 2041 which is as most in the preproduction/hiatus stage.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
There is, supposedly, a group of anti-speed raters who deliberately lowball a series so that the effect of the speed raters is neutralized. These, if I recall, were said to come after the speed ratings were over but before the general R1 release--mostly people who were outraged that certain shows jumped to the top n list and remained there for a long time.

The problem can be solved pretty easily by just imposing a minimum time before a series can appear on a top list. If an old series hasn't been added to the Encyclopedia for the past m years, it's unlikely that people will be jumping to give it high ratings and allowing it to appear on the top n list. But the speed raters give an easy way of seeing "what's hot," and hiding the series from the top list for some time will cause less anti-speed raters to rate it, so why not keep the system as is?

larinon wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
...a third series about girls rowing gondolas...

But the fate of Mars depends on the undines! Are you not gripped by the gripping tension?! You make it sound so pedestrian, or float-estrian...whatever. Wink

Wait... what? Aria isn't just about girls rowing gondolas? I was hoping for a nice, quiet manga series to read after finishing YKK. Sad
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
Speed rating? I prefer to think of it as a tentative rating... I mean if you can rate a dvd why can't you rate an anime after 3-4 episodes? Personally I would give Geass an 8 atm after 4 episodes, a couple of good episodes could bump that to a tentative rating of 9, a few more that make me go ehh like 4 did and I'll drop it to a 7. As for Geass it was always going to be 2x 25 episodes series so you can consider Turn 1-4 more like Stage 26-29... it's a pity Rurouni Kenshin can't be split into 3 entries so Kyoto can be where it should be and not dragged down by the average start and the very poor last 3rd that got the series canceled.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
As long as people's ratings reflect their genuine opinion of what they've seen, it's all good. They're just a way for people to get a rough estimate of what other people think anyway, there's really no need for anyone to care that X show is higher than Y show; most spammed votes are pretty obvious if you're not one of those people that just hates on popular shows or one of those who refuses to accept that others don't like your favorite show as much as you do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
Fanboys!

What more do you need to know? Razz
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
I have to say, I find this effect as irritating as the OP. It's not unusual to see dozens of Masterpiece ratings for a show that has only had one episode aired, if even that.

All the same, it's not something that has a long-term effect, because the rating system heuristics are robust. These things average out over time -- look at The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for a good example of something that was "raved up" to begin with, but dropped after a while.

If you are concerned about deliberate spamming of the rating system, I refer you to this thread.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2